GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a good way to be able to drink some water while riding with a full face helmet on? Anybody found a real long felxible straw that works or some other way?

Rich

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I use a camelback in hot weather, I slip the tube up under the chin bar. In mild weather I just carry water bottles in the trunk and a piece of clear tubing as a straw if I don't want to take my helmet off while stopped.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Maybe a straw?
Anyway I've been thinking about a full face helmet, do they make you feel closed in?

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Maybe a straw?
Anyway I've been thinking about a full face helmet, do they make you feel closed in?
I got my first full face helmet way back in 1968 when the Bell Star was the only full face made. I have worn full face ever since. I have done two face plants (while acting the fool) over the years and sure was glad that I had one on!

But no, they do not make me feel closed in at all. I will admit that a run down to the auto parts or grocery store will usually find me not wearing a helmet of any kind, but when I go for any kind of ride more than 2-3 miles I will have on a full face. I guess that I appreciate the extra protection that it gives me, and I think that other people on the road appreciate me covering up my ugly mug! :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I saw a slick set up the other day. This guy had a butler mug and added a length of food grade tubing to the straw with a bite valve. never had to lift the mug. Perfect for a full face helmet

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
I always wear a full face helmet and use the BUTLER CUP. With the supplied straw you do have to really shove it in there and tilt your head back a inch or two. I live with this inconvience. A longer straw or added flexible tube might help

·
Registered
463 Posts
I saw a slick set up the other day. This guy had a butler mug and added a length of food grade tubing to the straw with a bite valve. never had to lift the mug. Perfect for a full face helmet
This is what I use. Just to go to any sporting goods store that sells Hydration packs and parts. Buy a replacement tube and bite valve and insert the tube in the Butler cup in place of the straw that comes with it. Of course you have to choose one that fits tightly in the cup top, but many seem to fit OK. You also need to choose a bite valve that that's not too long. I used a tube and valve from a Hydration pack I bought at Costco.

Larry

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Modular??

This is just an example of one, but this will solve all your "drinking" problems. :)

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I added an length of tubing on the Butler straw. A bit of a pain, but well worth it.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Camelback here too.
:agree:

In hot weather I fill the Camelback with ice, top it off with water, and wear it under my jacket.

For longer rides (like the Iron Butt SS1000 in a couple days), I use this setup which uses a longer tube and the bite valve from my Camelback:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Maybe a straw?
I still feel closed in when I'm stopped walking around. First time I tried one in a store, I really felt closed in. But once I'm underway, it feels perfectly natural. I had a face plant also, off road, and sure glad I was wearing a full face helmet.

·
Registered
674 Posts
back in the day, I was issued a "monkey 2" gas mask that had a drinking attachment that you could connect to your canteen, but you had to make the connection before entering a Chemical Biological Radiological (CBR) environment.

Maybe you can find one of these an modify your helmet.

On second thought you should not as it would compromise the integrity of a piece of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe a straw?

Just your face! :mrgreen:

Seriously. I have an HJC full face. The opening is so large that I forget it is a full face. I keep the shield up most of the time. (it can be put in any positon.) It's light and very airy. You have a great deal of peripheral vision. As good as an open face.

When it is up I really feel like it's an open face Helmet.

Boy is it nice when it's cold or raining. Just close the lid and your warm and dry! AND great for BUGS!! I ride with my shield up, but when we get into bugs down it comes all the way or 1/2 way if they arn't too bad. Works great. But it is up most of the time if it's warm. My HJC has plenty of vents to keep it cool if I have to ride with the lid down.

When I was racing (long, long ago) Simpson supplied my helmets. They had a 1&5/8th" eye opening at the eye that tapered to a 1&1/4" at the nose. and you didn't have any vision other than staight ahead. But that is the only place you were looking. It was made just for racing. With a fire sock over your head with only eye holes you couldn't see much left or right anyway. They were form fitted and the only size was Very Tight! Now that is closed in.

It sure give one a feeling of Security. (a false feeling of security):eek:4:
A good Full Face is the only way to go, IMHO. It will sure save your chin and face. :capwin:

Did I say warm and dry when it rains? And loves to kill bugs!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A little aside you might like to try or just smile at.

Some time ago, we will not say how long, my son was 18 and a real ladies man (he thought) he has a Honda 929 as did I. On several ocassions I would put on his leathers and full face helmet and take his bike down town. The girls would all yell, "hay Nate how about a ride?" I would load one up and give her a ride. A few times I even got offers before I got back to downtown and took the helmet off and they saw the WHITE HAIR. The girls would almost faint and my son would just roll on the ground laughing as he would always be where we stopped (by design). The girls got a kick out of it too when they found out I was Nats dad. Some were never the less very embarrassed for what they had said so close to my helmet. (did I say you can hear most of what your rider says at a stop light?) Great fun!!! (boy was I jealous of my son!) But I was there once!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts