GL1800Riders Forums banner
1961 - 1980 of 2012 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspencade / 2007 GL1800
7 Posts
Greetings all. New here after working on father's goldwing and trying to find a way to get it more current than 2012. Appears this is still an active thread. Currently 4.3x firmware and a 2010 map. Trying to see if I can find the 5.1 firmware to get it updated to a more recent map.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
What year is the bike? The 5.1 firmware only works on the '06 - '08 model year and the bike is still limited to using 2gb of map space on the CF card. And it makes a difference if it is a US or CAN bike. More info required to get you the correct firmware and instructions for maps.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
No worries, I think everybody does it at the start.

I can get you the firmware for 5.1 and instructions on how to load it. The maps require access to a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps or one of the other sources that riders have posted about in this thread. Shoot me your email in a PM and I'll send you the firmware file and instructions on that. To send a PM, click on the pic for your name in the upper right corner and select conversations and then you can start a conversation to send it to me.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks and will do. From reading the net various places sounds like the POI system still doesn't work if using a map newer than the official 06-08 2017.10 release from Garmin. Is that still the case?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
From using the maps over the last couple of years, the POI not working properly is an issue. What I have done is look up the address, set it in the map system and save it as whatever place you want it to be. Then you can use it as a POI when you set a route. The other issue is if you try to build a map over 2gb (perhaps the whole continental US), the map size itself is to large. You would have to split the US in half and do two cards. I usually use my home state of Texas as the split point. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South and North Dakota and the west, and then the same states and the east. I'm going to send you a dropbox link to get the firmware and the doc that I wrote up on doing the maps. The firmware numbers may be different, but the process is still the same. I have also heard that some people are using the OpenSource maps and having some success with them.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I was looking at the same, split between two cards. Out on the west coast ourselves. I've been reading positive things about openstreetmap but purchasing an unlocked lifetime map device isn't a terrible cost either. Appreciate the help here.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you want to travel across US, you will need 2 CF cars and split the map in sections you're headed to.

For a work around on POI search by name not working, I have a old 2017 map on spare CF card where the POI search by name did work.

I search places I want to go and save them as my favorites on GPS and rename it so I can find them again. The searches are not saved in CF card, it's in the GPS memory.

Remove old card, reinsert new card with updated map and FW5.1.

Go to GPS and you can route to it by placing the favorites you saved earlier.

It's a hassle but, still works. Definitely need to plan your trips ahead of time this way.

Or, just leave the old card and use it as is with outdated POI search where places may no longer exist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gaffer was a great help to me as well when I was trying to update my firmware and maps, so thank you to the OP for starting what we all wanted to ask when we got our wings. Thanks to the mods for running this great forum and thanks to the great helpful membership who provide answers for us.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
FYI to all: The latest Garmin 2022.10(?) map update is acting weird on my bike and on auto GPS.

While traveling, the upcoming turn shows up "last minute" and cause you to do a hard braking or miss the turn.

Another words, if you're in wrong lane, you're going to miss it or have to brake hard to switch lanes if you're on highway on fast lane before your next turn/exit.

I've checked the GPS settings, nothing had changed so, it's not a settings issue.

Navigation do work, just have few annoying bugs. So you know.

I'm going to uninstall this map and go back to the 2021.10(?) I had before.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this Kodiak. I haven’t updated my maps yet on the bike as I haven’t ridden much. I’ll hold off on using those maps till the next update comes out.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hey all, just recently purchased an '08 US Goldwing and wondering if anyone could send me the 5.1 Firmware with instructions on how to get everything more current and up to date. I'd greatly appreciate it!
Go to post #27 here and download the file. Rename the ENTIRE file to gupdate.gcd.

Then take a blank CF card, create a new folder and name it Garmin. Next, put your newly renamed file into the Garmin folder. Take out the CF card in your navigation unit, turn key to accessory making sure no card is in it. When the "Enter" screen pops up, then stick in the new CF card with just the gupdate.gcd on it and wait. You should see a new screen image pop up and a bar on bottom that shows loading. Once it finishes, I believe it will restart. That should be it. When it restarts, press enter and let the Navi load all the way and when you check in settings, it should now say version 5.10

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, I just recently become an owner of 2006 GL1800. It is US bike but I imported it in Europe. Curent version of nav software is 4.70. I would like to install the garmin street maps for Europe. I have the 2GB CF card City Navigator North America 2013. Do you know should I update the software to 5.1 to install the European maps? And from where to download it. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If it's an American bike, you'll need an American firmware update.

Whether the European map will work or not, it's all at your own risk.

I have the latest firmware update, to the best of my knowledge, along with previous firmware and installation instructions and disclaimers.

It's all legit, just want to make sure they're provided AS IS and YOU assume responsibility for installation.

1961 - 1980 of 2012 Posts