GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have a generic schematic of one of those garage door openers thingies that you wire into your high beam switch. It goes something like this:

on-board relay which opens and closes contact for 2 seconds on 2 wires on the Autoswitch. These 2 wires then connect inside your existing garage door RF remote opener/controller. The 2 wires connect inside on the PC board of your opener using a small soldering pencil and a bit of electronic solder. The wires exit the controller via small hole existing on the controller or a hole you make using a blade or small grinder.

A radio shack components kinda affair is what I'm looking for.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
John......I was waiting for that answer....LOL

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Fairly recently on here there was a story and pictures of someone who wired a garage door opener into the turn signal cancel button. I thought this was a great idea, and it seemed pretty easy. It was a 12v opener ( as most are) and got it power from the harness under the triple clamps area. Very neat......just a thought. Maybe be more complicated than what you're talking about ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It makes for a spiffy gadget - having the AGDO remote wired into the bike's 12V system. But why mess with perfectly good wiring for very little benefit?

The battery in a remote will last for years and utilizing it does not necessitate jacking with the bike's wiring.

Just open the case on the remote, jumper two wires onto the PCBA where the switch contacts and run those wores to an accessory switch. Accessory switch blocks can be had to mount on a master cylinder or lower panel. Then you have extra switches for more goodies.

·
Registered
755 Posts
As a ham radio operator for 30+ years and a computer systems tech at LM Aero, I have lots of gadgets. I guess I am behind on this topic....I still ride up and push the button with my finger. LOL

Here is a thought, if you don't have a CB installed. Since the button on a door opener is mearly a momentary contact switch, you should be able to wire your PTT circuit from the handle bar to close the circuit on the door opener. Ride up, press the PTT switch, door opens.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
kg5ie said:
As a ham radio operator for 30+ years and a computer systems tech at LM Aero, I have lots of gadgets. I guess I am behind on this topic....I still ride up and push the button with my finger. LOL

Here is a thought, if you don't have a CB installed. Since the button on a door opener is mearly a momentary contact switch, you should be able to wire your PTT circuit from the handle bar to close the circuit on the door opener. Ride up, press the PTT switch, door opens.
Yea, same as with the turn signal cancel button. Plus it's already layed out in pictures and instructions. I got my mini opener velcroed to the side of the meter panel......and I do ride up and push it.....works for me, but the gadget guys like .........well gadgets... to do this.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Our garage remote was not of the 12 volt type and was too large to stick under the top shelter. So what I did was take it apart and solder the wires from a push type switch to the remote's contacts. The remote was then wrapped in plastic and wired tied to the inside of one of the rear storage compartments underneath the rear speaker box. The new switch was placed in the compartment door. This does mean drilling a hole in the door for the switch button, but it is a cheap item to replace if I need to return it to original. Then I just reach back and push the button and open the garage.
The little battery in the remote has lasted almost two years now, and I have done nothing to the bike's wiring.
The other option I thought about was just to Velcro the remote to the inside of the compartment, but then I would have to open the door to use the remote. Plus, someone could see it and upon recognizing what it is have a key my house. Having it all wrapped up in plastic & wire tied you can't tell exactly what it is (Please don't tell anyone).

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
SpaGuru said:
John, your link to the schematic is dead...

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/images/door_control.jpg

Also the links on your Kennedy Product pages do not work either...
Amazingly enough, I pulled that schematic when I found the exact same thing being sold on e-bay (accompanied by my schematic).

I've edited the page to reduce the confusion (as well as fixing the links on the Kennedy page).

Just for an explanation, I built the High-Beam interface module to give you an option for an easy to install (plug and play with no bike wiring modifications necessary) way to interface your existing garage door opener remote to the bikes' controls.

The turn signal cancel button installation is clever, but requires cutting the wiring harness and soldering in a diode. Not something that necessarily bothers me, but not something I would be comfortable recommending for most of my customers.

Lewis sells the 'Flash to Pass' system which basically does the same thing my system does, but doesn't require dedicating an existing transmitter - some digital openers have a limited number of transmitters that can be associated with them and this device eliminates that restriction.

Chet's got a good breakdown of the procedure required to use the CB PTT button to trigger a remote on his pages as well.

Options are plentiful for this application.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Wingriderz said:
I took the KISS approach. Have the small Craftsman remote. I industrial velcro'd it under the top shelter across from the ignition key. Left side. I think I got this idea from onr of Fred's posts. You can't see it and I operate it by sticking my fingers under the side of the top shelter. It works well even with winter gloves on. Have had it there for over a year in all kinds of weather and it works like a charm.

Great minds think alike. :D

That is where I put mine also.

later..Randy

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from a college student.....

Final cost is about $1.15.

All you need is one 555 timer IC. No need for a relay b/c I doubt the remote draws more than 15 mA. Operating Specs of the IC is about 16 volts at 15 mA. (I assume this will work at 12 volts as well ????)

The following site has the schematic for a 1 second, oneshot, monostable oscillator (meaning it will pulse on for 1 second, then turn off until it's triggered again).
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#1

What do you guys think of this ????

·
Registered
621 Posts
I keep my remote in the the right front pocket and have the key with a knob on it for that pocket.Just unlock and push a button.I can do it while comeing down the driveway.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What's wrong with taking the remote that came with the garage door opener and attaching it with velcro to the dash ? That is where mine is, just above the LCD display.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Door openers are not water proof, so having them outside in the rain, can be a problem. I did the turn signal cancel method and the opener is inside the faring under the right pocket, in a plastic baggie.

Works very well. Yes you have to get into wiring harness and connect. Not a real big deal but some do not want to mess with alteration.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Re: from a college student.....

stangro said:
Final cost is about $1.15.

All you need is one 555 timer IC. No need for a relay b/c I doubt the remote draws more than 15 mA. Operating Specs of the IC is about 16 volts at 15 mA. (I assume this will work at 12 volts as well ????)

The following site has the schematic for a 1 second, oneshot, monostable oscillator (meaning it will pulse on for 1 second, then turn off until it's triggered again).
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#1

What do you guys think of this ????
Alot of useless information for the layman. :? :?

I have a backround in electronics, so I'm familar with the schematics, but I think most people would not understand what you are posting. :shock: :shock: :shock:

later..Randy

·
Registered
358 Posts
Stango: Thanks for the link. I'd never considered how the garage door openers work tied into the headlights or signal lites. Now I understand - neat idea.

Ken H>

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am not as smart as you guys so I got a small push button switch from Radio shack and mounted it in the panel just above the ignition area - I wired the switch to each side of the switch inside the garage door opener and velcroed the openener under the turn down to the left of the ignition -

I guess this would be the opener for idiots version.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I had the "monostable oscillator" once.....it made me feel real bad. I could hardly get out of bed.......but after some considerable bed rest, and prescribed medicine I was cured. 8)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
steve s said:
I had the "monostable oscillator" once.....it made me feel real bad. I could hardly get out of bed.......but after some considerable bed rest, and prescribed medicine I was cured. 8)
That there's funny, I don't care who you are!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts