GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 GL1800A 38K miles Bought this bike last spring with 23K and am in the middle of performing maintenance. As I was putting the top shelter back on, I remembered that I failed to replace the fuel filter. In searching the service manual I found there was no filter other than the screen on the pump. Is there a good place to install a fuel filter, or should I just leave it without a filter. This is my 6th Goldwing, but the first without a filter and feel that having one would be a good idea. Any cons on installing a filter?

There are so many knowledgeable wrenches on here that have much more experience with the 1800 than I have so TIA for any input.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
2001 GL1800A 38K miles Bought this bike last spring with 23K and am in the middle of performing maintenance. As I was putting the top shelter back on, I remembered that I failed to replace the fuel filter. In searching the service manual I found there was no filter other than the screen on the pump. Is there a good place to install a fuel filter, or should I just leave it without a filter. This is my 6th Goldwing, but the first without a filter and feel that having one would be a good idea. Any cons on installing a filter?

There are so many knowledgeable wrenches on here that have much more experience with the 1800 than I have so TIA for any input.
There is no filter. There is a filter sock on the foot of the pump but not serviceable.
It seems odd to me.

Jeff..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is no need for a filter beyond the pump. There are now bikes with over 200K and some with 300K that have never had fuel issues.

If you were to install a secondary filter, the system operates at 50 PSI, filters that will withstand that would be kinda large, a little plastic one would in fact be dangerous.

I have never been sure of the why or the reason a good filter was not designed into the bike beyond the pump, automobiles have them, and it would seem to be a good thing but the history of these bikes prove that it is not required.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No fuel filter on the wifes 02 Accord. Just the pump screen.

Calc'ed out that we used about 6800 gallons of gas through that screen before we sold the car. No problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts