GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my ECM changed last week. Before the change I was getting 38 – 42 miles per gallon (Honda miles) on an average. I am now getting around 33 MPG. When I called the dealer, the service advisor said that he was surprised that I was getting such good mileage before the ECM change. He said that only one other person out of hundreds who had their ECM changed at this dealership complained about a decrease in fuel mileage.

What kind of fuel mileage is everyone else getting?

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I always get in the area of 40 mpg + or - a little. My mileage increases when I go north and get away from sea level also! My mileage didn't change any after the ECM changeout!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have kept a record of each fill-up and its associated mileage since day-one and my average gas mileage is 49.3 MPG (Canadian) which equates to 41 MPG (U.S.). You guys have smaller gallons than we do. My mileage did not change since the ECM work. I drive moderately for the most part (speed limit + 10 mph) but like to crank it from stop lights from time to time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
40 Hmpg (37.5 mpg in real miles) before and after the ECM change.

If I ride agressively through the twisties, I will drop down to 35 Hmpg, but its worth it. :oops:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I usually get about 37 'Honda MPG' and haven't had the ECM change yet. Just installed the Yellow Box so will have to get used to lower MPGs in the future. :( No change in mileage really, just a lower number :? .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gas Mileage

My mileage got a little worse after the ECM change. I'm now getting around 35 mpg. I have never hit 40 mpg.

Cory
02 Pearl Orange

J

·
0 Posts
Gas Mileage

I don't seem to care what kind of Gas Mileage I get .... :D

Seems to depend on Highway or City driving and how much 'Fun' I'm having twisting the throttle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since the ECM change, mileage has dropped, pipes are now becoming sooty, doesn't have the pwoer it had, idles at 1500 RPM.After doing the ECM reset proceedure, idle returns to normal until I get on it and ride it a few miles. Then the idle speed returns to about 1500 RPM. I'd rather live with the overheat.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
ajacks said:
Since the ECM change, mileage has dropped, pipes are now becoming sooty, doesn't have the pwoer it had, idles at 1500 RPM.After doing the ECM reset proceedure, idle returns to normal until I get on it and ride it a few miles. Then the idle speed returns to about 1500 RPM. I'd rather live with the overheat.
Ajacks-
After you reset the ECM how long do you let it idle before you drive it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Motorcycle Mileage

I have been getting 40mpg consistently since my 2002 Orange "Wicked Witch" has been new!!! Long stints of 60mph driving improves it some, but only by 1 or 2mpg. No, I have not had the ecm change yet!! Still trying to decide if I need it; I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom.

By the way, we have a foot of snow on the ground here in Clayton, NY on the still unfrozen St Lawrence River; temperature is 33 degrees today

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have an 03 with 6000 miles. Get around 41/42 MPG Might have improved slightly with the ECM change. That is warm weather riding and not aggresive.

·
Registered
289 Posts
2002 GL1800 about 5,000 miles on it.
(Bought 2002 leftover late this summer.)
Mixed driving I got 45 --46 mpg BEFORE ECM change. ( Aug. --- Oct. )

Didn't have much riding in AFTER ECM change and the weather got quite cold here in NH so my one tank got 43 mpg after.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Paul,
You need it, believe me. When you get slowed to a 10 to 15 mph crawl for 15-20 minutes on a hot day due to construction or an accident, you will overheat. Secondly, many of the heads were not properly cast for ample water jacket volume. It matters.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I average in the low 40's before and after the ECM. Wihout the ECM, I was getting about 10 miles to a quart of Honda Coolant. That sucker would boil water faster than a Micro Wave can. Now with the ECM, life is good, or so it would appear.

I kind of agree with Joe Linguini, Mileage ain't really all that important to me, as long as the bike is running fine, and giving me 200+ miles to a tank full.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've hit highs of 40-41 and lows in the low 20s. Usually bout 32-34 mph. I've been on long rides with other 1800s and the milage varies between machines in the same conditions. Its all based on FM.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Only four months old, but 38-40 at 70 MPH general average. Then installed a speedometer corrector. Milage then dropped 34-38 MPH. Now with the cold, below 40, creeped down to 29 mph at last take. But then I was doing 70-80 mph at 28 degrees for awhile to. No ECM yet, backordered for FEB/MAR 2004 list. Happy Holidays.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts