GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am filling my wing with 87 grade in general. So do I do in my Expedition.
In the car, I started hearing a noise (like bell rininging) that with my mechanics advised, moved to 89 grade and few tank fills and it was gone.

Can moving to 89 grade on a wing harm anything? do I need to adjust anything? :shrug:

...will it improve anything ? :lol:

Thanks for your advise, in advance.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
A Goldwing shouldn't need anything other than 87.

I'd switch the brand of gas on the Expedition, going back to 87, and see if the problem reappears.

It could be the brand of gas that is the problem, not its octane rating.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
The GL1800 has knock sensors in the engine, that will tell the ECM to retard the timing if it senses pinging or knocking.

Most people run 87 in the GL1800 with no problems. However, I have heard some pinging on hard acceleration at low RPM's on my 2002, though I don't hear it on my new 2009 at all.

I don't think it would hurt anything to go up one grade in gas, but it might not help anything either unless your bike is pinging.

A couple other interesting points worth thinking about are that higher octane fuels actually have lower specific energy outputs, so if you run high octane and don't need it, you could actually be reducing power output.

I have also heard it said that higher octane gas burns cleaner and leaves less deposits in your combustion chamber, though I don't know that to be a fact. It's possible that this could be because many fuel stations put higher levels of cleaner (like Chevron Techron) in their premium fuels than what they put in the lower grade fuels.

Also, it's entirely possible that your knock sensors are picking up noises that you can't hear and telling the ECM to reduce the timing, and that if you ran a higher octane gas, the ECM would advance the timing a bit (thus helping overall performance), since now the knock sensors are not activating.

For What It Is Worth, I have always run 87 octane, and probably will continue to do so. I ran a few tanks of 89 and 91 a few years back, and noticed no change in gas mileage or performance, so I came to the conclusion it was a waste of money.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did the recall for the ECM on my 2002. Prior to the recall, I never remembered having any pinging. After the new ECM was installed, I started getting some pinging on hard acceleration. During the hot months, in Arizona, the pinging is more noticeable. If I fill up with premium, it's still there. I have a pre-recall ECM that I bought awhile ago, but have not installed. I may go ahead and install it when I have some free time to see if there is a diffference. I have read on this post that the old ECM also has better low end performance than the new one. When I get it done, I will post my results.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It could be the ethenol. I was told to try the midgrade because the additives counteract the alcohol content. I have no idea if this is true because I haven't had any problems. I did try it but didn't see any milage improvement.
Try it out but worst case it won't hurt, just may reduce milage a bit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
if you are hearing pinging first try not lugging under load. keep the revs up. pinging can do irreversible damage to the engine. it is equal to hitting the top of the piston with a hammer, thus the ringing noise you hear. if that does,nt fix it go up on the octane till the noise disappears. pinging is caused by the mixture exploding instead of the smooth burn that it is supposed to do. very destructive for the engine. bill

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Every 3 tanks or so I add Seafoam to the gas, I use 87 octane. Keeps everything nice and clean.

With Today's gas quality and corn syrup they add, I make it part of my routine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Spark knock...

When I attended a Gold Wing school in the 70's, we had a Champion spark plug representative give a demonstration and talk in our class one day. I remember him telling us that when there is spark knock present, it is the equivalent of a hammer coming down on the top of a piston with several tons of force( it was either ten or twenty tons....I can't remember for sure). Fortunately, my 07 runs fine on even the cheapest, low octane gas available....no knock at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Every 3 tanks or so I add Seafoam to the gas, I use 87 octane. Keeps everything nice and clean.

With Today's gas quality and corn syrup they add, I make it part of my routine.
Just a note... That corn syrup is a really good cleaner. Really good. It is probably doing a better job of cleaning out that seafoam stuff. (Just Joking)

But seriously, ethanol is very good at cleaning the insides of old gas tanks. They look brand new after a couple of tanks. If your area has recently switched to ethanol you should change your fuel filter soon because it is probably close to being plugged from all that old sludge in your gas tank. Not to mention what it is cleaning out of your station's tanks.

When we (USA) start making ethanol out of sugar cane like the rest of the world I'll be more in favor it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you are hearing pinging first try not lugging under load. keep the revs up.
2 types of "pinging" detonation and pre-ignition. If you are having pinging while lugging the engine this is more likely pre-ignition problem. Pre-ignition is caused by hot spots (carbon build up perhaps) in the cylinders and is more damaging than detonation. Continual operation with a pre-ignition condition melts pistons.

The act of lugging the engine should cause a richer mixture of fuel in the cylinders which would help prevent pinging being caused by detonation.

pinging can do irreversible damage to the engine. it is equal to hitting the top of the piston with a hammer, thus the ringing noise you hear. if that does,nt fix it go up on the octane till the noise disappears.
True, true, but octane isn't always the fix...

pinging is caused by the mixture exploding instead of the smooth burn that it is supposed to do. very destructive for the engine. bill
That's detonation. I used to be able to tell when my 125cc shifter kart was detonating because it would quit running after the spark plug would become a solid tip of metal (no more gap) from the aluminum that came off the top of the piston.

If your Goldwing (with a knock senor) is pinging you should look into it ASAP or bring it to the shop. Every time you ride it you are just twisting the knife more and more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
2 types of "pinging" detonation and pre-ignition. If you are having pinging while lugging the engine this is more likely pre-ignition problem. Pre-ignition is caused by hot spots (carbon build up perhaps) in the cylinders and is more damaging than detonation. Continual operation with a pre-ignition condition melts pistons.

The act of lugging the engine should cause a richer mixture of fuel in the cylinders which would help prevent pinging being caused by detonation.

True, true, but octane isn't always the fix...

That's detonation. I used to be able to tell when my 125cc shifter kart was detonating because it would quit running after the spark plug would become a solid tip of metal (no more gap) from the aluminum that came off the top of the piston.

If your Goldwing (with a knock senor) is pinging you should look into it ASAP or bring it to the shop. Every time you ride it you are just twisting the knife more and more.
you are right on. i was trying to keep it short and simple. either way it is not a good thing. bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Higher Grade Fuel

I am filling my wing with 87 grade in general. So do I do in my Expedition.
In the car, I started hearing a noise (like bell rininging) that with my mechanics advised, moved to 89 grade and few tank fills and it was gone.

Can moving to 89 grade on a wing harm anything? do I need to adjust anything? :shrug:

...will it improve anything ? :lol:

Thanks for your advise, in advance.
Higher octane levels slows the burning of the fuel. This is required in high compression engine to prevent detonation (early fuel ignition). In a Goldwing low compression engine, higher octane can result in carbon build up on the valves. This happens due to the slower burn.

This has happened on several Yamaha Road Star engines due to them being low compression. They have had to get the heads removed and the valves decarboned. In extreme cases, the exhaust valevs have started sticking open.

Stay with the lower 87 octane fuel. The GW engine will like it.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I think the mechanic was wrong about your Expedition too. Mine ran very well on regular for 100,000 miles. Like the post above says, using a higher octane will eventually lead to excessive head carbon and plug fouling. Higher octane fuels do help the petrol refiners' bottom lines.

prs

·
Registered
357 Posts
higher octane fuel when not needed will actually make less hp. because of the slower burn. we found this out on a dyno run.there are also more resins in the fuel to slow the burn which contributes to carbon and gum build up. bill

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advise guys. from what I am reading, cheap may not be that bad when it comes to octane :thumbup:

Ride safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts