GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turned on my GPS this morning and the screen is jumping and the touchscreen does not work. Anyone had this problem? Is there a fix other than sending it back?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got it to work, may just be temporary. Put finger on screen and started moving it back and forth real fast and it started working. Acted like it was locked up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interesting as I had the exact same issue this morning; no roads showed just a yellow background. I powered it off, then back on, and it worked.

Same thing has happened a few times over the last year and half. Came back last week from a weeklong ride through New England and when I got into Connecticutt I had nothing showing on the screen. When I pressed the speak, it knew whenI was but the screen appears to have locked. It wasn't until later that evening when it functioned normally.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Fuzzy recently told me that his unit and a friend's unit were both experiencing problems similar to these (these are both 2610 models). There's also been a number of reported 'moisture' or 'condensation' problems on both this board and the GPSPassion site lately.

I hope we're not seeing an age-related common failure for these units...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried turning mine on and off a couple of times but it still wouldn't work. I could go from page to page with the page button but that is all that worked. Nothing on the touch screen.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,533 Posts
Jon said:
Fuzzy recently told me that his unit and a friend's unit were both experiencing problems similar to these (these are both 2610 models). There's also been a number of reported 'moisture' or 'condensation' problems on both this board and the GPSPassion site lately.

I hope we're not seeing an age-related common failure for these units...
I don't think it's a age related issue because my 2610 has seen less than a year of service. My friends 2 month old 2730 is also having a condensation problem under the screen. Both of our units have been in the rain.

I think I have fixed my 2610 by opening the CF card compartment door while riding around to let the moisture escape from my 2610. The 2730 has no such compartment and my friend is going to send his unit back to Garmin. In any case I think it's a good idea to cover these units with some plastic wrap when it's raining.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2610 is only 6 months old and never been wet.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It did it with mine, also. The screen acted like it was being touched in the lower right corner, bouncing the bottom tab in and out. I carefully cleaned the screen and lightly sweep the edges with an old toothbrush to remove any dirt or grit in the area. It has not done it again since.

P.S. The sun was not at my back when this happened.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 2610 started doing this back in July. The screen wiggles and says it is "drawing".

I have had this GPS since 03/04 with no problems. I have V7 and problems started after last update (4.2? / 4.3?). GPS was not wet at the time. Sometimes it will also show no maps/roads in a partial section of the screen and will not update at that time. It is like it is frozen or thinking.

Sure hope someone figures this problem out!!

Dwight

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the moisture problem that Jon mentioned. I let it on the bike in North Carolina during several rainy days. (Bike cover on but still got condensation). After it dries out, an hour or so on the bike it works normal. The symptoms are: Loose all routing info, screen wiggles, sometimes screen reverts to hundred mile range, all you get when truing to use remote or controls is a bunch of beeps. I have learned to not leave the unit on the bike unless actually using it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to tech at garmin yesterday. He had me do a reset and update. Used it a little last night and it seems to be working better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts