GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know to each his own but.....Damn I hate to run into large groups of motorcycles on a "ride". Getting behind one on a curvy two lane is worse than being stuck behind a caravan of RVs towing cars. They ride so close together there is little room to pass so cars pile up behind making it even harder to get around 'em, what a PITA.

There is no good answer other than being an a$$ and busting through the group. I must have run into a half dozen or more large MC rides this weekend, some were so large it would take 4 or 5 passing opportunities, after I had worked my way through the traffic jam behind them, to make it all the way through.

As stated earlier, to each his own but I truly fail to see the attraction, if there were a hell it would be stuck in the middle of a large ride riding forever and ever. I'd rather eat a pistol.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I couldn't agree more. They also feel that it is OK to dive below the speed limit and have no consideration for the string of cars (and other bikes) that stack up behind them.

Jeff...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I hear ya Bubba. Ride solo 99% and it sux to roll around a corner on your favorite twisty to run into a pirate flotilla creeping along on their potato cannons.

Don't understand the need to feel you have to be in a big group to have a good time on a motorcycle, seem quite the opposite to me.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I too hate to ride with impatient and rude drivers/riders on the road. :thumbup:

I know to each his own but.....Damn I hate to run into large groups of motorcycles on a "ride". Getting behind one on a curvy two lane is worse than being stuck behind a caravan of RVs towing cars. They ride so close together there is little room to pass so cars pile up behind making it even harder to get around 'em, what a PITA.

There is no good answer other than being an a$$ and busting through the group. I must have run into a half dozen or more large MC rides this weekend, some were so large it would take 4 or 5 passing opportunities, after I had worked my way through the traffic jam behind them, to make it all the way through.

As stated earlier, to each his own but I truly fail to see the attraction, if there were a hell it would be stuck in the middle of a large ride riding forever and ever. I'd rather eat a pistol.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I guess I am easy going.

They do not bother me. I will ride along for a bit and let them entertain me. I will watch them, and see who is about to run into the other one.

Then if I am impatient, I will just pull off somewhere and take a break. Let them go.

I for sure am not going to leap frog through them. One of them might zig when they should zag or something like that.

You might scare one of them:lol:

I will just let them go. Take a break. Where I am going will still be there, and I am never going anywhere specific anyway, might decide to just go that way. As long as I find home by dark, it is cool.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I can certainly relate and have, for the most part, solved that problem. I spend the vast majority of my time riding either on obscure good roads or on the well-known good roads, early before the gawkers get there.

But every now and then I still get caught behind a group.

I'll never forget the time a few years back when I came upon a long line of cars going slow. When I finally worked by way to the front, I saw what was holding them up :shock: a line of v-twin cruisers types. :roll:

If your skill set or proclivity requires you to go so slow that you're holding up cages, you may want to get another hobby. :x

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
A LARGE GROUP of motorcycle riders out for a enjoyable, leisurely ride @ the posted speed limit?:thumbup:
I can bet they wern't Wing riders. When's the last time anyone's seen a gaggle of Wings??:shrug:
"BUSTIN' THROUGH A GROUP is not only a bad idea, it could be hazerdous to your health.
Much better to wait 'til the road opens up, twist the wick & let'er rip.
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Don't have to worry bout that. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was behind a group last month who occupied both lanes of the climbing lane area when they got to one, ensuring that no one could pass them. Just plain rude, if you ask me. The last thing I want is someone who wants to go faster following me. Some seem to enjoy that, though. :shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well you have to look at both sides of it.

A group ride is simply a easy fun ride, and the pace is geared to the least experienced riders. There is the traffic element too, that keeps you slowed down some. There are intersections and side roads and many things to consider.

They are just out to enjoy the day. And have as much right to that as anyone does.

It is a different style ride, and it is conducive to a slower pace. Even if you do stay 5 mph over the speed limit, someone will not. It is what it is.

I grew tired of baby sitting so no longer do them.

But I do give them courtesy, and will not leap frog up through the ranks.

That to me is a bit dangerous.

So I go another direction or stop and get a candy bar, or something.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too hate to ride with impatient and rude drivers/riders on the road. :thumbup:
Damn good thing you are in VA because you wouldn't like having me on your roads :).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well. If you are a rude and impatient driver/rider, then you would be in very good company in Northern VA. I deal with folks like that ALL the time over here. :-(

I've even seen folks in a real hurry that didn't even know where they were going....they were just in a hurry to get lost I guess. :roll:

Damn good thing you are in VA because you wouldn't like having me on your roads :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I am easy going.

They do not bother me. I will ride along for a bit and let them entertain me. I will watch them, and see who is about to run into the other one.

Then if I am impatient, I will just pull off somewhere and take a break. Let them go.

I for sure am not going to leap frog through them. One of them might zig when they should zag or something like that.

You might scare one of them:lol:

I will just let them go. Take a break. Where I am going will still be there, and I am never going anywhere specific anyway, might decide to just go that way. As long as I find home by dark, it is cool.
Great plan.....if you are just riding around. While I'm not always on the clock, I'm seldom just riding, most of the time I'm going somewhere and most of the time it is a fair piece away with a time constraint. That's not the kind of riding for everyone but it is what I enjoy. I'm not much for going in circles unless they are big ones :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. If you are a rude and impatient driver/rider, then you would be in very good company in Northern VA. I deal with folks like that ALL the time over here. :-(

I've even seen folks in a real hurry that didn't even know where they were going....they were just in a hurry to get lost I guess. :roll:
I must be a Virginian, in a hurry to get lost....that's my new motto :).

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Recently, with Morph's WV adventure, a good sized group of Winger's planned to cross WV East to West and back. I did not attentd and have not heard much about it, but wonder if they backed-up traffic any. Somehow, with visions of giant hot dogs dancing in their heads, I think not.

prs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone thought if may be a charity ride for a fallen biker,or a ride for a vary sick friend/family member. Memo to self no stink-in memorial for me when some D%&n cage makes that left turn that didn't see me, on ya and the cancer they found in my wife last month and bill's are piling up. Come on people these rides are mostly for us we have all been in one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts