GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many garage door opener solutions. However, many of them are far more complicated than I wanted. So, I simply soldered some wires to the buttons on my GDO and I cut the wires to the "memo1" and "memo2" buttons on the left panel. I soldered the GDO wires to the panel buttons. The "memo1" and "memo2" buttons are by far the least used buttons on my wing (I've never used them once), so this will make them buttons I'll actually use.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I wire mine into the CB PTT switch.. Since I'm never going to spend $700 to put a CB radio on my bike, it seems like a good bet.. Of course, I'll prolly have to spend some money undoing it if I ever sell the sweet darling...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wire mine into the CB PTT switch.. Since I'm never going to spend $700 to put a CB radio on my bike, it seems like a good bet.. Of course, I'll prolly have to spend some money undoing it if I ever sell the sweet darling...
where did you tie into it at got any pics?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'll have to think about it.. It's been five years since I did it.. You have to find the solder points in the remote (I used a $25 Sears remote) that, when jumped, activate the remote. Be careful soldering the wires into those points, too much heat and the remote is junk.. (Don't ask how I know..)

If you open up the switch case on the handlebar, it's pretty obvious where the wires attach to the PTT.. You have to disconnect the bike wiring, of course, then just attach the remote wiring. It's pretty straightfoward.

I used a piece of CAT 5 cable for the wiring. You don't need a heavy wire for it. As I'm recalling, what made this a more permanent affliction of he CB function is that i connected the other wires in the cable to the three switches on top, so I could use them as on-off switches for various things..

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just stuck a sears keychain remote to the back of my left glove box lid with 3M Tape... pop the lid, press the button and poof.. garage opens.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have been using a version of the Sears opener, with the button held down premanently, 12v soldered into the battery compartment, and a momentary switch to activate the 12v.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used the Barbara Eden version. :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just stuck a sears keychain remote to the back of my left glove box lid with 3M Tape... pop the lid, press the button and poof.. garage opens.
While this is an effective and simple solution, I have a problem attacking any issue on my bike that doesn't involve use of a power tool or a soldering iron. It's not about simplicity. It's about testosterone!!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
:agree:Mine is wired into the PTT wires under the seat. 6 inches of wire tapped into the plug.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I did similar. Velcroed a small remote inside the left fairing pocket. Its the same color and texture as the pocket and not noticable even when you open the lid. Definately the easiest and simplest way.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I bought a spare lift master remote for about $15 online, and I keep it in one of the inside pockets of my Tourmaster riding jacket with the white "button" facing outward. I simply press the front of my jacket to raise or lower the door.

This was the easiest solution for me. Regardless of which bike I'm on, I always have a remote door opener.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased a miniature remote. Then did the Key mods and velcroed mine to the inside on the fuel door.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pictures.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts