GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of non-bike traveling, which resulted in my GW being in storage for the last 3 years. It ran well before.
Won't start now. Battery was weak, so replaced that. Turns over nicely now.
Checked spark - nice and fat.
No clicking sounds from fuel pump.
Plenty of fuel in the tank.
Did a fuel flow inspection as per page 5-56 of shop manual with no fuel flowing whatsoever from fuel return line.
Checked fuel pump voltage per the test on page 5-58 of shop manual. There is voltage.
Shop manual says, if there is voltage then "replace the fuel pump".
Question: wonder if the fuel pump screen is clogged. Also wonder if old fuel "stuck" the motor of the pump; and if, so how to "unstick". My old motor guru has suggested reversing polarity on the pump motor for a brief moment to get the motor running backward. Anyone done this?
My guess is that the replacement cost of the pump is pretty high. Where is the best place/price for a fuel pump.
Thanks for your comments and advice.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
You can buy the fuel pump from Ron Ayers for 231.74. I wouldn't go too far in trying to repair it and here is why I wouldn't. In our modern fuel injected vehicles most of the fuel pumps are located inside of the gas tank just as it is on our GL1800's. If you damage something and get a possible electric arc situation develope, you could have the possibility of a disaster. I'm a brave soul and do all of the maintenance on my bikes. However, logic sometimes tells me, don't go there! BTW, I had to pay $400.00 at Checker Auto for a replacement pump for my Astro Van, so the GW is cheap <G>!

I have been doing a lot of non-bike traveling, which resulted in my GW being in storage for the last 3 years. It ran well before.
Won't start now. Battery was weak, so replaced that. Turns over nicely now.
Checked spark - nice and fat.
No clicking sounds from fuel pump.
Plenty of fuel in the tank.
Did a fuel flow inspection as per page 5-56 of shop manual with no fuel flowing whatsoever from fuel return line.
Checked fuel pump voltage per the test on page 5-58 of shop manual. There is voltage.
Shop manual says, if there is voltage then "replace the fuel pump".
Question: wonder if the fuel pump screen is clogged. Also wonder if old fuel "stuck" the motor of the pump; and if, so how to "unstick". My old motor guru has suggested reversing polarity on the pump motor for a brief moment to get the motor running backward. Anyone done this?
My guess is that the replacement cost of the pump is pretty high. Where is the best place/price for a fuel pump.
Thanks for your comments and advice.

I

·
0 Posts
If you didn't run the system dry 3 years ago, or at least had put some StaBil in the gas and run it through the system, good chance the system and the pump are gummed up or corroded.

Don't know if the pump can be fixed. Even possible it is seized up and blew a fuse.

Ya can't just put a bike, car, or any other similar machine away for 3 years and expect it to fire up with no problems unless you carefully prepped it for storage.

Good luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
Our Sponser carries it.

Part # 16700-MCA-013 (replaces # 16700-MCA-003 for 01) $ 237.44 with free shipping.
RogerB

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think I would try removing the pump and spraying the heck out of it with carb cleaner. If it's gummed up then the fuel in the tank is now varnish and it will have to be drained dry. If you decided to do this and you remove the pump and get the pump making motor noise again. DO NOT RUN IT MORE THAT A SECOND OR TWO. That pump relies on the fuel to cool it. The bad news is that if the pump is gummed up it's a good chance the fuel lines and injectors are equally gummed. Maybe not since they weren't sitting in that tank of varnish that used to be gasoline. Worst case is the pump is burned out and you need to completely clean the fuel system including the injectors.

If you do mangage to get the pump working and the bike does start, at the very least I'd put some injector cleaner in a fresh tank of gas. Then don't go too far from home for a while.

$60 for a tank mounted fuel pump for the 1997 Chevy. $350 for my wifes Mitsubishi. So the GL is somewhere in between there...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have seen on a previous thread that the actual pump is the same part # that is used on other models of Honda cars. Pull the mechanism and look for part #'s on it and then check with your local auto parts shops for a comparison. You just might be in luck. Just my nickles worth.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
since this thread is from the middle of 2009, I SURE HOPE HE GOT IT RUNNING BY NOW!!!!!!! if not, he procrastinates more than I do!!!:lol::lol::roll:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Shucks maybe he has sold the bike by now.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Cycledude must be bored or else he's trying to get his post count up there with Fred....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts