GL1800Riders Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to update my dad's Honda Goldwing GL1800 2008 navigation software with custom downloaded maps since garmin does not provide newer maps anymore easily. I have a couple of questions.

The current firmware/Software version is 2.30, I guess it is the original one. I assume this is the european version. Is it ok to update the software directly to firmware 5.1 and will the US software update work for the european version? Also is there any possibility of bricking the navigator if the update does not install correctly.
Can someone provide the firmware 5.1 file since I have not been able to find it online. Thanks!

I planned to use Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap page to make the map packages, in some of the posts I saw that some of you have used additional software to install the mappackages to the cf cards. Are the softwares necessary?

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as I know, only difference is having French in EU version versus only English for U.S version.

If updating go amiss, you should be able to do a "hard reset" to return to original version.

I have the latest FW and have installed the latest Garmin 2021.10(?) map from OEM SD card.

Although not Goldwing specific map, it's actually a NT map made for my car's GPS, it still works EXCEPT search by name function.

Back up the original map in another CF card, install new map on another CF card with the FW.

If you need to search, install original card, save what you need to "favorites", and reinstall the new CF card. That searched place will still work in navigation with the new map.

Another words, plan ahead if you want to search for place you want to go and save them all in to map's "favorites" folder.

Since I can not send through this site, I need your email address to send it to.

IM me here with info, I will send it though email.

Others here can also do the same as well when they reply. I believe newest FW version now is 5.1(?), which improve nothing that I noticed.

No one had been able to hack the nav software to allow full search function yet. Method I mentioned is the "best" option I found so far.

BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING, ESPECIALLY REINSTALLING THE CF CARDS!!! I HAVE BENT THE PIN REINSTALLING, MAKING CARD USELESS AND CAUSE PROBLEMS. VERY DIFFICULT TO STRAIGHTEN OUT, IF AT ALL. OTHERS HAVE DONE IT TOO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, we were able to do the update and the navigation seems to work ok after firmware update to 5.1 and with maps downloaded from that garmin.streetmap.nl site. Only thing we found possibly not working after the update is that the radio station names are not displayed, just the frequency. Also the RDS radio buttons didn't seem to do anything (TA, NEWS and AF). With quick googling I found that the US possibly uses a bit different RBDS compared to the european RDS. With quick look around of menus we did not find any settings for these separately. Do you have these RDS (possibly RBDS?) buttons in the left side handle in the US version Goldwings?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, you're saying search function is working with that?

I see that these maps are for Netherlands? That will be of no use to us here in U.S.

Glad yours work. Nope, as already mentioned, we have CB functions there on the left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, you're saying search function is working with that?

I see that these maps are for Netherlands? That will be of no use to us here in U.S.

Glad yours work. Nope, as already mentioned, we have CB functions there on the left.
Well the POI search does not function properly but the address search seemed to work. You can define maps you want to download from the world so US is also possible to be downloaded. The maps are based on Openstreetmaps site which means that the maps are updated by different active persons, kind of like wikipedia for maps. I guess the server is just located in netherlands, hence the .nl..

My dad also noticed now that the TTS (text to speech) does not apparently function after update as these files were most likely not part of the gupdate file. If anyone has information how to update english TTS files to the nav would be greatly appreciated. The route guidance is still displayed in the screen so it's not really a big problem. Also this is for information for other people thinking about updating EU version to US firmware.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do have the openstreetmaps version in my files, split up to several U.S regions but, haven't tried to to see if any search functions work.

I'm basically happy with it as is. Yes, it's a hassle swapping cards to search but, it works.

Keeps me in the habit of planning ahead where I want to go.

Besides, I always carry both of the CF cards, just in case I need to search something/place while out riding.

Since I do have them backed up, I'll try loading those openstreetmaps to the card, just to verify and see if search work at all.

Thanks for your input.(y)(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes its a bit of a hassle with the CF cards. I'll possibly post a follow up after some time when there's more experience from my dad, that was the update a improvement (from EU fw 2.3 to US firmware 5.1) as the old maps were already also un-useful with new roads missing.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
An fyi... 2021.20 is now available. Not sure when it was released but I just updated my trike and my Zumo 665.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got mine installed months ago, still have no search function on my 2007 Wing.

But, I found that after loading this map, I can reinstall my old CF card with functioning map with search(2005 or so map), search before hand where I want to go, then save that as my favorite and bike will save it on the GPS.

Then, reinstall the CF card with newer updated map, you can navigate to that place by routing to that favorite place you saved off the old map.

Yes, it's a hassle and need preplanning but, at least I can navigate to where I want to go using newer map.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I do that too on occasion if I want to search a particular POI by name and then save it. I still have an official update card that I purchased from Garmin around 2015. But many times, I just find the address on my phone and then search the address, which is still possible, and then save it as the name of the POI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i have got a goldwin from 2010 year and need update the maps, but i see if necesary the latest firmware for use the maps...

Have you got the last firmware and the maps for europe? Western europe?

Regards

Can you send to my mail? The firm necesary and maps?

I have got the firmware 2.30 installed in my navi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry, no. Latest FW I have is for North America.

As for map, you'll have to buy it from Garmin or search elsewhere online. They are copy righted material you can't just redistribute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, no. Latest FW I have is for North America.

As for map, you'll have to buy it from Garmin or search elsewhere online. They are copy righted material you can't just redistribute.
And for europe have you got something? I gave got the firmware 2.30 and need update maps.

·
Registered
897 Posts
marky1991,

As Kodiak stated, we have the firmware for '06-'08 model year Goldwings that is version 5.1. These year models in North America use the compact flash cards in the NAVI unit. With this firmware version, we are able to use maps from Garmin up to the latest released versions. We don't have access to anything for Canada or Europe. There have been other users that have used this firmware and then sourced the maps from other places, but you would have to talk with them about that. There are a few things that don't work on our systems now (search by POI, for instance) but we adjust to that. We can still do a search by address so we look up the location and put the address in the GPS and save it under a name.

Sorry it that's not more helpful to you. There is a difference in firmware and maps for different countries so you'll have to find one that works for European Goldwings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, yesterday i update the firmware to the version 4.90, the map works, but the letters and voice are in english, can be downgroade to a firmware for EU update 2.9?

I need to changue the text and voices to spanish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
marky1991,
when you buy the updated maps from garmin for your wing, the updated firmware for your unit is on the sd card.. instructions from garmin are sent with the sd card about how to update the firmware on the bike

1901 - 1920 of 1937 Posts