GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 06 parked in a smaller garage(18 by 20) after a ride I am noticing a gasoline smell for sometime. Not a raw gas smell but more like a big block carburator heat soak smell. 17k miles with no engine problems. I'm thinking that most EFI motors do not have the fumes we had in older times.:confused:

BTW, Arizona is the cure for winter weather blues. 1800 miles ridden so far. Whoa... 78 yesterday. Not a cloud.:yes1:

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Of course you do have to be alert to possible fuel line or coupling leaks; so inspect under the seat and tank access cover. The most likely offender is the charcoal cannister located above the oil filter and which has an intake tube open to the outside air close to the bottom of the front end of the block. That intake tube can also allow odors to flow out to the atmosphere when teh bike is hot. Once flooded, it takes a good bit of riding to purge all of the odor from the cannister. Avoid over filling the fuel tank, especially so is you are not going to ride very far after filling. Under typicaly conditions, the odors/vapors are drawn into the PAIR system and then purged into the engine's intake to be burned-off, but that happens only at certain vacuum condions and if you really flood the cannister the PAIR system doe not quickly purge it.

prs

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Yeah; I baking a cake this morning and used the smoke alam as my timer.....:eek:4:

prs

·
Registered
317 Posts
Of course you do have to be alert to possible fuel line or coupling leaks; so inspect under the seat and tank access cover. The most likely offender is the charcoal cannister located above the oil filter and which has an intake tube open to the outside air close to the bottom of the front end of the block. That intake tube can also allow odors to flow out to the atmosphere when teh bike is hot. Once flooded, it takes a good bit of riding to purge all of the odor from the cannister. Avoid over filling the fuel tank, especially so is you are not going to ride very far after filling. Under typicaly conditions, the odors/vapors are drawn into the PAIR system and then purged into the engine's intake to be burned-off, but that happens only at certain vacuum condions and if you really flood the cannister the PAIR system doe not quickly purge it.

prs
Long time has passed since your post. This is my case. I overfilled the tank then I smelled gas for second day
Thank you if you're still around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts