GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than use Excites e-mail program on our travel puter I have heard about g-mail from google. Has anyone tried this ? Or use it ? I read it's a free account, I was considering it. Yes ? No ? Opinions ?......... :)

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Never heard of G-Mail. I have used Yahoo mail for over 10 years now. It's free and the email stays on their server so I dont get a virus, unless I download an attachment. I travel all over the country and can check my email anywhere there is an internet connection.

www.yahoo.com click on mail and sign up....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use Yahoo mail too. Have been for a long time.

Dep

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We use Hotmail.com with our laptop. It works real well when we are on the road & it's free. You just have to be creative when you sign up for an email address.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Use it. Tons of storage. Price is right. Beats Yahoo, hotmail, etc.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have a Gmail account but don't really like it as I prefer Outlook because of its capabilities.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Keghead said:
I have a Gmail account but don't really like it as I prefer Outlook because of its capabilities.
Gmail can be used with Outlook or Mozilla and operate like any other pop account, except they give you multi-gigabytes of free storage so that you can set it to archive your viewed emails rather than delete them. The purpose of this is so that you can use Google's search engine to instantly find old emails. I use this a lot and no longer file any emails for future reference. Google finds them easily. Also, Gmail allows rather large attachments which is very useful for emailing photos and videos of your trips.

Gmail also has a webmail interface which is better than the others by far. This ideal for checking your email on the road since you can use any computer.

Gmail also has a calendar which you can give rights to people to view. This is good for group events because not only can one calendar be viewed by many, a number of people's personal calendars can be merged similar to that offered by some expensive and complicated programs such as Microsoft Exchange.

So Gmail has best of all worlds. Email client access, good webmail interface, and priced for Goldwingers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Gmail

I have been using Gmail for over two years -- plus or minus. I got in early in the Beta testing, when there were a very limited number of "invites". I have used it for my employee email accounts since April of 2005. I bet I have over 20 Gmail addresses.

In the past I have used hotmail, yahoo, and mail coming straight through the net from providers -- Cox and Earthlink. All had more limitations than Gmail.

I love Gmail. It has saved my butt a couple of times when a PC has crashed and emails were lost.

I have always used it integrated with Outlook. I now use it with my Treo and Outlook.

Yeah, there are always challenges, but this is better than anything else I have used. I get less spam, can save more old emails, forward emails, use it online, on my phone, or in Outlook.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
Pay close attention to the privacy statement.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/03 ... l_privacy/

"The contents of your Gmail account also are stored and maintained on Google servers in order to provide the service. Indeed, residual copies of email may remain on our systems, even after you have deleted them from your mailbox or after the termination of your account."

"While Google brags that no humans will read your emails, the entire Gmail program will involve extensive automated profiling of you as an individual. Google will be sharing the non-identifiable portions of your profile with anyone they choose. If the ownership of Google changes, or there is a merger, the entire personally-identifiable profile will be available to the new owners or partners."

http://news.com.com/Does+Gmail+breach+w ... 05554.html

In a letter sent to California Attorney General Bill Lockyer on Monday, the Electronic Privacy Information Center argued that Gmail must be shut down because it "represents an unprecedented invasion into the sanctity of private communications." Gmail provides one gigabyte of Web-based mail storage in exchange for context-sensitive advertising that appears on the right side of the screen.

"We believe that Gmail violates California's wiretapping laws, subjecting both Google and Gmail users to criminal and civil penalties," said the letter, also signed by the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse and the World Privacy Forum. "Accordingly, we respectfully request that your office investigate the Gmail service."

·
Registered
525 Posts
cycledude said:
whats the idea behind needing an invitation to use Gmail ?
I think one reason is that it eliminates the need for tech support. It's free and friends are helping friends. I have set up several accounts for people I do business with.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If I am worried about privacy then I think email is the wrong medium regardless of who the provider is. I am not kidding myself that my messages are not hackable either by insiders or outsiders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like it - it seems much faster than Yahoo and Hotmail accounts I've had over the years. I got in fairly early in the beta stages and was very impressed with the spam filtering. I really like the recently added calendar and spreadsheet features. The Google chat is adequate, hopefully that will improve over time.

Jim
:D

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
gpick said:
If I am worried about privacy then I think email is the wrong medium regardless of who the provider is. I am not kidding myself that my messages are not hackable either by insiders or outsiders.
It may be no big deal, but just be aware that Big Brother monitors both Gmail accounts and Google searches.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I asked is because in my laptop there is a photo editing program called Picassa. And when it came to e-mailing a photo, to make it easyier for my wife one of the options was g-mail. After posting the question to you all I tried to sign up, but then read the how, what and why etc. So I ended up signing up with picassa to send photo's. It's
right in the program so it's a breeze. Thanks for all of your help and assistance ? I appreciate it. Hope I didn't start anything........ :)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Mike,
Avoid Hotmail, it can be problematic for attachments and photos.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I notice that the support notifications of posting is thru G-mail....

[email protected]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Picasa is excellent for photos and now with a couple extra clicks you can publish to a web album. It is far easier and more elegant than Photobucket, for example. The only problem I have had with it is that when I try to link an img on a forum the photo often does not appear. I think this is probably because I didn't set it up as a public album. But, I have found Google fixes things like this fairly quickly. They have some very bright and motivated people there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts