GL1800Riders Forums banner

1921 - 1937 of 1937 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, but now I have firmware 4.90, with the language in English,

Could I downgrade or upgrade to the European firmware version?

I need to recover the texts and the voices in Spanish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, yesterday i update the firmware to the version 4.90, the map works, but the letters and voice are in english, can be downgroade to a firmware for EU update 2.9?

I need to changue the text and voices to spanish.
May have to do a reset of GPS to revert back to original default firmware.

You can try to install EU FW over what you got and see but, no guarantee it will work.

Reset is a 2 man process.

To reset, you'll need to remove screws holding outer cover, I think there were 5 of them, then carefully open to have access to GPS unit.

Once accessible, you'll see a very small pin hole on top left. Insert non-metallic object, such as toothpick and push the switch while powering up. Release once welcome screen come up.

That "should" reset back to default and you can install the EU FW as normal. You "should" retain the map that were installed.

As with all FW or any software update, perform them at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
By going to the 4.90 firmware, you jumped to a different version. In order to go to the EU 2.90, IIRC. you will have to do a master reset of the Nav unit using the reset switch on the Nav in the trunk. I have seen this mentioned after Canadian versions were updated from 2.xx over to 4.xx. I will try to find more info if I can and post it. That reset switch is easily broken if you press too hard so be careful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe this contain reset procedures.

Nav reset.

Before touching the navi system be sure to ground yourself to the bike.

You need two people to do this.

1 Ignition OFF

2 Open trunk

3 Open cover on left side of navi box

4 Eject the old CF card

5 Unscrew the navi box, five screws. Use two screws to temporarily fix the box back to the trunk wall. Do NOT disconnect any of the connectors.

6 Press and hold the reset switch inside the small hole in top of the navi box, use the point of a regular toothpick.

7 Insert new CF card in to slot but do not engage pins.

8 Turn ignition switch to ACC.

9 Watch the screen, when the sunrise over the earth screen appears push the new CF card firmly home (see WARNING below). YOU ARE STILL PRESSING THE RESET SWITCH.

10 After a bit you will see “Holding…… appear at the bottom of the screen. Followed by “Loader” and then “Updating from card”

11 Once the Updating message appears you can release the reset switch.

12 After a while the entry screen will appear, takes a while.

13 Press ENTER and go to system info to verify the new version is installed.

14 Replace the navi box as it was.

You must not turn off the ignition or remove the CF card while updating is in progress. You must not release the reset button between when you first press it and the updating message appears.

This is why I recommend fixing the box with two screws, if it is floating around it is very difficult to keep the reset switch pushed and insert the new card.

15 Turn off ignition.

WARNING I have heard reports that people have had trouble with pins breaking off. You need to be especially careful that the card is in the correct way and is pushed in firmly but without excessive force. I myself have not had any problems, except that I didn't get the card properly latched in the first time and it vibrated out after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! My first post here.

Just read tons of pages on different sites and forums to learn how to upgrade FW and maps in my 07 GW. I want to share everyone my experience and what i found to hep if possible.

I have Canadian version with english and french language in options, i did not wanted to loose french language since i live in Quebec. French names and places sounds so weird in english!

So what i have done, i removed CF card from Nav unit in the trunk, connected it to my PC, backed it up. then deleted gmapsupp file from the CF card.

Went to garmin openstreetmap.nl selected my country-province, downloaded the gmapsupp.zip, unzipped it then copied it into the CF card.

THAT'S ALL. everything works, Maps are up to date with alot more details.

I kept FW2.1, I did not upgraded it.

I short terms, what works well, don't touch it!

Thanx all!

Hope it's gonna help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
EVERYTHING WORKS?

Are you able to conduct search by name, POI and other searches we're having issues with here in U.S version?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I tried helping a Canadian buddy upgrade his 2009. The Canadian 2009 and 2010 Navis also use the CompactFlash cards and also suffer from the 2gb limit. IIRC, he had 2.30 or 2.70 firmware but was definitely newer than 2.10. I was able to make a card with the updated maps with updated gmapsupp.img but kept it under the 2gb size. His unit would not read the newer maps at all. Only the base maps showed up. We popped his older factory card back in and it worked just fine so I know he didnt have any bent pins. In order for his to use the newer maps, his firmware needs to be updated. I'm not sure how yours with 2.10 firmware is able to read the newer NT maps. But if that's the case, it may be good news for him as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried helping a Canadian buddy upgrade his 2009. The Canadian 2009 and 2010 Navis also use the CompactFlash cards and also suffer from the 2gb limit. IIRC, he had 2.30 or 2.70 firmware but was definitely newer than 2.10. I was able to make a card with the updated maps with updated gmapsupp.img but kept it under the 2gb size. His unit would not read the newer maps at all. Only the base maps showed up. We popped his older factory card back in and it worked just fine so I know he didnt have any bent pins. In order for his to use the newer maps, his firmware needs to be updated. I'm not sure how yours with 2.10 firmware is able to read the newer NT maps. But if that's the case, it may be good news for him as well.
I have selected generic routable at openstreetmaps.nl

·
Registered
867 Posts
EVERYTHING WORKS?

Are you able to conduct search by name, POI and other searches we're having issues with here in U.S version?

He is not using the garmin mapset . He is using openstreetmaps .

·
Registered
867 Posts
Interestingly enough, Garmin uses openstreetmap which makes me think that Garmin mapsets and openstreet mapsets should be one and the same...

Where are you getting that information from ? I don't think Garmin is using openstreetmaps for their mapsets.
I think it is just that openstreetmaps will work on Garmin devices.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Where are you getting that information from ? I don't think Garmin is using openstreetmaps for their mapsets.
I think it is just that openstreetmaps will work on Garmin devices.
Click on the link and scroll down. Garmin is listed under Geodata Software and Services.
If it's on the internet, it must be true, right, LOL!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used both, none of them had POI search function for me with maps.

I must be missing something here...?

I did notice that he is NOT using U.S maps, maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
867 Posts
pwhoever

I conceed that they do claim Garmin uses their data. But that doesn't mean that Garmin generate their maps from them.
Regardless there is something different between the two maps. It would be nice to know what. Because as far as I can tell there is some code or flag in the Garmin mapset that stops the POI searches.

Reactions: pwhoever
1921 - 1937 of 1937 Posts