GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the full monty installed as I type this, will give review in few days !:shock:;););):excited:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I know.....I know....;)

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I had mine done last Thursday and have about 750 miles on it so far. Riding home from Atlanta I had trouble seeing large advantages over a fresh Progressive upgrade, but now that I have ridden it more on rough home turf I can see that it is indeed superior. Steep mountain swithback type hair pins no longer pin the front suspension and under steer is far less. There is a stretch of rippled blacktop on a nearby highway that bounces everyone around (paving mistake) and this system really "smoothed that out". My old rear shock (OE) was allowing some pogo like flaw recently and it was really goood to get that eliminated. I hope you like yours!

prs

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roost glad you like yours, I have read all that I could on the subject, seems folks get some stong feelings, one way or the other, when spending that kinda coin on the suspension for a wing, and don't know if I will be any different, but I wanted the best I could get, as I plan on driving the bike for at least another hundred thousand miles, the good Lord willing and after reading all the debates I just went on blind faith, I do know that compared to other bikes in the past, that the wing for me really lack's in the suspension department, and hope this will be the cure, and heck I may still have to upgrade the seat, lol but so far the only things I have added on are a set of baker wings, and cheep-o gps and of course the traxxion upgrade, and from what I just heard, some new front brake pads, lol:coffee1::thumbup: its all good

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to have my 08 done next Wednesday at Motovation in Charlotte Hall,MD. I'm soo excited! :p

as far as the $$$....don't worry you can always earn more ;)

you can look at it this way, $2400 divided by so many years of enjoyment and performance/comfort is going to be worth it, for me anyway. I understand it's not for everyone considering the different riding styles of many people who own Goldwings

heck, I didn't think I'd be ready to buy one till I was much older:eek:4:

I'll report back when I put some miles on it :doorag:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Traxxion

Had mine done last Tuesday and they're Ain't nothing like it. Rides like a motorcycle is supposed to ride. The only problem is I know I'll be wearing out tires much faster.:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
RutRow :popcorn::beer3::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
$2400? What do you get for that money? I'm not too familiar with Traxxion and wonder how it compares to Progressives considering the price differ.
Progressive kits includes:

Front springs
Rear Shock + spring (or just the spring)

Traxxion "Full Monte" includes:

Front springs
Front cartridge inserts (shocks for lack of a better term)
Machining to left fork to accept cartridge
Fork Brace
Tapered steering bearings (All Balls)
Rear Penski shock with spring + SS preload hose (prevents bulging)
All labor to install all these parts.

If you just want their springs and rear shock the price is basically the same as progressive, you provide the labor.

Take the price for the Progressive parts + the fork brace + steering bearings then ask your local shop what the price would be to install all of these. I think you'll find you are only about $400 less than doing the complete Traxxion package during this sale (and it will not ride or handle as well IMHO).

(BTW, I don't have the Traxxion parts or any affiliation, just reiterating what I've learned here and other places)

V

·
0 Posts
TOMMY S,

I had mine done at Motovation last month. Dan provided excellent service. By the way it would be a GREAT time to do bar risers as well if you are considering it. I just installed the Kury's tonight but wish I would have just had it done since they remove the bars anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Take the price for the Progressive parts + the fork brace + steering bearings then ask your local shop what the price would be to install all of these. I think you'll find you are only about $400 less than doing the complete Traxxion package during this sale .
I don't think so. You can buy all the Progressive components, plus bearings and a fork brace for less than $720 when on sale. Are you telling me a shop is going to charge $1300 to do the install?

I'm not knocking Traxxion. But the cost is not nearly as close as you are claiming. I did my front and rear suspension for $500. I didn't need bearings or a brace.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Plus; just like Larry says about Progressive parts, you could buy Traxxion rear shock with heavy spring, linear heavy fork springs from Traxxion, and do what Larry did and get much of the benefit of the Monty.

Traxxion also includes new seals, slider bushings, fork oil and "O" rings, plus new fork caps with rebound and compression adjustments; but even when you condider that you will have to do that with (should do that - except for the new caps) with the other "kits", Traxxion full Monty is probably still higher of cost. To get A DYI set of springs and such to be comparable, you would need to also install the new RaceTech rebound + compression kit too.

Plus - plus; if one is pleased with the GL1800 as is, why bother with any of it? All that said, I am pleased with the Traxxion system.

prs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts