GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it is snowing in the northern part of Ohio this morning. :eek: I haven’t had a garden in a couple years, so I decided to plant one this year. LOL I planted peppers and cabbage last night. I may have to cover them once or twice. They say the last day of frost threat here is May 10. I was wondering what that date is where you live.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
May 10th here in Vancouver WA. I just uncovered my outside water faucets last week.

Reactions: Boomer1832cc

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Our pools are open and we are actively sunbathing now Boomer😁 If the water doesn't have ice on it, we will swim

·
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our pools are open and we are actively sunbathing now Boomer😁 If the water doesn't have ice on it, we will swim
LOL You must belong to the polar bear club!!! My youngest son had his boat out a week ago and jumped in the lake. I told him he was nuts. I know how the weather can be up there. Back in the mid 90's we on a fishing trip in Canada. Woke up July 4TH morning and there was a very heavy frost on everything. OH WELL, we were about 7 hours north of Grand-Remous, QC, Canada.

Stay safe my Canuck friend.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You too Sir.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We had 1-2 inches of snow yesterday but street was just wet. All gone today and it’s 50 outside. Gotta love this weather. 🙄

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was shoveling snow today... It's the snow bank on the back/shady side of the house. Trying to toss it where the sun hits it and get that crap melted so I can work on the lawn.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hey Boomer, what's a frost date? Don't think I've heard that term down here yet.....lol....good luck on the garden there.

·
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK! So what is the recommended freeze depth in your area. For our less learned friends from TX. LOL It is the recommended depth to bury a water line to keep it from freezing. I know it is not the same for different parts of Ohio. Here it is 18”.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
We are 4 feet.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
12" here in Vancouver WA

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Boomer.. Up here in Central Ohio (Bellefontaine area) the frost depth is 32" (I always heard it was 36" but I just looked it up) Here is where our garden is, it is currently on the grow racks in our great room. We start these from seeds, the transplant them into pots.. in the next couple days they will go out to the green house to acclimate to the outside temps. Then our recommended planting date in May 15. That is when these will go out in the garden. Last year I finished up I think 10 raised gardens 4'x20'. They work out great. Just thought I'd let you know how we do it up HERE in the central part of the great state!

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
OK! So what is the recommended freeze depth in your area. For our less learned friends from TX. LOL It is the recommended depth to bury a water line to keep it from freezing. I know it is not the same for different parts of Ohio. Here it is 18”.
Heck Boomer, around here, we just leave the hose laid out on the ground. If it's gonna freeze, we coil it up and let it drain as we coil it!!! Don't know what all the rush is with buryin' stuff!!!! LOL

·
Registered
20,827 Posts
Frost line that’s an interesting question so I attempted to look it up for my area, some of the first information found said water lines needed to be buried 18-24” , well at that depth I would be very worried about frozen lines !
But with a little more research I found this site to be much more believable , 70-80 inches for my area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Through a lot of scientific research, we have found the ideal day to plant is always two/three days after I plant my stuff. Its pretty much a guarantee that the last frost will be 24-48 hours after I do my planting. So, for all you wondering about when....I am planning on doing it Monday.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Looking good. Nothing like going out to the garden and picking some fresh veggies for dinner. (y)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts