GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back I saw a post that had to do with a device that you could hook to your headlight high beam that would open your garage door. I did a search and all I came up with was the one that is part of an alarm system made by Gorilla. Also could anyone tell me about a company referred to as "EC" in some of the posts. I think it stands for Electrical Connection.

Can anyone point me in the right direction????

Thanks
Dick

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those were the two I needed!!!

Thanks much guys

Dick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Just an FYI: I'm at the office today to transfer our internet connection to a new ISP, re-configure the existing network and install some new servers.

My sites will be down intermittently today for a bit, but should be stable again in an hour or two.

The e-mail server should be re-routed and stable again by then as well.

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
BigD,

I have a couple of Jon's Gizmo's as you call it. They work great, reasonably priced and service that is unparalleled.

Bulldog

·
Registered
22 Posts
A devise called the BIGDO (binary garage door opener) is put out by a company called motofx www.motofx.com .

There product has been reviewed in several motorcycle mags & publications. All the reviews have been positive. The company also has 24/7 customer service.

Yes, I have the product installed on a bike and it works. Can you save money by keeping your opener in your pocket? Of course. Can you improvise with something else? Of course. You're either willing to pay the money for the convenience or you're not.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take that back. Jon does call them gadgets. I have a suggestion for Jon maybe we should call them garage door modulators :lol: . Anyway, the device is a great idea and a friend of mine had asked about it.

Great site Jon my hat is off to anyone who can do "those electrical things" because it sure is not me

Dick

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Pasadenajim,

Keep in mind that the MotoFX unit is a BINARY transmitter only. That means it will not work with a newer, digital opener that uses "code-hopping" technology unless you also buy their binary receiver and wire it to your opener in parallel with your normal wall switch. In addition, their output wiring is pretty small and not too easy to work with.

I don't care which style of opener you choose, I just want everyone to know what technology their device uses and a possible limitation.

Everytime this subject gets posted, we'll get a bunch of opener installation locations, buttons that were wired to the units, PTT buttons being used, etc. In my opinion, there's no wrong way to do this - as Bulldog so aptly put it: "If you like it, I love it"

I put the instructions, schematics and material sources on the website so everyone could make one of these if they wanted. There are many more ways to wire it up: PTT switch, turn signal initiate, turn signal cancel button, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Garage door opener

I just use one of those "keychain" programmable openers from Sears-somewhere around 20.00 or so I think.

It's kept in my left fairing pocket (or it can be velcroed somewhere more convenient and removed anytime). I have to do a 180 and bcak up into my garage anway so it's not inconvenient to me.

No wiring, no fuses, no nuttin'.....simplicity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts