GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a lift that I built to raise/store my Bushtec trailer in my garage. It allows me to use the floor space for bicycles and other items that we use more often. I hope this helps anyone who might be thinking of taking on a project like this. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
That's just neater than Chit. :thumbup: Good job.

Move over, Fred.

We do need to see some naked foot though. :lol:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just neater than Chit. :thumbup: Good job.

Move over, Fred.

We do need to see some naked foot though. :lol:
I thought about going barefoot but that had already been done. Glad you liked the vid.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That is nice. A little over-engineered for the purpose, but nice just the same.

That lift would be great directly over the roof of a car in a garage. you could pull in under the platform and exit your car without ever needing the space that the trailer platform would occupy. When you pull your car into your garage, all of the space over the passenger compartment is generally wasted.

The double back pulley is good! It slows down the lift. I think with a bit more planning, you could have cut out a hole in the ceiling of the garage and re-framed the cut rafters. this would allow the trailer to disappear into the attic of the garage without affecting the strength of the roof itself.

I am building my "Man Cave" right now. I have a similar lift planned for my trailer, to set it up onto the roof over the office. I'll do a video when it is completed. Right now I am building the 12x16' room for the plasma cutter.

NICE job on the lift! The only thing I would have added was a short metal pipe with a threaded flange on top and bottom to pinch the drywall. It would give the cables something to hit without destroying the wallboard.

Logo Sticker Brand Graphics

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is nice. A little over-engineered for the purpose, but nice just the same.
Thanks, but as I said in the video, I took this idea from someone else... I'm not an engineer and didn't feel qualified to re-engineer what had already been proven to work. I'd much rather it be over-engineered than under-engineered. I'm sure I could've run the cables through eye bolts and attached them to a hand-cranked hoist screwed to the wall but that wasn't the look I was after.

That lift would be great directly over the roof of a car in a garage. you could pull in under the platform and exit your car without ever needing the space that the trailer platform would occupy. When you pull your car into your garage, all of the space over the passenger compartment is generally wasted.

The double back pulley is good! It slows down the lift. I think with a bit more planning, you could have cut out a hole in the ceiling of the garage and re-framed the cut rafters. this would allow the trailer to disappear into the attic of the garage without affecting the strength of the roof itself.
Didn't have the attic space to accomodate the trailer and again, didn't feel qualified to do any re-engineering.

I am building my "Man Cave" right now. I have a similar lift planned for my trailer, to set it up onto the roof over the office. I'll do a video when it is completed. Right now I am building the 12x16' room for the plasma cutter.

NICE job on the lift! The only thing I would have added was a short metal pipe with a threaded flange on top and bottom to pinch the drywall. It would give the cables something to hit without destroying the wallboard.
Maybe it appeared this way in the video, but the cables do not hit the sheetrock. On the hole I show from the top side, the paper backing on the sheetrock stayed attached when I drilled the hole from the underside. The cables drop straight through the holes and never touch the sheetrock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.