Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember this thread:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198246

Or this one:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199424

I thought I'd give you an update.

I purchased the Blue Sea fuse box described in the first thread. I bought the 12 circuit one instead of the six circuit one so I would have extra circuits should I want to add something in the future. The six circuit model is about $36 while the 12 circuit model was $46.

Today I installed a set of Piaa 910 driving lights and the fuse box. The Piaa lights came with a switch and relay along with a trigger wire for the relay. I connected the trigger wire to the high beam line so they will go off and on with the high beam/low beam switch. If I want to run the high beams alone, I can turn the Piaa lights off with their switch.

I ran a dedicated line from the Piaa wiring harness to the new fuse box. I put the fuse box in the trunk on top of the CB cover. I also ran wires from the two PowerLet plugs I have directly to the fuse box.

Now, all fuses are in the trunk, which should make them easy to change if needed. The location also keeps everything dry.

Only thing I need to do now is cut a cleaner looking piece of foam to hold the Ipod.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Looks like ya did a very nice install.

I would love to have a set of lights like those under your mirrors. Did they come with a mounting bracket or did you have to make your own.

Please send me the information of where you got them.

Thanks in advance! :congrats:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Very clean installation :thumbup: I like the fuse block in the trunk.

Someday I'll take some pictures of my installation and post them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Looks like ya did a very nice install.

I would love to have a set of lights like those under your mirrors. Did they come with a mounting bracket or did you have to make your own.

Please send me the information of where you got them.

Thanks in advance! :congrats:
go tp www.cyclegagets.com they have that set up with HID and PIAA lights

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hummm, I like it .. where did you come up with that idea? :joke:
as soon as I get my bike back from the shop, I'll be doing the same thing. My box may not fit in that space tho, I have a CB unit in there. maybe I'll stack it like you would if you had a CD player and a CB unit in that space. It will make my hook up for my remote video camera a lot closer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hummm, I like it .. where did you come up with that idea? :joke:
as soon as I get my bike back from the shop, I'll be doing the same thing. My box may not fit in that space tho, I have a CB unit in there. maybe I'll stack it like you would if you had a CD player and a CB unit in that space. It will make my hook up for my remote video camera a lot closer.
Actually there is a CB radio in there. The fuse box is sitting on top of the plastic cover that comes with the CB.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Very nice install and the unit looks to be heavy duty.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I see that now... :thumbup:

·
Registered
467 Posts
connection block

i am developing a similar installation and possibly install a wire connection block under the seat. I am then going to run a group of wires from the fuse block to the connection block. How did you route the wires from the trunk and keep the water out?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wish I had seen that 2 months ago. Installed by fuse panel next to the battery, but don't really like that. It is too congested with the fuse panel, wiring for the maintainer or compressor and the related wiring. See that I can't ride til the later part of April, might just redo the setup.
Looks great and love the idea. :bow:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Looks good. Do you have an inline fuse close to the battery or is the wire from the battery unproteced to the fuse box?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good. Do you have an inline fuse close to the battery or is the wire from the battery unproteced to the fuse box?
Right now the wire to the battery is not fused. I am looking for a fuse of appropriate amperage (70-100). So far, I have not found one that would seem to work. I may go to some local car stereo stores and see if they have a fuse or circuit breaker they use when installing stereo amplifiers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts