GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended mileage you need to have on your bike before using Full Synthetic Oil. I was told that you need to have at least 12K before using it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ditto, first oil change....

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
Thought someone posted the other day that some come with synthetic in it ( wasnt honda ) ??

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
There are many manufactures that have full Synthetic oil on brand new motors...years ago the word on the street was
to wait til a few thousand miles before switching...but not anymore...For me, unless it came from the factory with it in the crankcase...I would not use Synthetic Oil until at least 1000 miles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all who responded. I should be good I have 6500 on mines... Getting it ready for Daytona next weekend...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Design technology and metal process have advanced greatly in the past few years; most modern engines do not need extended break-ins that full-synthetic was "too slippery" to allow. You can change over to full-synth on the GL1800 engine at the first recommended oil-change interval.

The Triumph Speed Triple (for example) comes from the factory with full-synthetic in the crankcase, and the owners manual (at least used to) states that failure to use the specific recommended oil can

VOID THE WARRANTY!

:eek:4:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
It depends widely on who you ask, and there are lots of opinions that say wait, and lots that say it doesn't matter.

I can't say I know the definitive answer, but I do know what Honda reccomends to their dealerships. They (Honda) tell their all dealership service departments to wait until 8K miles before switching to synthetic oil when they service GoldWings, as well as other Honda bikes.

I've heard and seen evidence for both sides. You'll have to make up your own mind if you think it matters.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm sure there are advantages to using synthetic oil, having said that, I have never had a engine failure due to engine oil. I use the generic cheap as I can get Wal-Mart super tec oil. Never had a problem, cars, lawn mower, work truck all use the cheap stuff. Keep it changed, it all seems to me to work just fine. My Dad told me several years ago that he had read somewhere that the best oil at that time was sold by Sears, because what they sold was recycled oil. Oil doesn't wear out it just gets dirty and the additives burn out or are lost, so when you refine it a second time it actually gets better. Most oil you buy now has some recycled oil in it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I switch all my vehicles over to full synth after about 2K miles.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The stance that you should wait until xxxxx amount of miles before switching to synthetic is old school thinking. The Wing's first oil change is at 4000 miles, which is more than enough for anyone who is concerned about it.

Manufacturers were cautious with synthetic for many years, simply because they didn't have enough long term data to determine any lasting effects. But that has changed dramatically in the last decade. Nearly all mfr's fully endorse synthetic now. A large percentage of cars now come from the factory with synthetic, and that is what is recommended.

The days of break-in periods are a thing of the past. Manufacturers still recommend taking it easy with both rpm and speed for the first few hundred miles, but that is all.

Look at it this way. Honda and every other mfr is well aware of the popularity of synthetic oil, and they also know that the question posed here is a common one. If they wanted you to wait, the recommendation would be stated in your owner's manual.

Do what you feel most comfortable with, but it really is a non issue with today's engines.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
The stance that you should wait until xxxxx amount of miles before switching to synthetic is old school thinking. The Wing's first oil change is at 4000 miles, which is more than enough for anyone who is concerned about it.

Manufacturers were cautious with synthetic for many years, simply because they didn't have enough long term data to determine any lasting effects. But that has changed dramatically in the last decade. Nearly all mfr's fully endorse synthetic now. A large percentage of cars now come from the factory with synthetic, and that is what is recommended.

The days of break-in periods are a thing of the past. Manufacturers still recommend taking it easy with both rpm and speed for the first few hundred miles, but that is all.

Look at it this way. Honda and every other mfr is well aware of the popularity of synthetic oil, and they also know that the question posed here is a common one. If they wanted you to wait, the recommendation would be stated in your owner's manual.

Do what you feel most comfortable with, but it really is a non issue with today's engines.
Couldn't agree more. I have been doing that for many years. While one person is hardly a good statistical sample, I have ridden and drove hundreds of thousands of miles in/on vehicles that have been changed to synthetic at the first change. And... I change oil at 10,000 mile intervals also. No problems.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Engines that use syn from the factory were designed to use it. The tolerances and bearing materials used allow its use at inital startup. I am not saying that an engine needs to be designed to use syn, only that factories do not design an engine then decide at a later date what oil to use.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Engines that use syn from the factory were designed to use it. The tolerances and bearing materials used allow its use at inital startup. I am not saying that an engine needs to be designed to use syn, only that factories do not design an engine then decide at a later date what oil to use.
Engines are designed/built for a range of oil viscosity.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Engines are designed/built for a range of oil viscosity.
This is correct. Journal bearings are sized based on the oils viscosity. Whether that viscosity is achieved with a synthetic, synthetic blend, or conventional oil is not part of the design parameters.

If I had to guess the cars that come with a factory fill of synthetic have more to do with marketing than engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Full syn is oil, just oil. Nothing extra "slippery" in it at all. It does however resist brake down due to engine blow by, hydrocarbens get into the oil in this fashion and every engine has some level of blow by. Full syn doesnt go to heck due to this since it has a modified base. In the 70s. amsoil said 25,000 miles between changes.....

I ride the wing home, change oil and filter to full syn, ride it and forget it. These engines are broke in for the most part by the time you get it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I also changed to Full Synt in my new wing/trike on first oil change.
Also use Full Synt in my car and truck

·
Vendor
17,410 Posts
What is the recommended mileage you need to have on your bike before using Full Synthetic Oil. I was told that you need to have at least 12K before using it.
Why change to synthetic? Consider this, our transmission get clunky when the oil has about 6500 miles on it. It will not matter weather the oil is conventional of synthetic. Most owners change theirs either at the 4k or 5k mileage mark. When these Wings are maintained per the owners manual, they are already costly enough. It's far better to save that money on expensive oil and spend it on the other required maintenance items like air filter, clutch, and brake fluid changes every 12k. Also, the key to long motor wear is frequent oil changes not necessary a synthetic oil. Because of it, I use the cheapest conventional oil I trust .... Honda's GN4. Whatever oil you choose, make sure it is m/c specific with the requirement listed in the Owner's Manual and like the manual says, never, ever use an oil additive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts