GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the safety advantages of a full face helmet over an open face in the event of a crash but wondering what are the other advantages/disadvantages (i.e. wind noise, fogging, temperature, visability, comfort, etc.)? I've never owned a full face helmet and am currently in the market for buying a full or open face. Also brand. Looking at the Arai and Shoei RF1000.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had every style of helmet and like each one for different reasons. Full face are nice for noise reduction, wind block and safety but I find that my perifferal (sp) vision is hindered greatly. They are nice to have for the colder days. Also with the full face I need to turn the radio up in order to hear the music since I don't have a headset.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
From your board name, I might assume you used to ride a VTX (I did before moving to the Wing about two 1/2 mos. ago).

I have the Shoei RF-1000 (FF) and really like it. The helmet is very comfortable. When I rode the X with the Vance and Hine Big Shots pipes, the sound seemed to collect in the helmet. Therefore I used earplugs all the time.

Since changing to the Wing I do not notice either the wind or engine or exhaust being significant so that I need ear plugs. Am going to try them again to determine if I should be using the plugs.

I bought a 3/4 face Shoei RJ Air helmet and really like the openness. However, it does not fit as comfortably as the RF-1000 and causes a sore spot on the right side of my head after riding for an hour or two. While I prefer the openness of the 3/4, I just am not as comfortable w/o the chin protection of the FF model.

Following are a couple of websites you might want to review before deciding. I highly recommend that you try the helmets on and walk around in the store for 20 -30 minutes with them on before you decide. Best wishes for finding what you want.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/street ... met_guide/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... et-faq.htm

Todd

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
We have the older Nolan flip front helmets and really enjoy them. Nearly the same protection as a full face helmet but with the ability to pop open the front to eat/drink/talk to a friend. I cannot see the edges of the eye opening so I don't believe it infringes on my porifial vision at all. I cannot see down much though ... not much below the speedometer without tilting my head down. I also wear a full face helmet for commuting on my other bike, but have to remove it more often for talking, eating, filling gas, etc.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
XVTX said:
...wondering what are the other advantages/disadvantages (i.e. wind noise, fogging, temperature, visability, comfort, etc.)?
I did try on several styles and found a full face that actually fits and I can wear for hours at a time.

Ventilation and fogging are the only real issues that affect my use.

While I do use a mic for communications, the placement can pose a minor problem as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I ride with a FF helmet exclusively. In addition to the superior protection for your face and chin (inarguable), the FF provides superior wind/bug/debris protection. I also like the fact that the sun and elements aren't trashing my face 8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wear a flip-face so I can get (some) of the advantages of both.

I used to ride with a 3/4 and no windshield. I loved that rush of fresh air in my face. Hated the bugs in my teeth and the occasional flies that would fly themselves right into the back of my throat. Vertical visibility is much better with a 3/4 helmet. With one I could see everything on my bike without having to move the head up-down (e.g. map on the tank).

With the full face (i.e. the flip face with the chinguard down) my vertical viewing angle is much reduced. It doesn't bother me that much though. One thing I noticed though, it's that I feel much more comfortable when it's in full face mode. I really can't explain why - I think it's part mental comfort and part reat physical comfort.
On the face shield - I found myself riding with it up most of the time. Being in Houston, I just don't get enough ventilation with it closed. Even when I close it down, I don't do it all the way - leave about a half inch open. I haven't been in a fogging condition yet, but keeping the face shield open just a fraction would prevent that.

One more thing though. My eyes are really sensitive to light so I ride with sunglasses all the time. If I close the face shield, there's 3 layers of plastic obscuring between my eyes and the road: sunglasses, face shield, windscreen. That's a bit too much at times.

Overall I like it much better with a full face. I also like the convenience of the flip face at gas stops or when trying to drink some water while riding...

In short, to address some of your points:
1. wind noise - full face is a lot more quiet. even with the face shield open I found it still more quiet...
2. fogging - yes, but keeping the face shield just a tiny bit open takes care of that
3. temperature - full faces are much hotter that open face. Opening the face shield all the way make it much better.
4. visibility - horizontal - the same, vertical - reduced
5. comfort - head comfort is about the same (roughly the same padding area), but I feel more comfortable when I have the chin bar down (i.e. in full-face mode). Check out the Motorcycle Helmet Weights page on webbikeworld.com.

HTH.[/url]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Like most of the guys here, I like to keep both full-face and open-face on hand. I use the full-face a lot during the winter. Anyway, I have been pleased with HJC. I have the AC11. Light and comfortable. Im not totally sure but the AC11 might be discontinued, but HJC has similar styles. I believe HJC makes a very good helmet for the price.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
As you have noticed, the full face helmets are all quieter than the others. The flip-ups wind noise vary from brand to brand, but are all noisier than the full face. As for comfort, the 3/4 is good, but so are some of the flips. And after you are used to one, a full or flip that fits good is pretty comfortable.

Of the flips, I have used a Zeus (noisy), a Vega (nice feel, quieter, good value), and Nolan 100E (good fit, fair ventilation, not too loud, comfortable, lousy latches, best chinstrap, best aerodynamics while riding with chin bar open), and now a Sy-Max (best for lack of vision interference, quietest of the flips, great latch, poor aerodynamics while chin bar is up, best ventilation).

But for quiet, I have an old Shoei full face that beats em all. I was going to a Syncrotec for a flip, but chin bar would not clear my chin, let alone putting in a microphone. And I am thinking a Schuberth Concept may be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Shuberth makes a 3/4 helmet that has a chin bar to give you the protection of a FF and yet keeps the visibility of the 3/4 helmet. Alass it is only available in europe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Helmets

On my 'Wing I'll usually go with my Nolan N-41 (3/4 with movable clear shield). On my Blackbird, it's my Arai Quantum (FF). I initially had some fitment issues with the Arai (mislabled cheek pads) but that's been addressed.

My wife has a Scorpion EXO-700 (FF) that retails for under $200 - and has thoroughly impressed me. I would certainly consider one were I in the market right now... :wink:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Whatever you get, make darn sure that it fits properly and that you can wear it all day in comfort if you want to.

I have had an HJC open face, Shoei RJ Air open face and an older Shoei 200 series full face. All of these helmets gave me a sore spot in the middle of my forehead and took away from my riding enjoyment.

Today I got my Arai Vector in the mail (after trying it on at a retailer, hehe, but I saved $20 + $28.50 tax). The Vector is a little more oval shaped and doesn't give me that sore spot. Feels like I can wear it all day (and I'm going to soon test that statement). And when I get my wing I'll be able to take it down to J & M for the electronics install.

I prefer the fullface primarily for the safety factor and because it keeps me cooler in the AZ summer and warmer in the winter. The open face in the summer feels like a blast furnace. Plus the full face helps protect against bugs that get around my windshield.

Maybe get one of each for when the mood strikes you for a switch.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I use nothing but full face now. I wear HJC because they fit me very well, have nice features and are reasonably priced. As you mention, you need to go with a brand that fits your head shape and each one seems to have their niche. I don't find ANY of the peripheral vision reduction that others have mentioned, especially now that many of the newer helmets have larger eye ports. You certainly are blocked from looking straight down due to the chin bar but I've never found that to be an issue. Every full face I've owned, regardless of the sophistication of the ventilation system, is hotter than an open face. The benefits, however, far out weigh that one negative. You can't argue the difference in safety and for me, they greatly reduce fatigue on a long trip as they are quieter and virtually eliminate sun burn (I wear a dark smoke shield during the day), wind burn and the associated eye strain.
I really can't imagine going back to an open face helmet.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have maybe 10 or so helmets. I don't know what to do with those that are replaced by lids that I like better.

I have the Nolan 1002 flip and the Symax flip. I also have a couple FF helmets, too. I like the flip ups the best. Much more practical for me at gas pumps, communication, on and off.

But, flip ups are more noisy unless one has the windscreen up high to force the wind stream over the top of the lid. Some have breath guards that work to 'defog' the visor, but cracking the visor also works .... as does a defogging cloth from a ski shop.

I find that FF helmets a bit of a pain when trying to look behind me while changing lanes on the Super Slab. My 3/4 and 1/2 helmets are much EZr to see from. FF lids are safest, followed by fips and 3/4rs ... 1/2 helmets are least safe, but more comfy of them all. Everything has trade offs.

FF helmets are much warmer in the cold. I use them all winter with a neck gaiter. But, in summer and weather that is not as cool, I use my HJC CL2 or my new fav, the Nolan N42.

The Nolan N42 is a 3/4 helmet with a full face visor, but no chin guard. The visor can be moved up and down ... detents allow for partial opening to let in cool air, and it flips all the way up for EZ on/off. Also, it has a 2-3 inch dark 'over visor' that can be moved into position when the sun is in your face. I like it. Again, it is noisier than a FF, but with windscreen up it's pretty quiet.

I find that ALL FF and 3/4 lids need some adjustment to be comfortable for me. They are all pretty tight around my cheeks and chin ... and even other parts. I take a piece of 4x4 or 2x4 about 5-6" long and wrap it in a large towel. Simulating my head. Then cram it into the helmet and leave it there while I'm not riding. This deforms some of the padding enough to make the helmet comfy. Sorta "breaks it in". Also, some lids have hard, white, dense foam covered with soft fabric covered foam. This white dense foam can be deformed with your thumb or a spoon or other tool to remove "hot spots". I've done this with ALL my FFs and the results are great.

BTW, try Helmet Harbor ... http://helmetharbor.com/ .... they have nothing but helmets with reviews by riders and great prices. Excellent service, too. I've used them for many helmets with good luck. (no affiliation)

Cheers .....

BAGGER

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve had all three styles over the years and here’s what I’ve found:

Full Face are the safest but also the ones most likely to hinder the “open air” experience of riding. Since buying a Wing with all that Tupperware, I no longer use the full face to block the wind and road noise that made riding a pain.

¾ helmets just look too damn gay to wear these days. Nuff said- just my opinion. Don’t get mad.

Good DOT thick half helmet (cop style) offers a nice middle ground between the joy of riding with no helmet and the safety of wearing one. Note that I won’t wear one of those make believe paper thin half helmets. There’s NO impact resistance with those.

No helmet is best for fun, but super dumb!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Helmets

I use a Shoei Synchrotec Flip up and like it very much. The quality to me is worth the extra that you pay. I bought my girlfriend the new Nolan 102 flip up and the Shoei Syn. is much, much better quality and is quiter. I like the flip up because it comes in handy when it is hot and you stop at a red light and need to cool off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like my nolan 102 super easy to put headset in . I have not tried the anti-fog shield that came with it so don;t know if it works or not . The sun shield is great this time of year .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a really tough time finding a helmet to fit me correctly as I have a long (Alien type) head. This makes most helmets, when sitting correctly, lean back way too far putting psi on my forehead. In other words, the head ain't shaped normal enough to just go with any particular brand.

If you haven't thought of this concern, perhaps you should. Fitting a helmet correctly is much more individual than fitting shoes. I go into the helmet store and try on every single helmet in my size that I like the looks of, regardless of price. When and if I find one, I buy. It usually takes several shops before that happens.

BTW, fitting half helmets has been the easiest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts