GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread summarizes the new developments with regard to being able to use your GW's CB in the normal manner when using a wireless BT headset. The old thread "Transmit on CB using Sena Wireless Headset" was getting too long to make sense to new readers, plus the harnesses evolved beyond the thread's title which then became misleading.

A harness has been created that wires a BT transceiver to your GW, thus allowing a wireless connection between your bike and your BT headset. The transceiver can be a Sena SMH10 or a SR10. I don't know which is best for you because I am not very familiar with the SR10's capabilities. The GW's transceiver lives in the left pocket box and is wired underneath to the GW's connector to the cabled headset port. It's an elegant solution because no one can tell that your bike supports wireless headsets. Transmitting on the CB is entirely normal with no delay or latency. The system's only compromise is that the wireless connection will not support stereo; so, FM and CD music is mono. Not a problem if you pair your BT headset to a phone that has music capability. Attached are photos of each harness and circuit diagrams for those who have the tools and skills to build their own. A patent was applied for on 12/27/2013, reserving the right to build these harnesses for sale on the retail market. No problem building one for your own personal use. A certain company is engaged in producing the harnesses and I will reveal its name when it has product in stock, ready for sale. 10 GW riders already have the SMH10 version, 2 have installed it and like it, the other 8 are waiting for warmer weather. These 10 riders are being used to proof the concept and pursuade any skeptics; so, stay tuned for their reports on this Forum when they start to use their harness.

These harnesses are not necessary if your GW does not have a CB, or it has one but you don't care to transmit on it. In either of these 2 cases, your best solution is a Sena SM10 with a GW-specific dongle.

For those of you with GWs that have a CB, there is no longer any reason to hold you back from going wireless.

I hope the GW community finds these harnesses useful.

Steve Schmidt (fox2kill) GW-SR10 Harness.jpg IMG_0708.jpg Slide1.jpg GW-9.jpg GW-8.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Status Report

Drove around all day with the GW-SR10 harness and discovered an interesting feature.

First the Harness itself worked perfectly. Was able to hear all sounds a GW audio system can produce. Was able to transmit on the CB loud and clear.

Had the wife onboard and we have SMH10 headsets. Whenever I established an intercom session with her, the link to the GW's SR10 was terminated, and so too all the GW audio and CB capability. When I terminated the intercom session with the wife, the SR10 link would come back automatically, and so too all the GW audio and CB capability. So, I could have an intercom session with the passenger or link up with the GW, but I could not do both at the same time. I suppose that makes perfect sense to you GW riders with lots of time on a SR10.

In comparison, an advantage of the GW-SMH10 Harness is that the link to the GW audio system is an intercom session, which means you can setup a 3-way so your passenger is part of the conversation and can hear all the GW audio, including the CB chatter.

Please note this important difference before you commit to one harness or the other.

Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Steve,

Sena is introducing a new SM20. Appears that the new BT4.0 technology allows the system to act as "two bluetooth sets" in one device.
There is no instruction book on the unit yet on the Sena site.
From what you know and can read on the Sena site, would you think this would allow better, almost GW corded functionality?
By that I mean, no wait between different devices and the ability to have the SM10 and SR10 work together.

If this post should be in one of your other posts, let me know and I'll move.

Don

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm very mechanical but with electronics, not so much (or at all). I have Cardo Systems Scala Q1 teamset bluetooth headsets. Would any of this work for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

Sena is introducing a new SM20. Appears that the new BT4.0 technology allows the system to act as "two bluetooth sets" in one device.
There is no instruction book on the unit yet on the Sena site.
From what you know and can read on the Sena site, would you think this would allow better, almost GW corded functionality?
By that I mean, no wait between different devices and the ability to have the SM10 and SR10 work together.

If this post should be in one of your other posts, let me know and I'll move.

Don
Don;

Great question. Too early for me to tell what BT 4.0 and dual modules could do to provide a link between your wireless headset and the GW's audio system. You could be right; it might be a better adapter than the SMH10.

I studied everything available on the Web about BT 4.0, but found no clues on what it means when applied to intercom communications.

I think the S20's dual modules will let you have an intercom session and a phone conversation at the same time. And I think it will support intercom with much better audio quality. I may have to buy a couple in the near future to see if it can be made into a suitable GW adapter. However, I'd be surprised if it makes an SR10 and SM10 play together better.

Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very mechanical but with electronics, not so much (or at all). I have Cardo Systems Scala Q1 teamset bluetooth headsets. Would any of this work for me?
Thanks
HR;

I couldn't find any info on the Web about a Cardo Scala Q1 pairing to a Sena SMH10 v4.3. However, I know that a SMH10 with v5.0 has a "Universal Pairing" feature, which sounds like that's your answer. But, v5.0 also has a new feature that cannot be disabled called Advanced Noise Control that severely impairs the SMH10's utility as a BT adapter because ANC treats much of the GW's music as noise and severely attenuates it, making the music sound terrible. So, those of us using the SMH10 as a BT adapter are staying at v4.3 for the time being. And I don't know if v4.3 will support pairing to your headset. If you can discover that they will pair, then this harness will work for you.

Steve

·
Registered
228 Posts
HR;

I couldn't find any info on the Web about a Cardo Scala Q1 pairing to a Sena SMH10 v4.3. However, I know that a SMH10 with v5.0 has a "Universal Pairing" feature, which sounds like that's your answer. But, v5.0 also has a new feature that cannot be disabled called Advanced Noise Control that severely impairs the SMH10's utility as a BT adapter because ANC treats much of the GW's music as noise and severely attenuates it, making the music sound terrible. So, those of us using the SMH10 as a BT adapter are staying at v4.3 for the time being. And I don't know if v4.3 will support pairing to your headset. If you can discover that they will pair, then this harness will work for you.

Steve
Steve, installed v5 on all 3 SMH10's - all works except for the music as mentioned however since we each pair our phones to our SMH10s that is not a show stopper - will be testing the CB portion of it this weekend. also noticed that the GW radio will play in the background during our conversation which does not sound right - anyway just some observations/updates from my end will followup this weekend

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harness Available at Sierra Electronics

Great news! Sierra Electronics now sells both the SMH10 and SR10 versions of the GW-Sena Harness.

If you're going to Daytona or Kissimmee, stop by the Sierra Electronics booth and check out all their products.

Sierra Electronics is a great company, with large assortment of unique products for your bike. Top-notch customer service focused on your satisfaction.

Check it out at: http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=539

BTW: Start testing next week on a Cardo Scala version for Yamaha Royal Star Venture and a Sena version for Harleys.

Steve Schmidt (fox2kill)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great news! Sierra Electronics now sells both the SMH10 and SR10 versions of the GW-Sena Harness.

If you're going to Daytona or Kissimmee, stop by the Sierra Electronics booth and check out all their products.

Sierra Electronics is a great company, with large assortment of unique products for your bike. Top-notch customer service focused on your satisfaction.

BTW: Start testing next week on a Cardo Scala version for Yamaha Royal Star Venture and a Sena version for Harleys.

Steve Schmidt (fox2kill)
Steve, Congrats on getting the harness picked up by Sierra - I'm guessing that the additional harness they added is for future use of sorts - so far I have used it on a couple of short trip and working well - good luck

Reactions: EricW88

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am one of the original testers and Steve is great to deal with. His product works perfectly as detailed above.
My harness that I requested from Steve has dual plugs so I can still used wired option if I choose.

Great experience and proud to be a small part of the process of a great invention????

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is what I have, essentially all the same engineering wise the only diff is the additional boomless mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Steve...:congrats: on this project...been following this for a few months. I am going to buy the SMH10
and the Sierra GW SMH10 Harness, along with the SM10... because I want to listen to stereo.

I noticed in the description of the SM10, it mentions a handlebar mount...

Q: Can this unit be placed in the left pocket, along with the SMH10 Harness?

Q: How long would you guess it takes to hook up the harness, and SM10 ?

Thanks Steve

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve...:congrats: on this project...been following this for a few months. I am going to buy the SMH10
and the Sierra GW SMH10 Harness, along with the SM10... because I want to listen to stereo.

I noticed in the description of the SM10, it mentions a handlebar mount...

Q: Can this unit be placed in the left pocket, along with the SMH10 Harness?

Q: How long would you guess it takes to hook up the harness, and SM10 ?

Thanks Steve

John
Hi John;

Plenty of room in the left pocket box for the harness' helmet clamp, SMH10, and a SM10. Takes 10 minutes to install everything. To get to the GW's audio system connector (the red one in the picture) requires removing the left pocket box. 2008 and later models require a shelter trim piece to be removed first before removing the box. No special tools, just a screwdriver.
GW 1.jpg

Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AKE PowerCom Bluetooth Adapter for GWs, HDs, and Others

Finally found someone else doing the same thing my GW-Sena Harness does. Does not surprise me because the way the harness works is way too easy for it to be an original idea so many years after BT technology became well known. Picture below is a GW Bluetooth adapter from a company called AKE. At $300, it's a little pricey. The Sierra Electronics SMH10 harness plus the required SMH10 unit costs about $235. The SR10 harness and the required SR10 costs about $195.

AKE is a company in Germany, so clearly they cater to the German community of bike riders, and US riders don't hear much about them. However, a US company called Spoiled Biker carries their products. Check them out at: http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3898.html

This discovery of another similar product means the technique my harnesses use is "prior art" and the patent I applied for would be a waste of time to continue to pursue. Therefore, any manufacturer so inclined may now use my harness design as a basis for their own.

Anyone on this forum have any experience with AKE products? Would love to hear what you think about them.

I know it's crazy but this new development does not deter me from continuing to test my other harness configurations for HD, Yamaha, and other BT units. Will make these developments known on this forum after tests prove they work.

Steve (fox2kill)

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
You better review the gadget info

Finally found someone else doing the same thing my GW-Sena Harness does. Does not surprise me because the way the harness works is way too easy for it to be an original idea so many years after BT technology became well known. Picture below is a GW Bluetooth adapter from a company called AKE. At $300, it's a little pricey. The Sierra Electronics SMH10 harness plus the required SMH10 unit costs about $235. The SR10 harness and the required SR10 costs about $195.

AKE is a company in Germany, so clearly they cater to the German community of bike riders, and US riders don't hear much about them. However, a US company called Spoiled Biker carries their products. Check them out at: http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3898.html

This discovery of another similar product means the technique my harnesses use is "prior art" and the patent I applied for would be a waste of time to continue to pursue. Therefore, any manufacturer so inclined may now use my harness design as a basis for their own.

Anyone on this forum have any experience with AKE products? Would love to hear what you think about them.

I know it's crazy but this new development does not deter me from continuing to test my other harness configurations for HD, Yamaha, and other BT units. Will make these developments known on this forum after tests prove they work.

Steve (fox2kill)

Steve,

I looked at this device several months ago, and if they have not changed it, don't believe it is the same technology. A person would need 2 for both the rider and passenger to hear/use the device and it needs to be where you can get to it so you can change from mono to stereo.

Think you still have a patent possibility as your device is certainly an upgrade at least.

Donnie

·
Registered
60 Posts

Steve Schmidt (fox2kill)
Steve,

Does the Sierra Electronics version allow the existing wired connector to continue to function?

Jennifer

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve,

Does the Sierra Electronics version allow the existing wired connector to continue to function?

Jennifer
Yes. It will support both the wireless adapter and continue to support wired headsets. Therefore, you could go wireless or wired. However, I have never tested using both the wireless adapter and a wired headset at the same time; don't know if that will work and don't know why such a configuration would be desired.

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes. It will support both the wireless adapter and continue to support wired headsets. Therefore, you could go wireless or wired. However, I have never tested using both the wireless adapter and a wired headset at the same time; don't know if that will work and don't know why such a configuration would be desired.

Steve
Steve,

ROFL, I did mean one or the other, just wanted to be sure that I didn't HAVE to use the bluetooth connection if for whatever reason I wanted to revert to the old wired connection without having to pull the pocket and remove the adapter wiring.

Thank you for the reply and for your efforts! :bow:

Jennifer

1 - 20 of 152 Posts