GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had Shoei for my Fullface hemlet, and the wife chose the Arai when we went shopping for her. I had her try on the RF 1000 and the Corsair, and would not tell her what the price was for each. After she chose the Arai, I told her how much, and still she wanted the Arai.
I decided to get myself an Arai last week and now that I have used both, I can tell you a bit of the differences.

The Arai is definately more comfortable to wear for my shaped head, and the amount of air moving through the top is better than any I have tried. The Shoei is not uncomfortable, but after using the Arai it is definately my second choice for wear. The place the Shoei leaps way out front is the lack of noise. Shoei has always been known for their ability to block a good deal of the noise and I never realized how much until I rode to work using the Arai. The advantage the Arai has over the Shoei in the moving air inside the bucket is also the downfall of it's noise level. The amount of wind noise is so loud I am unable to hear the music from the speakers at 70 mph while I am able to clearly hear the sound while wearing the Shoei. Get a few cars around you and add a bit of buffeting and the Arai is almost unbearable without ear-plugs.

The Arai was really designed for the crotch rockets, no faring and the "head over heals" riding position. On a sport bike the helmet is not as loud, but still the Shoei had a lot less noise.

I have several styles of helmets I wear, and chose full face when I am commuting or riding alone just to get the extra protection in the event of the unthinkable. Shuberth has a new 3/4 helmet out that includes a chin-bar to give it the same full face protection yet the visibility of the 3/4. I have looked at this helmet, but it is not available here in the USA. There are a few dealers in the UK who will sell to us here, but the price tag is $700+ by the time you do the conversion.

In conclusion I don't think you can go wrong with either the Shoei or the Arai if you don't mind dealing with the added noise after 50 MPH in the Arai, it is just that much more comfortable it is a great choice. If you are looking for a winter helmet, the Shoei is a great choice and still comfortable. Please keep in mind there are a lot of other Fullface manufacturers out there, but these are the only two I have personal experience with to make this comparison.

Price for the Shoei RF-1000 solid color is found on the net regularly at $331.00, and the Arai RX7 Corsair Solid $659.00.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife says it's oval, so I will have to go with her opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts