GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Wing that has always gotten very good mileage. It stayed around 44-46 MPG for the first 40,000 miles. It did not seem to matter much whether riding two up or one up, or uphill or down. Driving it fast did make the mileage drop though.

We returned from a trip to Colorado from Texas early last summer riding two up, and getting the usual mileage. Every since returning home though, fuel mileage dropped to 36 and 37 (20%) suddenly and has stayed there since.

I have heard of fuel pressure regulators sticking on Wings, but it seems like that would cause black smoke, fuel injection light illuminating, poor performance and the like. Strangely enough, this one still runs absolutely perfect with no drivability symptoms that I can detect other than the permanent mileage drop.

Anyone out there run into this before?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ecm

Did you try resetting ECM???

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Corn gas mixed with the regular at the pump. Mine did the same when all the stations had to go over to 10% corn gas junk. Mine went from avg or 41 to 38mpg. New air filter and new plugs didn't help.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
tlmcknight, The price of green.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can't tell where you're from but, if it's cold this time of year where you are and you ride in the cooler temps, you'll have a noticeable drop in mileage versus warmer temps. I experience this every winter. I ride to work most nights of the year. It's noticeable when temps are 40 degrees or lower and even more so when temps are in the 25-35 degree range. Mileage will jump back up to the 40's when it warms up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Air filter change. Worked for my 04

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Cooler temps, winter blend fuel and increased alcohol content...
All mileage killers.. My Wing never got better than 35 (corrected) in the Winter)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Corn gas mixed with the regular at the pump. Mine did the same when all the stations had to go over to 10% corn gas junk. Mine went from avg or 41 to 38mpg. New air filter and new plugs didn't help.
:agree: +1

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Could be one or more of the O2 sensors. They do not always light up a trouble code.

Could be the gas , or colder weather. If it continues on warm days, I would suspect a sensor causing the bike to run rich and burn more fuel.

Kit

·
Registered
286 Posts
Am I ever glad to see this post. I ride an 03 that I bought brand new in Feb. of 04. It currently has 123,000 miles on it. For about the last 15,000 miles I have noticed a drop in my fuel consumption. I have always gotten 40-42 mpg. As with others didn't seem to matter much 1 or 2 up, or even pulling the trailer. Now I'm more in the 37/38 mpg range and that is out on the road going tank to tank at 65-70 mph. I know these numbers are correct as I have the Dekota Digital installed and it is right on the money with my GPS. I know this may not seem like a big drop in mpg but I had been concerned that maybe with the amount of miles on it something had gone south on me. Sounds like maybe the only thing that has gone south is the fuel we all have to burn these days.:wrong: Oh well it's not going to change the ride time for me or the miles with smiles. Ride safe and have fun, Red Bull

1 - 10 of 10 Posts