GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've notice mine will hang at 88 miles left , then it will drop right to the 45 miles left and give me the low fuel warning.
Has anyone else seen this ?, and a fix for it?
Thanks
Pbr

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
Mine works great and is accurate.
Warranty item.
Mine drops gradually as well. For sure a warranty item, although I can't envision a way to document it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed mine hanging a couple of times, but don’t remember exactly where. It was toward the bottom, though. Haven’t noticed it lately, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It could be 'hanging' because once you notice the warning, you slow down to conserve fuel. Because you've slowed down, you are effectively increasing' your bike's range beyond the indicated 88 miles, and the display isn't calibrated to increase the readout. At your now lower speed and lower fuel consumption, the computer once again starts counting down from the displayed 88 miles when it is correct for your new, slower speed.

Just speculating.

Tim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be 'hanging' because once you notice the warning, you slow down to conserve fuel. Because you've slowed down, you are effectively increasing' your bike's range beyond the indicated 88 miles, and the display isn't calibrated to increase the readout. At your now lower speed and lower fuel consumption, the computer once again starts counting down from the displayed 88 miles when it is correct for your new, slower speed.

Just speculating.

Tim
Yeah I thought that also, however at bike normally doesn't warn you of low fuel until approximately 45 miles left then you get the flashing fuel light along with the blinking last fuel bar, but at 88 miles left I wouldn't lift the throttle yet to conserve,
I've even seen it go up to 90 left before going back to 88 before she drops to the 45 miles left. not sure either how to get it documented for the dealer to understand my issue, I also have the Windscreen issue too.
Thanks for everyone's input it's nice to have this resource for our issues.

Pbr

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
Yeah I thought that also, however at bike normally doesn't warn you of low fuel until approximately 45 miles left then you get the flashing fuel light along with the blinking last fuel bar, but at 88 miles left I wouldn't lift the throttle yet to conserve,
I've even seen it go up to 90 left before going back to 88 before she drops to the 45 miles left. not sure either how to get it documented for the dealer to understand my issue, I also have the Windscreen issue too.
Thanks for everyone's input it's nice to have this resource for our issues.

Pbr
I wonder if it would help to reinstall the firmware?

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,581 Posts

Just speculating.

Tim
I see this when I go out for a fun weekend ride. Lots of miles left. Then as I get a bit frisky with the road, the mileage remaining plummets. Then as I finish and head home - it'll hang for a LONG time without a change.

What is curious is that it will NEVER go back up. It'll just "sit" at a range until you finally fall below that range. I think it could be handy to have it go back up, if you've gone from spirited to normal driving for a while. It's OK to show increasing miles left, based on the last 10-20 miles of activity.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I see this when I go out for a fun weekend ride. Lots of miles left. Then as I get a bit frisky with the road, the mileage remaining plummets. Then as I finish and head home - it'll hang for a LONG time without a change.

What is curious is that it will NEVER go back up. It'll just "sit" at a range until you finally fall below that range. I think it could be handy to have it go back up, if you've gone from spirited to normal driving for a while. It's OK to show increasing miles left, based on the last 10-20 miles of activity.
I'll have to check my 2021 CR-V. I think it does go back up, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: ShanghaiDan

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
My low fuel indicator usually doesn't start flashing until 33-35 miles to go.

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
306 Posts
I have seen mine go back up bit it's pretty rare. It will usually just hang for a while.

But it does seem a bit erratic at times - it might be showing 200km to go then within a few kilometres, it will drop to 100 without any appreciable difference in riding style. That said, I do like it and it seems pretty spot on when nearing empty.

·
Registered
2020 Tour Manual
114 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't go back up? I seem to think mine does. All the above symptoms have happened to me. Especially when it shows a huge range remaining and then BAM, not so many miles left.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure it doesn't go back up? I seem to think mine does. All the above symptoms have happened to me. Especially when it shows a huge range remaining and then BAM, not so many miles left.
I'd say no its not going up, I just don't see it running in the 70 , 60 or even 50 miles left, last couple tanks I've noticed 88 then drops right to 45 left and all the warnings.... If it had a float I'd say it was sticking ?
Thanks
Pbr

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,581 Posts
I have seen mine go back up bit it's pretty rare. It will usually just hang for a while.

But it does seem a bit erratic at times - it might be showing 200km to go then within a few kilometres, it will drop to 100 without any appreciable difference in riding style. That said, I do like it and it seems pretty spot on when nearing empty.
I only see it go back up after shutting down and restarting. Never seen it do that under-motion.

And that's OK with me - if it wants to hang at 100 miles left (or 37,000 km - I think that's the right conversion... 😁 ) well, as long as it starts to indicate mileage drop after that point is reached, I'm happy.

Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
22 Posts
I first noticed this on my 2018 DCT on a ride last fall. The low fuel warning light came on and, as usual, the distance to empty gauge showed that I had about 60 km until I was out of fuel; the distance to empty number continued to drop slowly as expected. I looked at the gauge and it showed 48 km to go, when the next time I looked it had dropped to 12 km to empty. That was a bit of surprise. I found the nearest gas station and filled the tank, but since that time I am more cautious in my trust in the fuel to empty gauge.

I am assuming it is a sensor issue. I didn't take it to the dealer right away because I wanted to see if it was a one-time occurrence or it would happen again.

Since that first time I have noticed that the distance to empty gauge will occasionally hang for a bit, then drop to where I expect it to be. I don't want to be without the bike during summer, but perhaps I should visit a dealer and have it investigated under warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ve had an opposite issue. I probably overfill my tank. I want the most miles. Sometimes I ride tank to tank. Most of the time the range shows 220-240+ miles after fill up. About a month ago it only showed 175 mile range. That happened a couple of times. The bike sat for a week and when I filled up it was back to normal. Go figure.

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
If I drive more easily than I had been, the range reading will recalculate to reflect range given recent demands. And, the opposite seems to hald true too; go from tootling about to get'n spirited with it and the range will take a dive to be consistent with the more recent demand.

prs

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
Due to this thread as a reminder, I observed this status last evening when I noted the low fuel warning begining to flash with 50 miles on the range reading. I noticed two significant factors that can give "adjusted" range reports from the system; as above stated riding more spirited or easing-up AND gradient of the bike. Going down significant grades yeilds lower predictions and going up grade yields longer range predictions -- I suppose that is due to how the fuel gague floats respond.

prs

Reactions: 48DodgeExpress

·
Premium Member
19,632 Posts
Here is how I do it. Fill the tank up. Ride until about 1/8 is left & refill.

I get in the 40-42 mpg range. You guys getting 50 must be riding downhill :)

Reactions: Pigeon Roost
1 - 20 of 23 Posts