GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Guys

Not only for all I've learned here, but after requesting some feedback on an auxiliary fuel cell I'm thinking of building: I got a lot of good feedback; talked to old and new friends on the phone about options and hardware; I was given some important things to consider and some good resources for parts and information. then Jon stepped up, converted my plans to CAD, and offered to have his shop prototype and built it! I figured I'd have to make a cardboard fake and then go searching for someone to actually build the darn thing. What a nice surprise to find these resources without even asking! (Many thanks Jon, you may have to rename your business: Lights, Meters, and Fuel Cells!)

I'm riding north on Sunday to have the tank plate swapped out for one that already has a fitting welded in and pick up some chrome plated quick-disconnect fittings. Thanks Ron!

Along with a few other folks, Dale C and I exchanged a few information packed e-mails then, holly cow, Dale sends me these pictures:

Thanks Dale. I almost cried, man! It was nice to get feedback and absolutely incredible to actually have someone show me what it might look like. Now, I can't wait to get it on my bike and go someplace... far, far away. I owe you lunch Bro!!! (and a fuel cell full of gas :lol:)

Pist... that R-1 almost makes me miss my Katana :twisted:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Quickdraw - not a problem and I am thoroughly happy to help in this important endeavor. I was originally prepared a few weeks back to purchase a RCI 5 gallon tank, but discovered that particular tank would not work both due to size (exceeds 4.8 gallons) and after building a proto type of the same tank discovered it severely limited the ability to open the rear trunk. So building a sample tank is definitely a way to see how things fit before you commit to a more expensive metal tank.

Although the photos are rather poor quality and taken on the fly so to speak, I think you quickly see your tank shape is great for the rear passenger seat and seems to work pretty well. There still is some limitation in opening the trunk to about 6 to 8 inches, but I think you can work within those boundaries easily enough.

The R1 belongs to my oldest son and actually is up for sale. It's a 2000 R1 with less than 700 miles on it and in mint condition (yes it will just barely beat the 1800 in a quarter mile race). He bought it new and then his own company took off like a rocket and his riding time has been non-existent, plus he's taken a greater interest in flying planes. Oh well, it looks good next to the Wing.

Hopefully the photos will help in the pursuit of a great GL1800 auxiliary fuel tank.

DaleC

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I should build a cardboard one too... and totally freak out my neighbor, who is a holder of several iron butt certificates....

That'd get his attention.... :lol:

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AL2000 said:
Can make the 50CC/100CCC how about riding with me on the Trans Canadian in June?
I'd love to Alan! I just don't know if I can get away during that time of year. IB Mike has already invited me to ride with him. I saw in the rules that I need to complete a BBG first, which I'm going to try to complete in May. I figured this tank would help, but I'm really trying to get it done in time for his little B2B2B run in April.

Of course, I have mentioned your name and web site here several times, because I used some of your information (as always).

I've invited folks to lurk around the MTF board too!

There still is some limitation in opening the trunk to about 6 to 8 inches
I think I see were I went wrong and what to change to fix it. I need to go out to the shop and make one or two more measurements, but I think making an angle at the back will do it. I'll do some calculations for widening the wings too so the capacity stays about the same.

I got your other pictures this morning!!! Thanks for doing this!

Team Work is Fun!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
QD - looking good. Might just have to get serious about this
although I promised myself I'd wait until next winter for a
fuel cell.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After looking at the prototype Dale built and him describing that the trunk won't open as planned, I had him send me some more pictures.

Bad Designer!! Bad, Bad, Bad! I missed a measurement, but I guess that's why we make prototypes :p

I think this revised version will do the job, and it's only a half inch wider to maintain the 4.7 gal capacity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Quickdraw, can you ping me off-line or send me a message
via the BBS? Got a question for you.

thanks,

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is a really clean looking design. Mine has to be a bit higher as I have the Corbin seat with the arm rests. The arm rests prevent me from widening the tank. But I want to be able just plug and remove and like you want to be able to raise the trunk, so I have a really odd shape.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AL2000 said:
I have a really odd shape.
Sorry to hear that Alan :p Mine is pretty normal - getting rounder in the middle though!

Really, I hadn't noticed the arm rests, so I went back to your site and looked closer. Dang, those would be in the way. Something like Ron's tank is too wide also??

Since you don't mind putting a backrest on the tank, how about something like this: where the main body fits between the arm rests and the pods give you the extra capacity you're looking for? As long as the rear of the tank is only the height of the the seats rear cushion, as I overlooked in my first design, the trunk should open quite a ways. The "pods" could even wrap around beside you if needed. You might even get enough capacity if the tank was very tall. That just depends on how much you need the trunk to open I think. You probably don't want a head rest either :lol:

<Pictures removed> QD

·
Registered
260 Posts
My new tank has the same basic profile as your tank. I have a flat v-cutout so I can use my Corbin Backrest. It is just a bit taller. More the shape of the Jaz Cell.

I've got an oil leak somewhere. Looks like the ride side, but I also found some oil near the shifter on the left side. So I'm going to have to take the bike to the dealer. That will probably throw a glitch in getting my tank done next week.

I lower vent ducts on both sides out today and blocked the openings. They are pretty useless and I need the space for electrical goodies.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I remember right, IB Mike had a little leak in the timing cover gasket.
Good luck with the fix and the tank! TTY on the MTF too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts