GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know an honest fellow GW'er or good friend that can give me an honest estimate for replacing my furnace? I have 2 estimates so far and one is for $2,700 and the other is for just under $6,000!!!! Both shops are in good standing with the local BBB and the higher one has been around for over 40 years with 20 employees. Very disappointing especially since I am purposfully getting quotes for the exact same unit!

Any help would be great. Thanks...

Miss the OT board, so, sorry if this offends anyone....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try Sorenson heating in Lombard been using him for years and he seems to be quite honest even though he is a Harley Rider.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
You don't say whether it's gas or electric, or how many BTU's you need. But $2,700 may be hard to beat. Especially if that's removing the old one, & installing the new one. Good luck, as it's a bad time of year for buying a new furnace. You could probably get a heck of a deal in July.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I could understand six grand for a boiler but not a furnace unless you have a 6000 square foot house

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mirage!!!!!

PLEASE contact me via a PM. I have a name (senior Chapter Director) that I trust explicitly. He lives in Addison and I guarantee you will NOT be ripped off!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm about 40 miles north of you, so I can't help much, but $6000.00 sounds way high. Get a 3rd estimate, get it ALL in writing, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
shoot me an e-mail with the specs.

I'll see what I can do for ya.

·
Registered
266 Posts
$2,700 is not bad. That guy that has been around for 40yrs with 20 employees probly has alot more overhead. Thats why he charges $6000.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Last month I paid $5k for a new hot water boiler installed. 150k BTU. That kind of hit me hard, but it was the least estimate. The others were up over $6k. This time of year you don't have much choice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bash said:
Last month I paid $5k for a new hot water boiler installed. 150k BTU. That kind of hit me hard, but it wast the least estimate. The others were up over $6k. This time of year you don't have much choice.
Man, I gotta raise my prices

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
brihvac said:
$2,700 is not bad. That guy that has been around for 40yrs with 20 employees probly has alot more overhead. Thats why he charges $6000.

??????? for what system??? For a Goodman 75% builder grade? 2700 is outrageous, For a Rheem, 90+ standard blower, 2700 is about ball park

For a Trane 2stage Variable speed with a 10 year parts & labor warranty, 6 G's is a "little high" but not to bad.

What size is the furnace? Natural gas or Propane? 80% or 93%? 2stage or Modulating? multi-speed blower? or Variable speed?

What size is your duct work? what size is your return air trunk?

There are to many questions to answer here. We need way more 411

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have friends that work in HVAC, and a rule of thumb is half Labor, Half Furnace. If the Furnace costs around 1300, labor should run about the same, unless difficulties arise. Usually, a good Sheet Metal man is needed to do the final work. Installing one is not difficult. Electric, Controls and Gas. It's the sheet metal work that's the bear. 2700 is an excellent price for the same work/furnace. I'd jump on it. After all, they need to be bonded by your city/village and I'd have the city/village come in to inspect once the work is complete.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
J=mac is right on when it comes to the pricing. sounds just the same as here in Ohio

I ran an HVAC company until July.........sold all brands.................

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
J-mac said:
brihvac said:

??????? for what system??? For a Goodman 75% builder grade? 2700 is outrageous, For a Rheem, 90+ standard blower, 2700 is about ball park

For a Trane 2stage Variable speed with a 10 year parts & labor warranty, 6 G's is a "little high" but not to bad.

What size is the furnace? Natural gas or Propane? 80% or 93%? 2stage or Modulating? multi-speed blower? or Variable speed?

J-Mac is right on. You need to do quite a bit more investigation to find out exactly what you are going to have when it's all said and done. The world of furnaces in this day and age is far far different than it was not that long ago. There are also good ones and not nearly as good ones (and more importantly, as efficient). Once you have the right make and model of furnace down (I assume no air conditioning is needed?), then you also need to do some serious investigation on the contractor that is going to do the work. I good contractor, and life is wonderful and your job gets done on time and perfectly. A bad contractor and there are endless delays, the job consistantly never goes right and inevitably have questions on money.

This is no different that talking about a good price for insurance on a Goldwing. The price is immaterial when you don't know about the carrier and their reputation for handling insurance and claims service, the limits, the coverages, the deductibles, the territory, and the policy limitations.

Dig Dig,

DaleC

·
Registered
266 Posts
J-mac said:
brihvac said:

Oh boy! Here we go. I like the Trane. But... I would put a Janitrol "Goodman" in before a Rheem. I havnt pulled a Rheem out yet that didnt have a cracked heat exchanger. Most are less than 10yrs. old.

Alot also depends on your location. Sears around here quoted a guy $10,000 for a Trane 125,000 BTU 80% with a 5ton 13 seer A/C. I love when guys are that high. Then I come in and price the same job thousands cheaper.

Im gonna stay out of this one and let the "experts" handle this :roll:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. Here is the info.

House built in 1969, so stuff is old. I have a Trane XL90 built in 1993 and is 100,000 BTU. House is 3,000 sq ft. The current furnace is blowing ignitors every couple of months and is noisy operation.

One estimate calls for a Lennox Signarue 94%EFUE dual stage blower with special operating for low heat requirements. The add ons are new duct from the furnace up to the main line in the ceiling (open) and new return duct from the main line to the furnace. They will need to run two pvc pipes out the back of the house (I have one now) and run a new condense line to the floor drain and not into the current ejector pit (well and septic with bath, shower and laundry under grade). Other add ons are Lennox Media Air Cleaner and Lennox power humidifier with auto control and new Lennox thermostat. The installer has been around for 45 year and comes with multiple recommendations from local friends.

The other est is from another local guy in business for 8 years. For a Bryant Preferred Series 93%. His estimate is from pictures I posted locally. I am getting him to the house this Sat for a look and make sure the comrarison is apples to apples. I am also getting two other estimates. They say that the installation is more important than the equipment. I will post addtl info this weekend, as I am out of town on business. Thanks for all the great suggestions!!!

I am even thinking about using a cornburner as soon as I can find some corn growers here in Chicago!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
We used this place a couple of years ago for a completed replacement (furnace/AC). They sold us and installed a Trane 2 Stage. They were not the cheapest quote we received, but the most thorough. Can't remember off hand what the total was but it seemed "fair" to us based on the other quotes.

Complete Comfort Systems
(847) 741-3030

539 Morse Ave
Schaumburg, IL 60193

1 - 20 of 27 Posts