GL1800Riders Forums banner
1981 - 2000 of 2012 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kodiak Thanks for the fast reply. I fully understand that whatever I do is at my own risk. I backed up already the original data from the cf card so I think to give it a try with update the sotware and the maps. If it does not work I know that I've tried. Anyway I can't use the North America maps in Europe :). Could you send me the update with the instruction at [email protected]. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Kodiak Thanks for the fast reply. I fully understand that whatever I do is at my own risk. I backed up already the original data from the cf card so I think to give it a try with update the sotware and the maps. If it does not work I know that I've tried. Anyway I can't use the North America maps in Europe :). Could you send me the update with the instruction at [email protected]. Thanks in advance!
I'll get to you later today. I'm still painting my bike and won't be free until later this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sent, good luck👍🤙

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ren
If ono one else can help PM me. Also were are ou located ?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hello, I also have a 2006, sw ver 4.1, 2gb cf card city navigator north America v7.00. If you don't mind sharing simplest, low cost method to update fw and maps. email [email protected] tks View attachment 399173 View attachment 399174 View attachment 399175 View attachment 399176
Send me your email here and I'll send the FW5.1 and instructions.

As for maps, I installed my auto GPS map 2021.10(?) but, still no POI seach function at all, other than Honda dealerships.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Kodiak36
You can have the next two

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Guys, I guess I don't meet the minimum requirements to PM so I'm asking here. I have an 07 US GW and would like to update to 5.1 and the latest maps. I have many Garmin units with lifetime maps so that won't be a problem as long as I can get the unlock program to work. But I would sure like a detailed step by step process. If someone would email me the procedure check list to gespears at cox.net I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Everybody, nevermind. After perusing this thread long enough I finally was able to get through the process completely and now have 5.1 firmware and 2023.1 maps. Thanks to everybody who helped with this thread. Now I just need to find a good thread on replacing the nav screen so I can actually see my new maps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would anybody mind sending the 5.1 firmware to me? My username at Gmail, if you'd be so kind.

And am I understanding this correctly, you only lose the POI search if you update the maps, even if it's to the latest Garmin City Navigator maps? Is there a latest version that still retains all functionality?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
And am I understanding this correctly, you only lose the POI search if you update the maps, even if it's to the latest Garmin City Navigator maps? Is there a latest version that still retains all functionality?
No, if you do your own custom maps, you lose full "functionality" as far as POI searches by name. But... you still can do search by address which is easy to find because of smartphones. You can still do POI name searches if you use "nearest" but all POI's around you will pop up. If you are searching for destination, that's not much help. Another workaround on this if you have an OEM factory CompactFlash card is to turn off your bike so navi is turned off then swap in the OEM card. When you turn the bike and navi back on, you can now do a name POI search as long as the POI was around at the time the OEM card was created. Once you find it, save it as a favorite. Turn bike and navi off, put your custom card back in then turn bike and navi back on. Now you should be able to find the POI you saved as a favorite and can route to it.

One other shortcoming that you will probably find out is trying to create a route that is more than several hundred miles. Especially if you select to avoid highways. It will give you an out of memory error after you sit there for several minutes while it tries to create the route. It's best to just create shorter legs of the route for your trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I also have a 2006, sw ver 4.1, 2gb cf card city navigator north America v7.00. If you don't mind sharing simplest, low cost method to update fw and maps. email [email protected] tks View attachment 399173 View attachment 399174 View attachment 399175 View attachment 399176
I have the same situation, however mine is a 2007. The versions I have are exactly what Tmarsh has posted. So one question I have is: what is the latest firmware revision that is best for a 2007. I have already bought a new 2g cf card as well as a read to hook to my PC. Then what revision can I get and load for the maps and any additional how toos.
Thanks in advance.
David
email address [email protected]

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have the same situation, however mine is a 2007. The versions I have are exactly what Tmarsh has posted. So one question I have is: what is the latest firmware revision that is best for a 2007. I have already bought a new 2g cf card as well as a read to hook to my PC. Then what revision can I get and load for the maps and any additional how toos.
Thanks in advance.
David
email address [email protected]
The firmware for your bike is 5.1. The maps depends. Some 2006 -2008 have problems with maps newer than 2022.25. The newest garmin mapset out is 2023.20.

1981 - 2000 of 2012 Posts