GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mounted a G709 again before trip south and ran this one at 32psi at 7500 miles( 3500 hardazz twisties) tire is great looking. Checked tire temps on hot days and found it in ball park , was concerned about heat build up . No worries. Stuck even better than prevoius 34, 36, 38 psi tires. I have a couple of 32's left but this is more than normal for me on this trip. Next one will be tested at 30 psi. Ride at 32 is awesome by the way!! 30 will be smoother but may generate heat and that's not good!! but 32 worked ou great. Yesterday was a over a 1000 mile day on slab tankful to tankful almost all day in 80 degree weather , well above speed limit and tire ran way cooler than when I was in twisties FYI.:thumbup: At 32 psi I can stop the big girl wa better even with OEM brake pads than ever before. As soon as I get real pads on there I am betting I can lift rear off ground or at least take spring tension out of rear:nojoke:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks Rail. Good information. I would have never thought that the lower pressure would serve you well in the twisties. I would think that each individual would have to experiment to see if their style of riding would produce the same even tire wear. You know, some one that rides slab 75% of the time versus someone who rides twisties 75% of the time; then yo have the spirited riding aspect of it. Still, good info worth considering.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
nice to know that with stock front end might want to lower pressure to see if i get better ride.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rail. Good information. I would have never thought that the lower pressure would serve you well in the twisties. I would think that each individual would have to experiment to see if their style of riding would produce the same even tire wear. You know, some one that rides slab 75% of the time versus someone who rides twisties 75% of the time; then yo have the spirited riding aspect of it. Still, good info worth considering.
I also guessed that 32 psi in twisties was not going to work. But it sure did. I could not agree more about different styles and each person should play around and find what works for them where and how. I believe that stiff sided sidewalls on the 709 plays a the biggest part to my sucsess with the low psi. And good tire temps.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Yay... :thumbup: for NOT following the
"more pressure is better herd".

+1 on NOT EVER over inflating a front Bridgestone
... it serves no purpose other than to reduce handling
... create a harsher ride
and make the bike more "squirrely" when stopping.

Over inflating does NOTHING to
.. reduce the wobble
.. reduce the cupping
.. make the tire last longer

34-35 is Normal for me
.. when I'm not a Long XC ride I'll let it go down to 32-34

If you have an IR heat gun
..after a VERY spirited ride, front tire temp should be
about 105 degrees F according to the now silent "great one".
:)
... much hotter and the cold inflation pressure (65F) is too low
... much colder and the cold inflation (65F) pressure is too high

flame suit on..
(waiting until the "but my dealer said" riders chime in)

Dennis

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I rode Rails wing when he took the Sunny for a test ride. It handled great @ 32psi. But I do have a question. With having the steering stabilizer on your wing (which I thought was sweet). Do you think there would be much difference on a wing that didn't have a steering stabilizer on it running 32psi?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yay... :thumbup: for NOT following the
"more pressure is better herd".

+1 on NOT EVER over inflating a front Bridgestone
... it serves no purpose other than to reduce handling
... create a harsher ride
and make the bike more "squirrely" when stopping.

.. reduce the wobble
.. reduce the cupping

Dennis
+2 I'm not sure I would go all the way down to 32, but you can feel the grip go away when you head up toward 40 or 42

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode Rails wing when he took the Sunny for a test ride. It handled great @ 32psi. But I do have a question. With having the steering stabilizer on your wing (which I thought was sweet). Do you think there would be much difference on a wing that didn't have a steering stabilizer on it running 32psi?
Never gave it much thought ,,,,,, I thinkmi wpupd have noticed a bad feeling from front because I play with dampener a lot and when you rode it that day it was all the way down. There is no wiggling what so ever even under full braking and full throttle acceleration out of low speed corners. So my answer is it makes no difference. Now stop make me think, I got t go back to work Monday and I need crying time ;)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Well one thing I have over you is I did my crying over work last week. So now its back to the ho-hum life of 4am till 4pm Monday to Friday :-:)-:)-:)-(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
.. reduce the wobble
.. reduce the cupping

flame suit on..

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Sorry Dennis
But I don't agree.
At 36 lbs I started to get cupping
Since upping to 38-39, no more cupping
But I think I am giving up some grip.
Maybe I'll try something like 34
But I have my doubts.
Paul

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I mounted a G709 again before trip south and ran this one at 32psi at 7500 miles( 3500 hardazz twisties) tire is great looking. Checked tire temps on hot days and found it in ball park , was concerned about heat build up . No worries. Stuck even better than prevoius 34, 36, 38 psi tires. I have a couple of 32's left but this is more than normal for me on this trip. Next one will be tested at 30 psi. Ride at 32 is awesome by the way!! 30 will be smoother but may generate heat and that's not good!! but 32 worked ou great. Yesterday was a over a 1000 mile day on slab tankful to tankful almost all day in 80 degree weather , well above speed limit and tire ran way cooler than when I was in twisties FYI.:thumbup: At 32 psi I can stop the big girl wa better even with OEM brake pads than ever before. As soon as I get real pads on there I am betting I can lift rear off ground or at least take spring tension out of rear:nojoke:
Hey Rail,

To start with my Cobras seem to like 38 the best, I've had them all over the scale...

Now that being said you may not remember I did a pressure test with one of those dangerous and deadly D-250s (ya know the ones that will make you crash and burn, now where have I heard that before???) I dropped the pressure two pounds at a time and couldn't make it push until I got down to 25 psi, then I knew where my sweet spot was and believe me I pushed it hard too, I suspect you will find you can go a lot lower than the 32 psi with your 709 without hurting it any at all, as you were doing just keep a close check on your temperatures and psi, I would suggest that you only use these lower pressures wile playing in the twisties and bring the pressures back up wile back on the highway riding...

Ole yeah, the above mention D-250 lasted another 8,000+ miles before I change it out for a Cobra with no ill effects at all that could be found outside or inside... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Man I hope the thread doesn't turn into a peeing contest!!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Lets just stick with the tried and true method of crash and burn!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also guessed that 32 psi in twisties was not going to work. But it sure did. I could not agree more about different styles and each person should play around and find what works for them where and how. I believe that stiff sided sidewalls on the 709 plays a the biggest part to my sucsess with the low psi. And good tire temps.
Hi Rail, glad you made back home to good ol' WI safe n' sound! Looks like you've lost your drawl already too :wink:!

I had to make a run to the quickee trip this evening. Before I left I dug out my "touchy" digital pressure guage and tried your reported 32 in my G709. It is easier to use this gauge on my billet stems than with the PITA floppy OEM stems so I think I'm getting accurate readings. Found out my stick gauge seems to be registering 2 psi high, so I guess I was really running 38 up front and 34 in the Kumho out back. (I know, my bad...)

Anyway on the way in I rode the main drag 2-lane posted at 45 that's pretty rough, lots of cracks & patches etc. With the Progressive springs, 32 works real well. Helps reduce much of the choppiness riding solo. On the way back I took the scenic drive that has mostly sweepers, a couple diminishing radius curves and one fairly tight twistie. The twistie is posted at 30 and I went through it at a pretty good clip around 40-ish. Not super duper I know but I don't ride looking for places to drag my pegs either if you know what I mean. Front end felt real good and no push. The Kumho likes 32 better than 34, the lower speed counter steer is like gone now. Maybe dropping the front pressure helped that some too I dunno.

Who knows, maybe I'll actually be able wear the nibs off the outer front tire tread this time!? :lol: But the real bottom line here for me is that my Wing rides and handles WAY better than it did on E3's.

So thank's for sharing this, works for me too! :thumbup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Regarding Lower Pressure

Hi Guys,

Look at my Signature I have been running 34PSI on my G709 for 2 Years now and after above report I may even go lower now.

Cheers,

Ron

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
.. reduce the wobble
.. reduce the cupping

flame suit on..

Dennis..

Sorry Dennis
But I don't agree.
At 36 lbs I started to get cupping
Since upping to 38-39, no more cupping
But I think I am giving up some grip.
Maybe I'll try something like 34
But I have my doubts.
Paul
... cupping is caused by the inadequate front
OEM suspension. The tire is being asked to do the
work the suspension should be doing,
so it squishes and scrubs and cups ..
... better springs and disable AD is the fix
for cupping.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. I just got back from a 7k mile trip and my G709 that I ran at 38psi is just beginning to show signs of cupping. The tire tread is about 1/2 gone in the center 3-4/32. Edges are around 4-5/32.

At similar mileage, the Avon Cobras I had wore much better than the Stones at 38psi. To bad I can't seem to buy an Avon that doesn't fail or begin to separate. :?

I have a full Traxxion setup. I was running "heavy" with about 455lbs of riders/gear. Once warmed up, tire pressure typically ran between 42 and 45 running on the slab.

I'll continue to play around with the pressures to see what happens but it is good to hear of your experience at 32psi. Gives me quite a range to play with. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts