GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find my previous post regarding this one. We did a test on the main tank float after making up a tool from some steel bar to undo the cap. The readings were correct against the workshop manual. Yesterday we made up a length of wire and spliced it into the original black/grey wire from the top of the float cap and ran it to the fuel gauge again doing the same. The gauge still only goes to the line below the full line and since doing this the needle is slow coming down the scale but eventually reaches the bottom after switching off. All this has arisen since the Meter assembly was taken off to check the Tacho and Cruise control has something been done to the fuel gauge when it was off the bike for checking? The wire that has been used is slightly thicker than Honda, will this make a difference to the needle? At the end of the day all it means is that I have a larger reserve of fuel in the tank so if I reset the Trip at every fill up I can see how far I have been.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Huh??...........:shrug::shrug:

Fuel gauge is controlled by two floats, one in the tank, one in the fuel pump.

Most likely got your wires crossed :joke:

·
Vendor
17,542 Posts
No special tool needed to remove fuel sending unit or fuel pump. Just tap those big special lock rings with a hammer and screw driver.

I take it that you fuel gauge is reading low after the dash cluster was disassembled ... correct? No, your test wire size is just fine. The answer to your problem will most likely be found by correcting the ground connection in the dash cluster. Reseat the connectors at the back of the dash cluster and the ones at the back of the fuel gauge too if needed.

Also, is the gauge mounted correctly .... needle draging on the gauge plate ... any thing like that???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts