GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As kind of a follow-on to the post about the flip-front helmets, I was wondering how many of you full-face helmet wearers change out your face shield to a tinted or "mirrored" type of shield for riding?

I used to try and wear sunglasses under my full-face, but it was really uncomfortable. I tried a number of kinds of sunglasses both cheap and expensive, but could never find one that worked. I finally got a silvered shield and now ride in comfort, but have to stop and change when out after dark, which can be a pain in the kiester. :x

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I change mine regularly. I wear a Shoei RF800 changing face shields takes just a couple of min. Shubreth helmet has a flip down sun shade like the fighter pilots use, but they are a little pricey. When buying a helmet be sure to check about what it takes to remove the face shield.Some of them are a real pain.The mirrored shields are a little cooler than the tinted ones, because the reflect some of the heat away, and they look cooler
**** 8)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
CouchRocketDave, Tinted shields are the first thing we bought after getting full face helmets. I like a lite tint and my wife likes the darkest available. I always carry the clear for night riding. Easy to change on Shoei and Arai helmets! We have over 120,000 miles in the last 6 years using FF helmets and the shields.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nolan 100E

I too use a tinted shield on my Nolan 100E “flip-front” helmet. It only takes a minute to switch from the clear to the tinted shield. I use the dark smoke shield- wish they made one mirrored or darker.

What I have works well unless you are riding for hours right into the setting sun. I could never get comfortable with sunglasses and the full-face helmet.

P.S. – My wife and I have both really enjoyed the Nolan 100E’s – comfortable, good looking and have plenty of room for the headset installation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Face shields

If I have one complaint about my HJC full face helmet, it is the difficulty I have changing the shield. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it just seems to be a pain. I wear sunglasses under a clear shield.
Anyone else have the same problem? I would love to know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks,

:yw1:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Full face helmets - Face shields (HJC)

O-Town-Tom - I suspect the HJC full face helmet is the same or similar to the HJC Flip Helmet's face shield to remove and install. When the face shield is open, if you look at the sides where the shield attaches to the helmet there is a plastic 1 inch arm that needs to be pushed forward to remove the shield and pushed back to keep the shield attached on each side. It just maintains or removes the pressure to hold each side of the shield in place.

HTH,

DaleC

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been using a tinted shield on my HJC for some time now. I find that the dark tint really cuts down on the heat inside the helmet - something sunglasses can't do. I carry whichever shield I'm not wearing in an old sock in the trunk. Change outs are quick and easy.

O-Town, in addition to the above, just make sure the visor is fully up. Then once the levers are pushed forward, the shield slides out at at a slight upward angle. They go back at the same angle and it helps to push against the helmet while sliding the visor in (it has a tendancy to spring out and not engage fully). I think the HJC system is much easier than my buddy's Arai.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don't need to change shields to get the same results. My husband wanted the same versatility with his Nolan that I have with my Schuberth. I took a tinted Nolan shield, cut off the sides where you mount it and added velcro strips down either side of the clear shield and the inside of the tinted shield. He sticks the tinted piece in his jacket when we leave early in the morning and just pulls it out to attach it when the sun comes up. Much faster and easier than trying to change shields on the side of the road.

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
another option that I have experimented with is go to the automotive section at walmart and for $3 you can buy Insta-Cling windshield tint strip 5"x78". Cut it to the size and shape wanted, wet the strip, apply to the outside of the shield and press out the water bubbles. The strip can be applied or removed repeatedly without dammage to the shield or strip. :yw1:

·
Registered
81 Posts
tinted shields

I use tinted shields on my Arai Signet. I like that Arai makes both a light tint (about as dark as Shoei's tint) but Arai goes darker and makes a really dark shield. Its the shield I wear most often. I also had some cloth sleeves made of soft cotton to store the spare shields in. Then they do not scratch in my trunk (expensive). Just used the plastic sleeves they come in as a template. I also use a Sunblocker (small dark strip of film that you apply to the top of your shield). Keeps the sun out of your eyes when you are riding into direct sun(great even with the darkest shields). Their web address is http://www.helmetsunblocker.com/

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
While I always wear a full face (HJC AC-10), I hate the shield. I do like the wind in my face. 99% of the time I ride with the shield up... but my problem is the ratchet tabs wear down too quickly, and eventually the shield won't stay up when faced with a little bit of wind.

I have considered taking the shield off all together, just installing it when the weather dictates. I have a tinted shield on most of the time, and carry a clear shield in a shield pouch in the trunk. But I always forget to change it out before it gets dark... lol

Being a safety nut, I'll stick with the full face. I also have a Nolan N-100, and when I used to wear that one I always rode with the face flipped up anyway...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
For a visor I just put a couple of strips of elecrtical tape across the inside top of my visors. Keeps the sun out when you are riding into it. And it's cheap!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Shield

I use a clear shield but have put a stick on visor on the flip, then wear sunglassesor the yellow tint glass depending on the need. The visor really helps against the sun

G

·
Both my wife and I wear full face helmets - a lesson learned a few years back when a truck pulled out in front of us. She landed on her chin and me on my forehead. I got a gash and she got a large rug burn on the chin.
Everything healed up OK though. :biker:

I like the shield for rain but otherwise I remove it as it makes lots of noise flipped up.

We both have Gmax helmets and they are great. Also they match so we are color coordinated and fashion sweet :oops:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Open Full Face helmets

I too ride 90% of the time with my FF Arai Signet or Schuberth Concept face shield open and also have a 3/4 Arai Classic/e that I like to wear for the comfort and breeze but am constantly paranoid while wearing it.

I wear prescription glasses (both clear and sun) so I have pretty good eye protection - put the shield down in the rain and if I run through an area where there is alot of particulates, like following some dumbass in an uncovered dump truck f'rinstance. Has anyone ridden with a Off-Road style helmet on their goldwing?

http://www.araiamericas.com/product/vx_main.html#

Courtney in Seattle

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all. There is a product called SunDowner that is made in Illinois by Heavin & Assoc. (that's not a misspelling) that is a great way to go. Placed along the bottom edge of your face shield it allows you to place it in a direct line between your eyes and the sun. All you have to do is raise or lower the visor to get it in the right place. Sundowner's phone number is 765-529-2484 fax 765-529-5339. I'm not an employee or getting anything for saying this. I found them at Americade a few years ago and have used them ever since. Works really great. You do need to be a little careful when applying cause if you don't do it right they blow off in the wind. (I have fixed that by applying to the inside of my shield.) These work better than the car type of tint cause they're thicker and darker. Good luck. Lennnie in Michigan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.