GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 1500 we used to keep an opener in the left pocket and just put a finger or two under the flap to activate. Now the door on the 1800 makes this inconvienent and we are thinking of doing something else.
Anybody have any experience with MOTOFX or the diy kit offered at http://www.usi-seattle.com/jon/DoorControl.htm

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hobnel bag

I had the same problem but I purchased the Hobnel bag for the right fairing pocket and I keep the opener in the top smaller part of the Hobnel bag and a camera in the lower portion of the bag. I never take it out of the bag.....I just press on the top of the bag to put presure on the opener and it works fine. I am not sure this is the type of information you are looking for but it works.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I just carry my key chain in the pocket of my jacket.

Jon does great work, so I'd say you can't go wrong with his set up!! :)

Y

·
0 Posts
MotoFx way to go

...especially if you have a older type of garage door opener. I recently added the MotoFx to our 1800 and love it. We used to carry the remote opener in the co-rider area and Boo Boo would be the operator of it. But on that rare occasion she wasn't riding with me, it was stop the bike, look for the dang thing then open. Now I just flip the high beams when I hit the end of the driveway and time I get to the garage I have a wide open door. (real handy when its raining)

Reason I said for older openers, the new ones have a roaming code where as the older was set by dip switches. If you have a newer (roaming code ) opener you'll have to buy a additional part (~$25). I like the MotoFx for being able to hide the thing (under the seat in our case) and you can hard wire it in to the High Beams or Turn Signals. Instructions are not bad, just have a service manual around to know which wire is which. Hope this helps!

Yogi :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
12 volt opener?

A lot of people carry it and some buy expensive solutions, I sort of like mine.

My opener is 12 volt, and that's the critical feature. I soldered four wires into it, two for the battery leads and then two for a momentary contact push button switch, about 1/4 inch in diameter.

I mounted the switch just under the shock controls on the left side and velcro'd the opener inside my left fairing against the outer wall. It's also inside a zip lock baggy, pretty much sealed from general rain and water. It's worked great for the last 18 moths and I never have to change the battery!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Garage door opener

My opener came with a small remote designed to attach to a key ring. I used some industrial strength velcro and attached it under the left edge of the gray shelter by the ignition. I hope I described that properly. If you feel under that edge you will see that there is space there. Once applied, no one can see it, it is well protected, and I can easily reach under there and touch the button to open the door. The best part is you don't have to remove the gray piece to perform the installation. It takes just a second to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey Jeff, great idea! I'm going to try that. I get tired of searching through the pocket of my riding jacket for the opener. :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I got tired of reaching for the keychain opener, so I took the regular large opener and wired it into the PTT lever on the left handlebar for the cb. Now all I have to do is hit the lever and up/down goes the door. I don't plan on ever having a cb, so this works for me. The opener is mounted inside the right shelter in front of the pocket.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I bought a momentary switch from McMaster/Carr for 6 bucks, drilled a 1/2" hole in left fairing pocket lid and installed it there. Ran 2 wires off it to a simple 2 wire connector. Then 2 wires out to the small (miniature) remote that I velcroed to the underside of the left pocket door. Soldered the wires to the circuit board of the remote, but you could use the switch locations.

Voila, less than 10 bucks, took 30 minutes. Now just perss a button. Time to change the battery? Undo 2 wire connector and out it comes from the pocket.

Leaving the bike for service and dont want to leave remote behind? out she comes!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jim,

As you can see from the replies, there are many options to doing this - it all depends on how much you want to spend, how handy you are and if you want to reach for a button or not.

I just sent you an e-mail with instructions on how to do this yourself, with links to the parts suppliers you'll need and the wiring schematic to make this a plug and play part.

The MotoFX unit is nice but very expensive for what you get and is not plug and play for the 1800. You can literally buy the parts to make this a plug and play installation to your remote for about $18.

You'll probably need a couple of hours to assemble the kit, make the harness and install it on the bike. After practice, you can do it in less than an hour.

Happy to help in any way I can... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Garage Door open option

I opened the clicker, soldered two wires from the printed circuit board
where the two button contacts are and ran them out to a small black
Radio Shack momentary switch. Pushing the switch is the same as
pushing the clicker switch.

Drilled a hole in the blank where the fog light switch would go and
mounted the switch in the blank. Buried the whole thing in behind
the left fairing control panel in a plastic bag.

Works just fine. If I ever put fog lights in I'll have to move the
switch somewhere else. Removing the wires from the clicker gets
it back to OEM if I sell the house.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: Garage door opener

Jim,

I installed a keychain remote in the same location as you. My installation includes an external momentary switch like what Chef describes. Because my remote is velcroed to the underside of the gray housing, the added switch just exits thru the left side flange of the gray housing. In this case the switch is a black nearly flush button that is very conveniently reached without looking like some afterthought installation. Total cost for new keychain remote at Lowes was about $25, and about $3 for the switch at RS. Works great with good range. Hope this helps some folks.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
I took the lazy cheap route, velcro the openner inside the right passenger cubby pocket it fits in the corner so well it's like not even loosing any storage space and cost was minimal, if I need the remote in my truck just remove it from bike, got the tip off this board in 2001. Maybe not as slick as some of the other suggestions but it's plenty handy for me and the money saved will buy a few more tanks of gas. :yw1:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jim - for over a year now I have kept my garage door opener velcroed out of sight on the right side of the key (underside and inside of the plastic cover (the vertical side)). I use industrial strength velcro covering one side of the opener and it is stuck like glue there unless I want to peel it off for say replacement of batteries or something. I can reach it very easily when I pull in the driveway with my right hand and it works perfectly (and no I never worry about it falling while I drive, it's there until I remove it).

DaleC

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Like the others said, just open up the control, pop out the circuit board and solder two thin wires at the button pads. Keep mine under the right locking pocket, and squeeze the two thin wires under the cover with a momentary switch. Locked under the pocket, only remove it when serviced, three second job to remove....just open the door.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The MotoFX BIGDO unit has been positively reviewed in many motorcycle publications. My neighbor has the unit and likes it a lot. He says it was an easy install. I know the MotoFX people have made presentations to Gold Wing groups and several riders have purchaed the unit. Finally, you can reach MotoFX 24/7.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I also did like "cycledude" velcro to wall of the right passenger pocket, easy to get to and cost maybe 50 cents.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I took the Goldwing emblem above the radio off and put some velcro in the slot and some on the back of the opener. Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
I bought a double garage door opener at the local hardware store. I don't have the CB and am not going to get one so I used one of the CB buttons as a switch. I ran three wires from the switch to the opener which is velcroed under the faring. Push up on the squelch and my garage door activates as does another door at my workplace. Push down on it and a different door activates. Only cost was the double progarmable opener, like $25 and a few feet of intercom wire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts