GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a 2.2 GB Micro Drive rather than a 2 GB Compact Flash Card for the 2610? The Micro Drive is less than $200 and the Compact Flash is over $400.

Thanks,

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some forms of CF cards are noted to be incompatible with the 2610. I don't have my owner's manual with me at the moment, but I do recall exactly which ones are compatible and which are not.

G

·
0 Posts
The manual states:
"The StreetPilot 2610/2650 supports Type I and Type II CompactFlash data cards."

Also:
"CompactFlash cards are widely available over the counter, and you may purchase additional cards at many different retailers. Because Garmin does not manufacture these cards, it is possible that CompactFlash cards by certain manufacturers may generate radio frequency signals that interfere with the operation of your StreetPilot. These circumstances are beyond Garmin's control. If this occurs, please use a CF card from a different manufacturer."

No mention of microdrives that fit in CF slots. The microdrive might have a narrower operating temperature range. And I have to believe that CF data cards will be much more resistant to vibration than a microdrive with moving parts. The savings goes away when you buy that replacement microdrive. :wink:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I just got a SanDisk for Christmas. I have been playing with it for a few days and seems to work fine.

I have no experience with any other manufacturer.

Bulldog

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have yet to expand to such a big card...I'm a little fearful that it will slow down the mapwriting speed of the GPS. I believe the entire Mapsource North America disk is just over 1Gig, how big do we need to go? Has anyone loaded up a 2gig card and compared the speed? I don't know the access speed differences between the micro-drive and standard CF card, maybe something else to consider - as well as long term reliability. Let us know what works for ya.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1Gig card in my 2610 and can load close to 85% of the entire US. If I were doing it again, I'd probably go with one 512Meg card, because of the difference in price. Maybe a second 512 card and switch them when necessary.

I can't tell any difference in route calculation speed with the 1Gig card fully loaded and the card that came with the unit.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What card comes with the 2610? Thanks Joy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts