GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 18 DCT since May and now have 8k miles on it. Love the bike overall. I'm curious to your fuel mileage. I get 48-50 poking around town but when I'm on a 200-300 mile interstate trip the milage is 41 - 42 at 75 -80 mph
Not complaining just curious. Best gas money I've ever spent! After reading this I realized that I had left out I am running a 20" slipstreamer windshield in the full up position when on the interstate. Kinda like pushing a 1/4 sheet of plywood, I guess.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Normally in the mid to high 40's, highest was 50.7 on a 177 mile trip, always on 87 Octane. Solo, no trailer. On my GWT6, 65 mph seems to be the sweet spot for Interstate cruising. Not sure how much is affected by the windscreen being up/down...

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
You guys are getting better than what I think I get.

prs

·
Registered
794 Posts
45 to 51mpg (without a headwind ) on freeway but 43 to 46 in town. My wife gets 49 to 53 at 75mph. Her trick is to use Tour when riding around town, but switch to Econ and cruise control on the freeway. Speed limit on freeway around here is 80, but we typically keep it at 75mph.

·
Registered
466 Posts
49.1 long term solo, about 30% of it at 80 mph. The rest in rural 55-65 mph, with the occasional light or gas stop.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
45 if around town only. When out on trips I get 48-50. Have gotten as high as 58 in the mountains.

·
Registered
454 Posts
36 to 39 mpg. Trikes are definitely not aerodynamic. That’s still over 200 miles to the tank. I’m plenty happy with that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The windshield does make a difference in the gas mileage. The more shield you have up, the more fuel you will burn. If you have a larger than stock aftermarket that will burn even more.

With that said I usually adjust my shield up just enough to get clean air. Maybe 2-3" at most on the highway, of course unless it is raining. At 65mph I usually get from 52-55mpg, 70mph it is 48-52mpg, 75mph about 44-47mpg and 80mph around 40-43mpg.

The above numbers can be impacted by winds accordingly.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Gonna be lots of variations from others with the way they ride and I don't think that you will see a statistically significantly different mpg with the Slipstream unless you got an extra 2 inches tall and run it all the way up all the time.

I just added the Slipstream +2" and it provides a minimal amount of wind protection on the arms so it isn't like riding in a complete bubble, not at least when comparing to the ole Tusla tall screens.

I'm getting 43.8 mpg compared to 39.4 mpg on my 2008 Wing and I drove pretty much both at 70 mph indicated and on the '08, it was actually 65 mph per my GPS.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I do run the wind screen at the point where my head is no longer in turbulence, but no higher.

I also have my legs tucked in hugging bike.

Someone riding with a tall screen up and splayed for an OB/GYN exam will definitely see a difference. Also the boutique gas blends that are required by law in some markets can reduce mileage too. And there are also seasonal gas blending issues.

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've gotten 56mpg once.. but normal is low 50's (51-53) riding solo on 87 octane at 65mph. If I go faster, the mileage drops. When I took the wife around Lake Michigan on a 1600+ mile trip, I was getting 48mpg two up and a trailer. BUT, once we got to the lake, I never took anything more then a 2 lane road and never over 60mph.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My "B" Trip Meter hasn't been changed since I bought the bike. In ~9,500 miles my average is 50.3 mpg. There's interstate and back road mileage in that total. I find that number amazing, especially considering I use regular gas at 87 octane. I'm always in Tour mode unless it's raining. On the highway, I usually put the windshield up all the way, especially when my wife is riding with me. When not on the highway, I look over the shield.

Took a 175 mile ride yesterday that had some highway, but mostly back roads. The average was 53.9 mpg. I ride a manual transmission and I've become more comfortable using 6th gear between 40 and 50 mph than when I first got the bike. I think that's helped push the mileage up.

8)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've become more comfortable using 6th gear between 40 and 50 mph than when I first got the bike. I think that's helped push the mileage up.
Holding the top gears without lugging does run it up.

I’ve been surprised at how hard the DCT in Tour mode tries to get to, and hang on to, 5, 6, and 7.

FWIW, a trip around a lake is often pretty level, and so that helps too.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Trip B

Currently trip B sits at 49.1 with over 4000 miles on the trip meter. It has been as high as 49.8 on trip B with long miles on the B side. It has been creeping down because I have been playing in the twisties a lot lately.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dct 44.7, according to Fuelly. I do have a larger windshield and there is a reason our state song includes the words “where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.”

·
Registered
15 Posts
WOW I feel like my bike is doing something wrong. On long trips of multiple gas tanks I get about 46-47 being easy on the throttle. Usually about 43 when I am out on my own running the bike harder. Seldom use sport mode. 2018 Std just one up. Still VERY HAPPY with the travel distance and not having to gas frequently like my ole Valkyrie...250 mile is long enough for a ride before a break.

·
Registered
612 Posts
2018 tour 34675 total miles. All fill ups logged. Worse mileage 119.9 driven, 3.014 gal = 39.7 mpg.
Best mileage, 115.6 driven, 1.871 gal = 61.7 mpg.

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour
1 - 20 of 21 Posts