GL1800Riders Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looking back it seems I may have updated to the US version firmware doing a forced update procedure. Someone said the only difference between the two was the lack of a french language option. Since I only speak two languages, English and bad English, this wasn't an issue. I'm guessing the 4.6 version I'm running is US as I've never seen french as an option in my nav.

EDIT:

I found the prior firmware and it is named gupdate.gcd (4.9) but the nav system info shows it as 4.6 for some reason.
Thank you for the info. I had not heard of or thought about there being a french language option on the Canadian bikes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do you know something about the firmware for the Canadian bikes ? Upto FW4.9 they have been the same for the US and Canadian bikes.
I don't know anything specific. I just prefer to err on the side of caution and try to get the correct country version to whoever needs it. I didn't know he had updated to US firmware previously, so wanted to be sure he got the right version. Since he updated already, that's not an issue now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If anyone can provide a link to just the fw 5.1 file that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hi folks, new member here. Belonged to another forum at Steve Saunders.

Just bought my 2nd GW, a 2007 with Nav, which my previous 2005 didn't have.

Map were outdated so, I started to do updates and found FW 4.9 and installed 2017 mapset.

Everything seem to work except POI search, which I expected from everything I read elsewhere online.

Then, I read here that there is FW5.1, which I CAN NOT find anywhere online.

The FW4.9 along with brand new City Navigator North America NT 2020 from Garmin gray out my ability to search completely.

Only option I get now is under "find", Honda dealership???

Reinstalled my 2017 mapset and search function returned, except for the POI search

Does this elusive FW5.1 correct the search function and/or POI issues?

Or am I searching in vain for the solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You installed a mapset that is too large for your nav. 2006 -2008 US and 2006 - 2010 Canadian navs can only handle mapsets no larger than 2gb. If you install a mapset larger than 2gb it may load but all search functions except dealers
will be dis-abled . What many poeple do is create two mapsets of 2gb each so they have all the maps when they need them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just got the new maps from Garmin (2021.10) and had to split the US into East and West to get things to work. I’ll now carry two map cards to have full coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Another thing to mention, the Honda dealers that show up in the maps is programmed directly into the Navigation unit and I am almost positive that even if you update the maps, the dealers do not get updated. The biggest problem with that is quite a few that show up are no longer in business and some.have even moved. I have encountered this a few times when on trips needing service for one reason or another. And with POI's, if you have custom maps, you can still have the nearest ones pop up but cant do a search by name. However, since most people have a smartphone, you can search on something like Google Maps and get the address. Then you can "find" the address on the Navi and save it, changing the name to the POI you were looking for. Makes it easy to find it later when needed...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got the new maps from Garmin (2021.10) and had to split the US into East and West to get things to work. I’ll now carry two map cards to have full coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Refresh my mind please? How did you split the map? Mapsourse, some other Garmin software? Can't remember since I got my 05 map working on GPSMap unit it came with.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Refresh my mind please? How did you split the map? Mapsourse, some other Garmin software? Can't remember since I got my 05 map working on GPSMap unit it came with.
I use Mapsource and pick the regions I want on each card.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Once you use Mapsource to select the regions you want to include, obviously keeping your mapset under 2gb, dont forget, you then have to unlock it or the Navi wont be able to read the data...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello forum members,
I live in Munich/Germany and I own a 2007 Navi / Airbag. Two years ago, I flashed the European software from EU 2.20 to the US 4.90, to use the new map standard.
Could someone send me the new 5.10 software please. Thanks

I use a Dutch OpenStreetMap website to create my own 1.90 GB maps. Maps for US and all other countries can be easily created there and about 10-15 minutes later, you can download the unlocked maps with the link which is sent to you. The maps are then already unlocked. If someone needs new maps, google search: Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMap

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hello forum members,
I live in Munich/Germany and I own a 2007 Navi / Airbag. Two years ago, I flashed the European software from EU 2.20 to the US 4.90, to use the new map standard.

I use a Dutch OpenStreetMap website to create my own 1.90 GB maps. Maps for US and all other countries can be easily created there and about 10-15 minutes later, you can download the unlocked maps with the link which is sent to you. The maps are then already unlocked. If someone needs new maps, google search: Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices from OpenStreetMap
Send me your email address and I'll send you the 5.1 firmware.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, the v5.1 firmware does not fix the POI search problem.
One thing that I do when I'm looking for something near me or at a distant location, is put the cursor near the place you want to search and then do a find the nearest by category.
I can send v5.1 to people that are interested. Just send me a PM with and email address.

·
Registered
135 Posts
well my cheap CF card reader bit the dust so I can't complete this project. I don't recall mapsource custom maps being locked but the maps file I got for the prior (2017) update came from a guy who knew a guy.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
well my cheap CF card reader bit the dust so I can't complete this project. I don't recall mapsource custom maps being locked but the maps file I got for the prior (2017) update came from a guy who knew a guy.
Normally, downloaded Garmin maps that can be used by Mapsource are able to be downloaded because you own a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps. Even though Mapsource can open them, they are still usually locked to a particular Garmin device and if you try to copy them and use them in another gps device, the other device wont be able to use them. You would need to unlock the mapset you created with an unlocker program that can be found on the internet.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hello forum members,

Did you get the updated FW5.10 ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just curious to why you would stick with EU firmware. Is it just a language thing? Canada had it's own firmware as well and near as I could tell it was just for french language option. Does the EU firmware work with the NT maps?

1881 - 1900 of 1937 Posts