GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 15 amp fuse for my tail lights on my '02 has blown twice in the past week. I am fairly confident this means I have a short somewhere.

My question is this.....Has anyone else had the same problem or has anyone heard of a problem area in the wiring where I could start looking? I know there are miles of wires on these machines and I really don't have the time to try and trace every possibility.

I posted this on the general board as well, hoping to get a quick answer.

Thanks for any help!

Paul H.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have not had the proablem, but I would ask what have you done recently to the bike? Removed the seat, installed any hardware etc. Most of the time these things just don't "happen" out of the blue.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
see my reply on the Gen board

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Paul, that fuse also powers the cruise/reverse control unit. Do you by any chance know if the fuse is blowing when you operate either one of those features?

Shorts are generally owner caused, so the best place to start is to take a look at anything you have done to the bike. The most obvious question would be, do you have a trailer connector? If so, I would bet on that.

There is no easy way to trace shorts. It is especially tough when it is intermittent. If the cruise module isn't the culprit, something is obviously pinched somewhere. Because of the intermittent nature, about the only thing you can do is a visual inspection of all the wiring in that circuit.

Do you have a rear spoiler? The wiring in the trunk lid could be getting pinched and shorting out to the lid hinges.

Do you have foglights? They tap into the taillight relay.

Have you installed LED brake lights?

BTW, it is considered bad etiquette and rude to cross post the same topic in two different sections of a website, even on a loose board like this. People who want to respond have no way of knowing if they are repeating someone's answer unless they go to both topics. I'm not slapping your hands, but many people don't know this. Most people here visit both forums anyway.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul, that fuse also powers the cruise/reverse control unit. Do you by any chance know if the fuse is blowing when you operate either one of those features?

Haven't used either in the past two weeks.

Shorts are generally owner caused, so the best place to start is to take a look at anything you have done to the bike. The most obvious question would be, do you have a trailer connector? If so, I would bet on that.

I do have a trailer harness, but, it's been on the bike for about 4 years now and nothing has changed in that area. I did visually inspect those wires and they look fine.

There is no easy way to trace shorts. It is especially tough when it is intermittent. If the cruise module isn't the culprit, something is obviously pinched somewhere. Because of the intermittent nature, about the only thing you can do is a visual inspection of all the wiring in that circuit.

Do you have a rear spoiler? The wiring in the trunk lid could be getting pinched and shorting out to the lid hinges.

Do have a spoiler....checked the wires there and they look okay. Also, the spoiler is only wired as a brake light, not running light.

Do you have foglights? They tap into the taillight relay.

Have you installed LED brake lights?

No fog lights or LED's installed.

BTW, it is considered bad etiquette and rude to cross post the same topic in two different sections of a website, even on a loose board like this. People who want to respond have no way of knowing if they are repeating someone's answer unless they go to both topics. I'm not slapping your hands, but many people don't know this. Most people here visit both forums anyway.
I appreciate the advice and wouldn't normally do that, but, I need an answer FAST. The 2.5 mile mountain ride is coming up and I want to have a fully functioning bike....Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

Thanks for the reply!

Paul H.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean M.,

Haven't had the seat off for about a year now. Not since I replaced my torn one. Thanks for the reply and thought!

Paul H.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
One last thing item to add to my previous list. Since you have a trailer connector, you obviously have a hitch. If your hitch is a Bushtec, or a similar one that has the upper mounts under the seat, those arms can interfere with the OEM harness that goes back to the taillights. I had to slightly change the routing of mine so that the wiring didn't rub. We have had a few people here who have had problems in that area from hitches.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Rivco hitch. It does come up to the upper frame to connect. I checked what I could see there, no signs of chaffing.

Paul H.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts