GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is not Motorcycle related, but I have to share.

My Daughter just left our house to say goodbye, one more time.

She is on her way to Iraq for the fourth time. I have such an empty feeling, that she is going over, one more time. This constant rotation is devastating to all of us.

What makes me so proud, is that she left here , telling me how this is what she signed up for and that she has a Duty to our country to carry this forward. I do not share her thoughts on this one.

In each previous Tour of Duty, I was gleeful that she was home, safe and would not have to go back. Not so!

This is not a post about pity or anything like that. I am angry, sad and frustrated.

Lots of young American have gone over there with not as good of results as my Daughter has experienced. And not a day goes by that I do not thank them for their service and sacrifice.

What can I say, about my Kid, whom has dedicated her life and sacrificed much, to be like her Dad? I should have kicked her ass and never let her go in the Air Force in the first place.

While most American kids are home, living with a parent or guardian, wondering where they can score some drugs, get laid and provide our Social Services with another burden, She is proudly off to do her "Duty".

I am maxed out on this conflict. The Politics that has us over there. The lack of a Draft system that would let all of Americas youth share in the burden.

Again, I am just venting and scared for that which is most dear to me.

Bulldog

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
THAT my friends is one hard post to comment on.....

All I know is I am glad and Proud to be an American in America

Matt(Ashland,MA) :flg:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Wow, Dawg...

Like Matt says... hard to comment here. Can't say that I know what you're going thru, or how it feels.. cause I don't. I know that there are a few here that can relate, as they have sons and/or other family memebrs over there... but mine are both at home.

Since I was a Marine way back when... I remember actually encouraging my oldest son a few years back to check out the opportunities available for him as a Marine Corps Combat Engineer officer... or, most probably, in the Naval Engineering Corps (since his major interest & degree is in Civil Egineering).

But being honest, I have to admit how relieved I am these days that he chose the corporate path instead.

Like you, I'll not turn this into a political post. Just know that I feel for ya, and hope that she returns home quickly... safe & unharmed.

Tom

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
BullDog, our hearts are with you and your Daughter as she heads over for another tour. It is ALWAYS difficult to see our family members heading into harms way. As you stated, her sense of duty make you proud and I think many of us wish there were more young people with this sense of duty. May your daughter return as she has from her previous tours in the sandbox. Our prayers will be with you all! We are thankful to all of those who serve (and have served) for their "sense of duty"!!

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
If you don't mind me asking Dog, what is her AFSC? (Job for those Air Force illiterate).

Bradford

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only words to her are: "thank you for your commitment"

And words to above: "May god watch over you and return you safely to family and friends"

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Thanks and prayers from our family to yours, Dog.
May she be safe and enjoy her chosen military career. May you and Meesch have the comfort of knowing when she does come home again it will be the last tour for her and she will always be safe from war.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Bulldog... Vent away, that's what friends are for!

I understand your frustration, and your concerns, and like others, I won't turn this into a political (we should / we shouldn't be there) thread.

But I do want to comment on this point:

Bulldog said:
The lack of a Draft system that would let all of Americas youth share in the burden.
The entire time of my service, it was comforting to know that everyone of us in the field was there because we wanted to be. We were all there serving because we chose to dedicate ourselves to something larger than our own self interest. In your daughter, of this you can hold the highest pride immaginable!

But I would not want to be in a combat situation with someone who was there because 'they had to be'. The druggies the judges send in to foxholes because they don't have a better re-habilitation program is not the guy I want watching my back!

I'm not trying to diminish your angst or hijack the thread... but I've had other conversations about bringing back a draft, and it is not an idea I am fond of.... Just food for thought.

Keep up the venting it helps, and thank your daughter for me!

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I have never been in the military nor my kids. But we all have our freedons due to those who have. We should have some sort of required 2 year military service when you turn 18 and in return they should opt to pay tuition for a state run 4 yr college or approved trade.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Dawg,
As a parent, a friend, a proud American, an angry American, a confident American, and a scared American, I can only attempt to feel your pain and your pride. I know you have a lot of both. I'm glad you felt you could and should share with us. Thanks to your daughter and thanks to you. We all love ya. Please pass our love and thanks on to your daughter.

C.J.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
As a veteran, American citizen and especially as a parent I say thanks to your daughter and to you and your wife for her above and beyond call of duty.

Salute to your daughter and may God protect her and bring her speedily home, safe and sound.

:flg:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
CJS said:
Dawg,
As a parent, a friend, a proud American, an angry American, a confident American, and a scared American, I can only attempt to feel your pain and your pride. I know you have a lot of both. I'm glad you felt you could and should share with us. Thanks to your daughter and thanks to you. We all love ya. Please pass our love and thanks on to your daughter.

C.J.
Damn CJ......You've got a way with words !! I couldn't have said more.

Godspeed.......

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Havin' been there myself but not my kid, I'll chime in with Hedo as CJS covered it plus we're here for ya to vent on this type of subject anytime, OTB or not. :wink:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Luther, (Bulldog), Friend,

I will not even try and top anything already said here, but from the heart I can say thank you to your daughter for her service and prayers will be said for both of you right along with the rest of them that are over there along with their families.

Ross

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
We thank her for her service and pray that she returns safely to you and yours.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bulldog,

You and your family are in my prayers. May God bless her and all that serve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bulldog, I come here every day and rarely post anything here, but I felt compelled after reading your post. I know there is nothing I can say to relieve your burden, but know that your daughter and you will be in my prayers today.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Brother ? She's a winner !........ The type of child we all strive to have.
Be proud of her dedication. She's doing what she feels. Smile from your heart and be PROUD Dad ..............

1 - 20 of 44 Posts