GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a ride today with the local GW club. When I refilled the tank (same level) pumped 3.01 gal at 120.5 miles. So riding two-up the bike got approx. 40 mpg. Not bad for gas pump calculations might be less than that but about the best I can do. FJR had a mpg computer so it was an easy check.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
My 06, in warm weather, always gave me 43 to 45mpg, 2 up, highway riding. That's "Honda" mpg's on uncorrected odometer.
Now getting 35/36 mpg since triked. That's now "Hannigan" mpg's!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually surprised. With the Goldwing weighing in at over 900 pounds and with the two of us I didn't think it would do that well. The more I ride the GW I can see why people think it's a great bike. Big and powerful and once you get it going it's pretty nimble. 40 mpg is pretty impressive for an engine that large. :thumbup:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a friend here in Sierra Vista who teaches the motorcylcle safety classes and he has a GW. I took the class about 8 years ago (in another city) but was thinking of asking him for some lessons at low speed. My 29" inseam makes things a bit ungainly coming to a stop riding two up. The 2012 seat was made narrower up front so sliding forward helps some. Wonder what "tricks" there are to handle that much weight at low speeds?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJ, many thanks! Watching the video brought back memories of the class. I had forgotten about the figure 8 course and the "head" turning. I think I will give my friend a call and maybe see what he can do. That turning confidence is important. I'll also think about getting the video. When I was riding the FJR I bought the Keith Code book and video and found both to be valuable and worth the money. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Check out the Ride Like a Pro video. The class is better than the video, but watching still helps. You might also enjoy the book "Maximum Control." Head and eyes!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
2012 Fuel Mileage 38 MPG

I'm at about 1,000 miles and getting 38 mpg commuting through city traffic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm getting between 38-40mpg, but still under 1,000 miles.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Taking my new (to me) trailer for a two day shake down cruise I got between 41.5 mpg on the backroads to 38 mpg on the freeway with the cruise set at an actual 70 miles an hour. Considering all the more cargo space that I now have I will gladly give up 3-4 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
863 Posts
with 1969 miles as of right now, returning from a 1700 mile trip, i got the following mileages: 41.31 and 41.66 of BRP and sounding roads/gaps--ridden like a sportbike. on back road mixed at 55/60mph I got 38.72mpg. on steady interstate with cruze set at 79 but majority of time at 85 with much close to 100, I got 33.81. all mileages with bags full and two waterproof bags strapped behind me. the most comfortable ride and speed for me is 94mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have 8000mi on my 2012 and am getting 42-43mpg at 50-60mph and 36-37mpg at 75-85 mph slab riding. all are 2 up. i do have my windshield at max height.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 Goldwing MPG

My 2012 Goldwing is staying pretty steady at 45 MPG at interstate speeds and about 40 MPG in and around town. I have 4500 miles on it since I bought it on July 22nd 2011. :superman1:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fuel Mileage

Went on a ride today with the local GW club. When I refilled the tank (same level) pumped 3.01 gal at 120.5 miles. So riding two-up the bike got approx. 40 mpg. Not bad for gas pump calculations might be less than that but about the best I can do. FJR had a mpg computer so it was an easy check.
I only have 2300 miles on the clock, but I've been getting an impressive 45+ mpg.
I did some easy So Cal riding yesterday, with about 12 other bikes. Hwy, twisties, and back roads. Speeds were moderate.
We decided to top off at 108 miles and I was able to "squeeze" 2.3 gallons into the tank.

I'm not very good with math, but I'm told that is close to 47mpg.

Leave for a 5 day trip through No. Cal next week. I'll check it again.

Curious to see what happens at 4k once the breakin oil is changed.

So far fuel costs have not prevented me from making my 401k contributions.
bbc:cool:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I only have 2300 miles on the clock, but I've been getting an impressive 45+ mpg.
I did some easy So Cal riding yesterday, with about 12 other bikes. Hwy, twisties, and back roads. Speeds were moderate.
We decided to top off at 108 miles and I was able to "squeeze" 2.3 gallons into the tank.

I'm not very good with math, but I'm told that is close to 47mpg.

Leave for a 5 day trip through No. Cal next week. I'll check it again.

Curious to see what happens at 4k once the breakin oil is changed.

So far fuel costs have not prevented me from making my 401k contributions.
bbc:cool:
There is no break in oil!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
if I'm riding in the Smokies where the speeds are all pretty limited, I've gotten 50mpg several times.
On my weekly 255 mile commute to OKC, riding I-40 at 75mph, I usually manage to get around 40mpg ... which I find consistently impressive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts