GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bow:
I just picked up my 2012 wing. I have been riding HD Roadglides for the past eleven years and was immediately impressed with the difference in ride and handling.

Oh yea, my question: I'm so used to pouring high octane fuel into the V-Twin that I find it hard to believe that these bikes aren't hungry for a higer octane than the 86 that the manual recommends.

Does anybody run high(er) octane, or is the 86 octane fuel going to get it done?
Thanks.
bbc

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
just regular gas

Just use regular gas. The Wing is a low compression, liquid cooled beast that runs just fine on the regular fuel per the owners manual. Running the higher octane fuel just puts a strain on your wallet.

There's other threads regarding this, the general consensus from a whole lot of others is no problems noted with the regular fuel.

Go forth, save your money by buying the regular grade gas so you'll have more money to buy more gas that you will be using putting the mileage on your wing.

And welcome to the world of the wing!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put the least expensive 86 octane (Arco, Safeway, 7-11, Costco) that I can find in my 2010 and it works just fine. I've never had a problem.

Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
:bow:
I just picked up my 2012 wing. I have been riding HD Roadglides for the past eleven years and was immediately impressed with the difference in ride and handling.

Oh yea, my question: I'm so used to pouring high octane fuel into the V-Twin that I find it hard to believe that these bikes aren't hungry for a higer octane than the 86 that the manual recommends.

Does anybody run high(er) octane, or is the 86 octane fuel going to get it done?
Thanks.
bbc
I run Non ethonal rather it be premium or 89 octane. Not going to support the rippoff ethonal industry.

Tim

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I tend to use the "mid" grade gas since I notice a little knocking when I get a bit "heavy handed" on the throttle using 87 stuff. :cool: I wish I could find pure gas without the ethanol, that would be nice.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome to our forum bbcwing. Just run regular.That's what the wing is suppose to use and save your money for farkles and riding. Enjoy your new wing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
We don't have anything lower than 87 here, so that is what I have used for the past 9 years on my 02. I did have a pinging problem for short time that forced me to use 93 octane, but a little bit of Techron fixed that problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I tend to use the "mid" grade gas since I notice a little knocking when I get a bit "heavy handed" on the throttle using 87 stuff. :cool: I wish I could find pure gas without the ethanol, that would be nice.
I find that hard to believe that you hear a little knock when you use reg 87. I've used them all and I think that is just your brain at work.:wrong:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I feed the Wing the cheapest crap I can find, and she doesn't complain. If she ever does, she will get the next to the cheapest crap I can find. The Harley guys I ride with are usually surprised about that!

The V-Rod, however, has only been fed premium (93 octane) from Red/White/Blue or Green/Yellow stations, since new. That is a strict diet as it has a performance chip in it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I tend to use the "mid" grade gas since I notice a little knocking when I get a bit "heavy handed" on the throttle using 87 stuff.
I need to start doing that as I'm having the same issue.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
If you run hi-test, it will do two things for you:

1. Needlessly drain your wallet, to the benefit of big oil.

2. Actually produce MORE carbon build-up in the combustion chambers over time, and make the GL1800 run WORSE.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
BBC, you realize what higher octane means? Resistance to detonation. It's not gas with more energy, power, zing, etc... It's not better quality gas...

The wing is designed for 86 or better... using higher has no advantage.

My CBR1000RR uses 91 or better... it has a higher compression ratio. Use 87 in it, and the gas would self ignite before the compression cycle finished.... "knock" as they say....

Cycles and cars and boats etc that have high compression engines require the higher octane, and that's how they get more energy out of the gas... higher compression, not the higher octane. Higher compression, however, means a stronger, more expensive engine block. Your GW is not one of them. (fella's, correct me if I'm wrong...)

If your HD only required 86 or better, and you've used premium gas in it, you've been wasting your money... a lot of people use premium gas in their vehicles, will claim they "run better"... but, I doubt they really do... they certainly aren't going to run worse....

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
You are already supporting it if you are paying taxes, it's not a self-supporting industry, Obamaism.:wrong:
Wrong. That was Bush that pushed for and signed the energy bill that created the ethanol subsidies. This was such highly publicized news back in 2005 that it is something everyone should not forget. It was hotly criticized in nearly every science magazine out there. Unfortunately we have short memories. But of course the Obama bashers don't care what's true. They just blame him for everything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8870039/ns/politics/t/bush-signs-billion-energy-bill-law/

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Cycles and cars and boats etc that have high compression engines require the higher octane, and that's how they get more energy out of the gas... higher compression, not the higher octane. Higher compression, however, means a stronger, more expensive engine block. Your GW is not one of them. (fella's, correct me if I'm wrong...)
You post was mostly right Doc, except for this last paragraph. It isn't any more expensive to build a higher compression engine. It is just a design decision. Mfr's can easily make any engine higher compression. Just changing the shape of the piston face will do it. Owners can raise compression by milling the head or decking the block. Sometimes it is done because the engine is simply too low on power and need all the help they can get, like the Harleys, and sometimes it is done on performance cars to get the highest possible HP out of the engine for marketing purposes or customer demand on that type of vehicle. It is actually cheap horsepower for the designer. The only reason for designing a lower compression engine is to lower the fuel octane requirements. (That was not a Harley bash. It's a fact.)

It all depends on the target market for that vehicle. Personally, I won't buy a normally aspirated car that requires premium fuel. I think it is a design copout. MFR's who make their name with smaller engines like Honda are notorious for this with their higher horsepower engine. The BMW K1600LT requires premium fuel. It was done for no other reason than horsepower bragging rights. I'll stick with my 300HP Mustang and 117 HP Goldwing that run on regular 87 octane

Years ago, back when EPA regs were first starting to get strict and carbs were still being used, engines went down as low as 8.0-8.5 in order to run on regular fuel. 10.0 was difficult to achieve on pump gas. Today, we have a fuel injected GL1800 running on regular at 9.8:1, with some engines running over 12:1 on premium, simply because of today's engine management systems. The ability to go back to high compression engines is one of the big reasons today's cars are so much higher in HP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts