GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hesitate to even throw this out there because the opinions regarding the need (or not) for a 6th gear on the mighty Wing has been beaten to death :roll:. But I wanted to say that there is an article in the Summer 2011 issue of "Iron Butt" magazine (pages 58-62) that talks about factors effecting fuel economy. Many of the illustrative charts and graphs are based on GL1800 performance (some real, some computer-derived). Included within the article is a graph showing the theoretical effect of a 6th gear on the Wing at various cruising speeds. The graph is interesting, but to quote from the text, "With standard gearing, the Gold Wing is running just under 3,000 rpm at a true 70 mph and getting 40.9 mpg....with the addition of a 6th gear that reduces engine speed by 40%. At 70 mph, the engine speed is reduced to just under 1800 rpm. Friction losses are reduced and the throttle has to be opened wider to achieve the required power level, which reduces throttling losses. Engine efficiency improves enough to increase the fuel economy to 49.5 mpg." in fact, at 50 mph, based on the graph the Wing would be hovering around 70 mpg!

The article does go on to explain why Honda (and other manufacturers) don't gear their bikes like this. And to paraphrase, the riding public isn't accustomed to downshifting to pass on the highway. He does talk about the better gearing (from a fuel economy perspective) on the K1600GT, and the consequences, "Sure enough, in one of the first road tests of the K1600GT, the journalist complained that top gear acceleration performance was not as good as the K1300GT" (which has a much less efficient gearing set-up).

Ride safe!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know.

Seems to me if you let off the gas going down a 6% grade in high gear and you slow down, you are geared too low.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
It's a very complicated formula involving primarily wind resistance, engine characteristics, etc. Just adding a higher gear to any motorcycle or vehicle is not a linear function and can often fail to produce intended results. All those gear ratios and drive train specs are not pulled out of thin air.

That said, I get tickled with the people who buy the heaviest, most wind resistant motorcyle on the planet and then want it to get the same fuel economy as a 650 cc street bike. There are always tradeoffs and I love the Wing for what it does and how it does it. If I had wanted 54 mpg I would have kept my Suzuki Dl650. Just sayin.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
One of the comparison criterion is usually top gear roll-on acceleration. If you have overdrive, you're probably gonna lose that one against a bike that doesn't have it. I don't pay much attnetion to that one.
Who says Americans aren't accustomed to downshifting to pass? Any one who has ridden a motorcycle for any time is.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ok, so I'll downshift...

Maybe even twice...

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
One of the comparison criterion is usually top gear roll-on acceleration. If you have overdrive, you're probably gonna lose that one against a bike that doesn't have it. I don't pay much attnetion to that one.
Who says Americans aren't accustomed to downshifting to pass? Any one who has ridden a motorcycle for any time is.
Actually the 1800 already has two overdrives. 4 & 5th gears are overdrive. Adding a 6th gear would bring it to 3 ODs. For the 6th gear to work the transmission and rear gear ratios would have to be redone.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I'm not a mechanical engineer, was not invited to Japan to consult with Honda engineers, also was not privy to Honda engineers conversations when they designed and tested the engine, transmission, and differential, so basically don't have sufficient understanding to criticise their decisions.

I'm 100% satified with my Goldwing the way Honda built it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6th, 7th,8th...

where will it stop? if I had a 6th gear on my 1800 I would nore than likely be looking for a 7th or 8th...etc. I like mine where it is would'nt change a thing. Except bling of course.

Just saying..:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Keep the 5 gears in the transmission

Add another gear to the rear and make it a "10 speed"

Then increase the engine to 2000+cc

and add an electric windshield

and add.......

Oh forget it, I am quite happy with my Goldwing just the way it is....my non-Goldwing toruing friends have trouble keeping up with me, especiall when going uphill or passing slower moving traffic

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's all theory till they put one in there and see where the tach lands with it.

The fact is, it doesn't have one and doesn't look like one is in the near future.

It is what it is, so if you can't live with it, it might be time to move on. Juat saying.

YMMV

·
Registered
476 Posts
gears

I agree with RodFarmer... o.k. where do I get the U.S. map to color in when I go through the states? Thanks.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Put on a 70 series tire to simulate a taller final gear. You may find as I have that even that minuscule increase has no impact whatsoever on fuel consumption but dramatically impacts roll on acceleration.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I'm 100% satified with my Goldwing the way Honda built it.
There are a few little things that I would like to have different on my Wing such as a gear counter, but since I stay off of the interstates as much as I can and as a result my speeds are rarely over 60-65 mph, I am happy as a clam with 5 cogs. I have had bikes in years past that had 6 speed boxes such as my RD400 Yamahas, but they really did benefit with the extra gear. With the powerband the Goldwing has even a 5 speed box seems borderline superfluous.

·
Registered
850 Posts
With standard gearing, the Gold Wing is running just under 3,000 rpm at a true 70 mph and getting 40.9 mpg....with the addition of a 6th gear that reduces engine speed by 40%. At 70 mph, the engine speed is reduced to just under 1800 rpm
That is some serious reduction in rpm's. What in the same hill are they comparing this to?
Gearing that tall would kill your mpg in Alabama. The engine would work a lot harder.
I have a 07 Ultra and a 2011 cross country, both 6 speeds. Neither has a gearing that tall. Ultra drops about 500 rpms and the XC drops around 300 rpms
The XC uses the 6th gear more efficiently. Your talking about around 1,000 rpms drop. That is a bunch
My ford focus only drops about 350-375 rpms

I will stick to my 5 speed thank you

1 - 20 of 39 Posts