GL1800Riders Forums banner

Gap Between Front of Seat and Shelter 06 Wing

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  JJR 
#1 ·
I'm the second owner and purchased the 06 Wing with 1200 miles on it. When I got the bike I noticed that there was a gap of around 1/2" between the front of the seat and the shelter.

I can look down and see that the 2 white tabs are under the shelter. Did some bikes just come like this? i did try removing the seat and reinstalling it with no luck, as the gap is still there. I believe that the hook under the seat it attaching to the receiving piece that is mounted on the plastic gas tank under the seat. Also all the bolt holes line up for the rear mounting handles.

Any ideas?

TIA,
John

#3 ·
PunkinWing said:
Those white tabs go under the edge of the shelter. Tilt the seat forward and engage those tabs first when you install the seat!
Me thinks I have done that as I can look through the gap and see that the taps are under the shelter?

If I left the seat like that would that gap cause any harm when the bike got wet?

John

#4 ·
JJR said:
PunkinWing said:
Those white tabs go under the edge of the shelter. Tilt the seat forward and engage those tabs first when you install the seat!
Me thinks I have done that as I can look through the gap and see that the taps are under the shelter?

If I left the seat like that would that gap cause any harm when the bike got wet?

John
Nah... Wouldnt worry about it, bikes are designed to get wet!! The tabs could rub the paint off though.

#5 ·
gap

I have the same thing on my bike. I have tried everything I can think of to close it up including shaving one side of the rubber bushings at the seat bolts to try to slide it more forward in the cups on the seat pan but no luck. I had the wing-soft mod and that seem to make it a little worse. The material seemed tighter and bowed the front of the seat up more. I made some plastic shims as wide as the front tabs and about half an inch longer and 1/8 to3/16" thick and took some small wire ties and attached them to the tops of each tab. This pulled the front of the seat down farther and helped to close up the gap some.

#6 ·
JJR said:
I'm the second owner... I noticed that there was a gap of around 1/2" between the front of the seat and the shelter. ... Any ideas?
John
Was the first guy short?

One possibility:
If too much foam was removed from the bottom of the seat while making it lower for a shorter rider it WILL create a gap right where you describe.

When doing mine, after I got the seat "just right" I had a gap there.
It was an easy fix.
I took the seat apart again and without adding any foam to the bottom of the seat (counter productive for riding) I just added some back into that front part of the seat that you are describing.

Now my seat is lower and the gap is closed.

hope that helps ...

Dennis

#7 ·
PunkinWing said:
JJR said:
PunkinWing said:

John
Nah... Wouldnt worry about it, bikes are designed to get wet!! The tabs could rub the paint off though.
The tabs are under the shelter where they belong, I can slide the seat in correctly and it fits nice but when I line the rear handle bolts up it moves the seat back again. The gap it not excessivly huge but its there. I guess the plus side is that I do not have to worry about the seat rubbing the pain on the shelter. Perhaps over time the front of the seat will lay down and cover it.

Also I can easily slide the seat cover over the seat with the bike is washed. Now all I need is the tons of salt to be washed off the street and warmer weather :lol:

John

#9 ·
Lets see........
Front end wobble.......... :(
Cupping tires............... :(
Electrical component failure.......... :(
Plus all the other problems people seem to have ............. :(

Seems to me that a little space between the front of the seat and the shelter would be nothing to worry about. :wink:
There must be something you could tuck in there.....
Money?
Maps?
Snacks?
Gloves?

#10 ·
R.K. MA.3 George said:
Lets see........
Front end wobble.......... :(
Cupping tires............... :(
Electrical component failure.......... :(
Plus all the other problems people seem to have ............. :(

Seems to me that a little space between the front of the seat and the shelter would be nothing to worry about. :wink:
There must be something you could tuck in there.....
Money?
Maps?
Snacks?
Gloves?
Yup but I would not want to mention it online :twisted:

John

#11 ·
wingwing said:
JJR said:
I'm the second owner... I noticed that there was a gap of around 1/2" between the front of the seat and the shelter. ... Any ideas?
John
Was the first guy short?

One possibility:
If too much foam was removed from the bottom of the seat while making it lower for a shorter rider it WILL create a gap right where you describe.

When doing mine, after I got the seat "just right" I had a gap there.
It was an easy fix.
I took the seat apart again and without adding any foam to the bottom of the seat (counter productive for riding) I just added some back into that front part of the seat that you are describing.

Now my seat is lower and the gap is closed.

hope that helps ...

Dennis
Stock seat

#12 ·
By your first post you do not seem to be all that confident your big main center seat hook is actually under its frame mounted loop. Before you de-staple or take other such drastic measures, go back and remove the seat one more time. Inspect that frame mounted loop. Is it bent dwon in the center or nice and straight across the top? If its bent downward in the center, then you have to bend it back up so its staright across the top and make certain there is enough of a gap under it to allow you to slip that larger center tab of the seat under it. When you install the seat, you hold the rear section a bit high with your right hand as you stand on the left side of the bike. Your left hand fingers can be on the top of that frame mounted loop so that you can for sure feel and verify that the larger seat hook is actually going under it as you begin to push the seat forward. That hook should pass under the loop enough to prevent the seat's front end from raising up even before the top shelter tabs to go under the lip of the top shelter - verify that too. Those little foreward tabs are not strong enough to properly hold the seat down, make sure the larger hook is securely under the loop. Another symptom of that center hook being on top of its loop instead of under it is that your "boys" are really getting in a bind against the seat when you ride. I've helped several folks work on their bikes and very often that large loop is bent down and the main seat hook has just been riding up on top of it. Makes a real comfort difference

prs

#14 ·
In one of Freds videos, he talks about not installing that black seat support (called shelter setting stay in the manual) backwards. Now I don't even know if that is possible, but he cautions against it in his video. I think that might cause something like this to happen.

Bill in da U.P.

#15 ·
Pigeon Roost said:
By your first post you do not seem to be all that confident your big main center seat hook is actually under its frame mounted loop. Before you de-staple or take other such drastic measures, go back and remove the seat one more time. Inspect that frame mounted loop. Is it bent dwon in the center or nice and straight across the top? If its bent downward in the center, then you have to bend it back up so its staright across the top and make certain there is enough of a gap under it to allow you to slip that larger center tab of the seat under it. When you install the seat, you hold the rear section a bit high with your right hand as you stand on the left side of the bike. Your left hand fingers can be on the top of that frame mounted loop so that you can for sure feel and verify that the larger seat hook is actually going under it as you begin to push the seat forward. That hook should pass under the loop enough to prevent the seat's front end from raising up even before the top shelter tabs to go under the lip of the top shelter - verify that too. Those little foreward tabs are not strong enough to properly hold the seat down, make sure the larger hook is securely under the loop. Another symptom of that center hook being on top of its loop instead of under it is that your "boys" are really getting in a bind against the seat when you ride. I've helped several folks work on their bikes and very often that large loop is bent down and the main seat hook has just been riding up on top of it. Makes a real comfort difference

prs
Who me? The hook has nothing to do with it, I can push the seat up correctly but whe I line up the bolt holes the seat moves back some esposing the gap. It came that way from the factory. I might lay down and cover the gap on its own after a few thousand miles. The part on the gas tank looks fine and nothing is bent.

At this point I'm not worried about it.

Thanks all

#16 ·
I had a similiar problem with my 05. As I remember my dealer found the problem was where the top shelter fit on the side bolts. He readjusted them and it has fit fine since. I think you'll find the seat is where it belongs. It's the top shelter that is in the wrong position. Let me know how you come out.

#18 ·
[quote="JJR[/quote]
Who me? The hook has nothing to do with it, I can push the seat up correctly but whe I line up the bolt holes the seat moves back some esposing the gap. It came that way from the factory. I might lay down and cover the gap on its own after a few thousand miles. The part on the gas tank looks fine and nothing is bent.

At this point I'm not worried about it.

Thanks all[/quote]

In the top post JJR said: : "I believe that the hook under the seat it attaching to the receiving piece that is mounted on the plastic gas tank under the seat. " I must have been mistaken when I assumed the work "believe" meant you were not certain; my bad. I also assumed your mention of "the hook" may have signaled that you did think that part was significant to the problem ( I agree), but assuming can be dangerous. My bad again.

prs

#19 ·
Mine fit closer when I first got it. Now I too have a gap.. I ain't worring about it, and I have had my seat off several times, but got it back on correctly. I think that they just change shape after you sit on them a while. Oh BTW I weigh 250 pounds......that might be why it's deforming a bit 8)

#20 ·
steve s said:
Mine fit closer when I first got it. Now I too have a gap.. I ain't worring about it, and I have had my seat off several times, but got it back on correctly. I think that they just change shape after you sit on them a while. Oh BTW I weigh 250 pounds......that might be why it's deforming a bit 8)
Same here, sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making (that was a joke :lol: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.