GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some info / looking for comments. I just triked my 01 wing with 126K at this point. I have only put about 1500 miles on it since triking and decided to check the mileage. On two separate rides with my SO on board, back roads and speeds mostly around 45 - 55 I am getting about 34 mpg. I am really surprised as I expected it be be lower. Don't know what will happen on a trip at 70 mph on the highway. Roadsmith HTS kit, by the way.
I normally got around 40 on trips out west when on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
That's about right.
I get around 34 mpg at highway speeds (55-75) and only 2-3 mpg more around town and country roads.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I get between 32-36 depending whether The BOSS is in copilot seat or not. She gets 34-38mpg. Can't figure out how she does so much better.:shrug::twisted:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Two up riding the Arkansas twisties with my co-rider consistently averages 37 mpg. Loaded for a trip and pulling a trailer at 70 mpg on Interstate drops it to the 32-34 range. 06 Wing with Roadsmith conversion.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I can honestly say I have never checked it on the new trike. Could be because I siphon gas out of the other trikes parked around the hotel at night, lots cheaper that way you know.:lol::oops::shock:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I guess it's time for a locking gas cap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least when I'm with Charley Ha Ha

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I only get about 32 indicated mpg or 30-31 pulling a camper.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I get 30mpg around town commuting. 35-65+ mph.
26 miles total both ways.
Not a clue on the highway??
Haven't taken a long enough trip yet in 17K miles.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I do good to get 30 on a good day @65mph and 2800 RPM's. If I run 70 I normally get 28.5 +- a tad. RPM's at 70 should be just at 3000 but are at 33/3400

·
Registered
889 Posts
I get between 30 and 31 mpg from Jan 1 to Dec 31, all miles, all conditions, mostly pulling an MCT Aluma with my wife mate aboard. I run against the wind more or less all year long. I'm a load and a half, and my wife doesn't add a huge lot to that tare. I've gotten as low as 24 against a 45/50 mph direct headwind. On runs where the speed is 50/55 without the wind, I've gotten 38 or 9. Speed and rpms definitely make a difference. I set my cruise at 2900 rpms, which is about 68/69 mph as recorded by the speedometer. That's generally 65 mph by my Garmin. If I bump speed up to 75 recorded, mph goes down noticeably. Recorded 80 mph (legal 75 mph on most Texas roads these days) really whacks mpg (less than 30 mpg with little or no wind). All that said, I don't worry much about mpg. As long as it's fun, and it nearly always is huge fun, I don't much care. Buying gas is just the admission ticket for us!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Buying gas is just the admission ticket for us!!
I 100% agree
MPG is not a reason for concern when owning a large bike.
Unless its unreasonably low.
These are not econo boxes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
mileage

Anything over 75 mph and 3K RPM, your mileage is going south. Add a passenger, trailer, headwings, etc, etc. and it even gets worse. Last trip of 4500 miles, one tank I got 24.3 mpg @ 77 mph, two up, loaded Bushtec. Compared to my F450, pulling the ToyHauler, this is great:)) Only way to get really good mileage is LIE.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I hear many Tails.........;) I think I was ripped off, yep my new Motor Trike is a lemon. Maybe is is simply addicted to gasoline. I have heard that long term addiction does cause overuse. Lol!

It gets from 25 to 35 miles per gallon depending on the situation, but I keep hoping those Tails will come true and the Lemon will not fall from the tree.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Wind resistance is a big factor with the GL1800's and it is typical to see 8-10 mpg fall in economy for almost all conventional conversions.

Sorry you got a Lemon Kit, perhaps you need lemon aid? -I guess I ended up with a Cherry.

I still get 36 - 40 with the RT's dependent on how hard I push things. In general I lost an average of 2mpg overall.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This can go on forever!!

You know if everybody bought the same kit, the same windshield, the same Baker Wings, the same lower trike Aqua shields, every one had a governor on their trike to control speed, the same final gear ratio, weighed the same, pulled a trailer, carried a passenger, carried the same air pressure all around, carried no COOKIES, had a reserve tank filled and so on everyone would get very close fuel mileage.... but as you can see that just isn't the case!!! So don't sweat the small stuff, you bought it to enjoy and enjoy with your SO, so if it really bothers you that your mileage is not the same as Mother Honda states in a Bike Manual... get over it... go ride and enjoy and if it causes you stress about worrying about mileage you should probably get a Vespa or sell that gosh awful fuel sucking Goldwing Trike !!! Maybe a bicycle is in order, a skate board or something on that order...

