GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
7,618 Posts
Has anyone used these:
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

Comments pro or con would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide between the Fuzeblock and the Electrical Connection setup with fuse block and separate ground block. Both would cost about the same.
TIA
Only drawback to the ground block is that you have to run a wire to AND FROM your accessory. Any good point on the frame can serve as a ground. There are solid green (OEM GROUND) wires everywhere that you can tie into as well.

· Registered
787 Posts
I have a Fuzeblock on my FJR and the EC set up on my wing. Both do the job but the Fuzeblock is more versatile in that it incorporates the ground and each terminal can be switched with the ignition or constant power. I usually install a separate wire harness for add on accessories and prefer not to tie into the bike harness if at all possible. Just be mindful of the capacity of each circuit and the unit as a whole and don't exceed them.

If I had known about Fuzeblocks prior to setting up my wing, I'd have one on both bikes.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
I had EC's power block and ground block on the OrangeCrush ... but after seeing the Fuzeblock on Brian Fenner's bike, I decided I liked that way clean option instead. I like EC's stuff ... but I never did like the way the power block fit near the battery.
My Fuzeblock is on it's way (should be here today) so it'll be ready along with all the other stuff when it gets warm enough to start dismantling the '09.

· Registered
765 Posts
I haven't tried the Fuzeblocks. Looking at the link, they appear rather large. I do have the EC setup. I'm satisfied with EC's ground block, but unhappy with the fuse block - with the location it's in, it's always difficult to remove and replace the battery (which happens every winter). I'd look carefully at the size of the Fuzeblocks before committing.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably follow Fred H's example:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/batteryconnections
although I'd have to remove all the connections prior to removing the battery.

Arthur

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I have the Fuze Block on my Gold Wing. I like the design, small physical size, capability for constant or switched power and the fact you don't need terminal loops on the ends of your accessory wires. Also the combined negative ground built right into the Fuze Block.

When I remove the battery bracket, the bracket with Fuze Block just lays to the left side (out of the way) and the battery just slides right out with no problems.

· Registered
123 Posts
I have the EC setup including the ground block. The EC panel is a very tight fit and I have a problem with the top fuse being knocked out of place when I reinstall the cover. I have no experience with the Fuzeblock.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
I used the Fuzeblocks on my '09...........this has to be one of the slickest setups out there IMHO.

1. Switched or Hot with just the change of the fuse location
  2. Very compact size (Dimensions: L 3.25" x W 2.5" x H 1.25")
  3. Integral ground block (which you don't need to use if you don't want to)
  4. Terminal blocks that accept a bare wire........very secure clamping
  5. Looks very professional
Here it is on my '09..........
(the second picture also shows a solid-state relay I installed to synchronize the Kisan spoiler
brake modulator so my trailer high-mount brake light will flash in unison - this is not part of the Fuzeblock setup)

· Registered
4,091 Posts
Brian,
Very nicely done... excellent work. Question, what is the coiled cord for on the left? Looks like it's wired in at that location.

· Registered
765 Posts
There's no doubt that Brian Fenner's setup takes the prize for a clean installation. :popcorn: But I have a CB in the bottom of my trunk and for practical purposes I really like how DBohrer has added the Fuzeblock. :cool:

When I remove the battery bracket, the bracket with Fuze Block just lays to the left side (out of the way) and the battery just slides right out with no problems.
So, there's enough room (depth) between the battery bracket and sidecover to fit the Fuzeblock?

· Registered
948 Posts
Do you have any pics of how you mounted it? Sounds good.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Mark, Curt Gran whom I ordered the Fuze Block from sent me a flat plate the same size (width and length) as the Fuze Block. It bolts to the rear of the Fuze Block and there is a very small gap between the plate and the block. I have the plate tie wrapped to the battery bracket. It is secure and works great.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
Brian,
Very nicely done... excellent work. Question, what is the coiled cord for on the left? Looks like it's wired in at that location.
Thanks........
The picture below tells the whole story.........the coiled cord is the power cord for my iPod Touch which plugs into a dual power port I installed. The power port gets it's power from the Fuzeblock. You can see the cord exit through the grommet and it re-enters with the rest of the wires in the Fuzeblock area.

As mentioned the Fuzeblock comes with a rear mounting plate............a suggestion is to use the Industrial (plastic type) velcro to mount it even if you attach in the battery area. Slightly cleaner install and that type of velcro isn't going to budge.
That's how I attached mine to the bottom of the CB box.

· Curious Member
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great input and installation tips. It's good to have such a large pool of knowledge and experience to draw from.

:bow::bow::bow:

· Registered
376 Posts
Here's how I did mine. It's a Blue Sea model and costs $45.95 plus shipping, which was $6 for me.

It can handle up to 12 separately fused circuits, has both a positive and negative terminal for each circuit, has a total capacity of 100 amps, and carries spare fuses. This model is not switched with the ignition but you could put a relay between it and the battery if you wanted. A six circuit model is also available for $35.95. Here's the link:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=106885&group=

The yellow thing above the fuse box is a sponge that I cut a cavity into in order to carry my iPod.

The fuse box is installed on top of the CB cover using a 3M product similar to Velcro but much stronger.

DBohrer, is your bike a 1500 or an 1800? There's some type of fluid reservoir next to your battery which isn't on the 1800. The reason I'm asking is that the original poster has an 1800 and it may not fit on his battery the same as yours.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Here's how I did mine. It's a Blue Sea model and costs $45.95 plus shipping, which was $6 for me.

It can handle up to 12 separately fused circuits, has both a positive and negative terminal for each circuit, has a total capacity of 100 amps, and carries spare fuses. This model is not switched with the ignition but you could put a relay between it and the battery if you wanted. A six circuit model is also available for $35.95. Here's the link:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=106885&group=

The yellow thing above the fuse box is a sponge that I cut a cavity into in order to carry my iPod.

The fuse box is installed on top of the CB cover using a 3M product similar to Velcro but much stronger.

DBohrer, is your bike a 1500 or an 1800? There's some type of fluid reservoir next to your battery which isn't on the 1800. The reason I'm asking is that the original poster has an 1800 and it may not fit on his battery the same as yours.
It is a 1500......! But I have several riding friends with 1800's and I believe the FZ-1 unit will fit on the battery bracket.

I had a Blue Sea "6 circuit" fuse block on my bike before installing the FZ-1 Fuze Block. I had it controller with a relay triggered by the 5-amp accessory terminal. I like the FZ-1 much better, it's considerably smaller and a much cleaner and neater installation. It does everything I need.

· Registered
60 Posts
I also have the EC fuseblock and am not real happy with it. This Fuze Block looks like the ticket for me. For those that have installed it, where did you get the 12v switched power source from that triggers the relay?

-Doug

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I also have the EC fuseblock and am not real happy with it. This Fuze Block looks like the ticket for me. For those that have installed it, where did you get the 12v switched power source from that triggers the relay?

From the 5-amp accessory terminal at the fuse box.

· Registered
3,805 Posts
No offense to any one's setup but........
That is one thing I like about my setup...............only 3-wires in the confined battery area. Positive, ground, and a switched line............

All the rest of the wires run into the hidden area under the trunk CB cover...........I've seen others do the same as my setup even with a CB, just add a plate over the top to make a second level (where the CD changer would normally sit).

Yea I'm a neat freak...............I can't help it. :22yikes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.