GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Well, one thing we all can agree on is: (were all just as confused about this subject) as we were before the question was asked...LOL
With all the YES & NO answers we have received here.....
So my answer is, if your bike's engine has not blown up yet, then I suggest doing the same way again, as you always have...... either start up your engine w/o pre circulating the oil OR use WOT method before hand.............I believe BOTH methods must work................

Love yea all!!

Ronnie
O' by the way, what brand oil do you all use?? [O' no I'm going to be shut off using this board, asking this question....LOL

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
I wonder if people follow these rituals just because they are bored with the humdrum repetition of just starting the bike and going. Do older folks find something missing in their lives now that they no longer have to do tuneups to their cars and bikes on a regular basis? I remember back in the 70s when we were working on our cars and bikes nearly every weekend. Cleaning and adjusting or replacing points and adjusting ignition timing. Oh boy! Changing oil ever 3000? Awesome! 8000 miles? No way! You would suffer an aneurism waiting that long.

I did suffer from a similar withdrawal when CDs came out. I had been an avid audiophile, religiously cleaning and balancing my record player, cleaning the heads, capstan, and pinch rollers on my cassette decks, and demagnetizing the heads. Once that went away, it became boring and I drifted away from it. In fact, this WOT thing kind of reminds me of the obsessions in audio. There was a company that marketed a green magic marker that you were supposed to use on the edges of CDs. It supposedly made the CD track better and made the music sound better, which was hogwash of course. But people bought it. Then there was the equally ridiculous Monster Cable, with its 300 some odd strand oxygen free speaker cable that supposedly reduced skin effect and cured all sorts of ills with your audio system. Same thing. Once the routine maintenance went away, all sorts of crazy ideas popped up to feed the obsession and keep the interest alive.

Maybe what you guys really need is an old 60s Triumph or BSA. That should keep you busy.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I wonder if people follow these rituals just because they are bored with the humdrum repetition of just starting the bike and going. Do older folks find something missing in their lives now that they no longer have to do tuneups to their cars and bikes on a regular basis? I remember back in the 70s when we were working on our cars and bikes nearly every weekend. Cleaning and adjusting or replacing points and adjusting ignition timing. Oh boy! Changing oil ever 3000? Awesome! 8000 miles? No way! You would suffer an aneurism waiting that long.

I did suffer from a similar withdrawal when CDs came out. I had been an avid audiophile, religiously cleaning and balancing my record player, cleaning the heads, capstan, and pinch rollers on my cassette decks, and demagnetizing the heads. Once that went away, it became boring and I drifted away from it. In fact, this WOT thing kind of reminds me of the obsessions in audio. There was a company that marketed a green magic marker that you were supposed to use on the edges of CDs. It supposedly made the CD track better and made the music sound better, which was hogwash of course. But people bought it. Then there was the equally ridiculous Monster Cable, with its 300 some odd strand oxygen free speaker cable that supposedly reduced skin effect and cured all sorts of ills with your audio system. Same thing. Once the routine maintenance went away, all sorts of crazy ideas popped up to feed the obsession and keep the interest alive.

Maybe what you guys really need is an old 60s Triumph or BSA. That should keep you busy.
Excellent "come-back"..wow I just had a flashback, when I was 19 years old and went to the WOODSTOCK festival in Bethel New York ......(I had hair down the back of my shoulders then /NOW I"M almost bald)............Aaaaaaa life is good!

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
This whole thread is a cluster. Somehow cranking an engine for a several seconds without starting engine which means provides very minimal oil pressure is somehow better than cranking an engine for a couple seconds and it firing providing full pressure is better ? I've got a 465hp Vette that sits all winter and even it don't need that done as compared to this little throw away engines. :D

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
OK yesterday I replaced all six spark plugs, before starting. The oiI/filter was replaced earlier as I was preparing it for her nap (she's been in hibernation in my garage since October) I did try this PRE-starting procedure method for the first time........I honestly believe that it does indeed work because I didn't hear any strange noises, cause of no oil being where it's supposed to be at... She started immediately, w/o a second hesitation, nice and quiet Aaaaaaaaaa! I also started her up w/o touching the throttle, and let it idle until the fans came on..(something about the ECM being
re-adjusted ???) I read about that here , I have no idea what that does BUT I went for a nice 35(ish) mile ride on the highway and home again, yep! She's ready for some nice warm weather rides...

Ronnie

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Ronnie. Did you, after the fans came on, shut it down and THEN go for the ride or just go riding ? I think you're suppose to shut it down first to reset the ECM, I think..

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Ronnie. Did you, after the fans came on, shut it down and THEN go for the ride or just go riding ? I think you're suppose to shut it down first to reset the ECM, I think..
Aaaaaaaaaaaa Bob, I believe I just took it for that short ride w/o shutting it off.... I will try it again, this afternoon, your way!!!! THANK YOU for coming back with the correct info... (y) I'm not really sure what exactly this ECM does OR not does... BUT after reading it here on this board, folks claim that it helps.....WHAT DOES THIS ECM "thingy" do for our bikes engine anyways?? BUT at least I can say that the bike did indeed run very smooth, which make me a happy man.....Thank you Bob for your come-back help!

Ronnie

41 - 48 of 48 Posts