I'm done on this topic, bring on the acid rain !!!!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You know if everybody bought the same kit, the same windshield, the same Baker Wings, the same lower trike Aqua shields, every one had a governor on their trike to control speed, the same final gear ratio, weighed the same, pulled a trailer, carried a passenger, carried the same air pressure all around, carried no COOKIES, had a reserve tank filled and so on everyone would get very close fuel mileage.... but as you can see that just isn't the case!!! So don't sweat the small stuff, you bought it to enjoy and enjoy with your SO, so if it really bothers you that your mileage is not the same as Mother Honda states in a Bike Manual... get over it... go ride and enjoy and if it causes you stress about worrying about mileage you should probably get a Vespa or sell that gosh awful fuel sucking Goldwing Trike !!! Maybe a bicycle is in order, a skate board or something on that order...

I'm done on this topic, bring on the acid rain !!!!

That is the best answer I've heard about fuel mileage. Change the title and insert the subject of choice for about 90% of the "what is best" questions. I'm probably wrong it's probably closer to 100% but then I tend to get a good laugh out o them.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Wind resistance is a big factor with the GL1800's and it is typical to see 8-10 mpg fall in economy for almost all conventional conversions.

Sorry you got a Lemon Kit, perhaps you need lemon aid? -I guess I ended up with a Cherry.

I still get 36 - 40 with the RT's dependent on how hard I push things. In general I lost an average of 2mpg overall.
I am just messing around, fuel use is not a concern. Just poking fun at all those Tails of I got 62 miles per gallon last week.

Mushrooms are on sale at Food Lion. ;) Could be a calculator and basic math skills need a bit of improvement also. Chuckle. :twisted:

Maybe they are coasting down the hill in neutral with a tailwind. Lol!

In any event I have been greatly surprised with the retention of power and torque with the Trike. Pretty nice to still be able to romp on the throttle and feel it get up and go. I would not expect that kind of performance to be easy on fuel.

No complaints, just telling a few Tails...........it is hard however to sell me a mushroom. Lol!

·
Registered
702 Posts
This post is a good place to ask this question.

I recently had my bike completely torn apart (see other thread.."I need some help") and once it was all back together again, I noticed my fuel mileage seems to have taken a major hit. So I calculated the actual mileage and found it to be normal (51 mpg Canadian, 43 mpg US). However, my guage shows empty when there is still about 6 litres of gas in the tank (1.3 gal US). So something has clearly changed !

I believe the Wing has two indicators in the fuel tank, one up top and one below. I took off the seat to see if these were both connected properly, but couldn't find or reach the lower one. Does anyone know if this lower indicator is reachable without taking the whole bike apart ?? I'm only guessing here but it would seem that if this lower indicator is not connected properly, the upper indicator would show an empty situation while there is still a lot of fuel in the tank.

Can anyone knowledgeable here help with this situation ?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Must have been the 1960's & 70's

Hey Kit, us plumbers have to stick together, 1967 on my license but working with my dad prior to that, even learned to wipe lead and made our own flashings and lead bends ... I really think it had something to do with what we passed around in the 60's & 70's, Cookies as Charley & Wheels like to call them.... but you know that stuff had no effect on me, on me, on me !!!!

My mileage is what it is, when I need to stop I stop, when I need to go - I stop, when she needs to go I get hit in the head if I don't stop.... the reserve only works on the trike, not on the kidneys!!!

It is good to twist the throttle at times, but I'm allergic to those flashing lights... knock on wood I have very good vision far away and we don't use a detector and it's been over 25 years since my last ticket and 40 since I had a wreck !! I'm screwed now... I'll be watching....

Seems Nasman also doesn't now how to take a joke and can only Post the portion of my Post he wishes to comment on / On that other Board!!! Better read it again there buddy !!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts