GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down today to meet the owners of the CycoActive motorcycle accessory company in Seattle and to pick up one of these new mounts to see how it could be adapted to the GL1800.

First of all, this thing is a German work of art! It's made of high-strength aluminum, fortified and braced in all the right places and looks overall to be a very well designed product.

One thing I liked about this mount is that it is metal - it will take a lot for this thing to give way on a Goldwing. In addition, it can be locked to securely hold your $800 investment in place. Granted, if someone really wants it, they'll find a way, but I think it would keep a casual walk-by thief away while you're in the restaurant.

Another thing I noticed is the clamping mechanism - the unit clamps down onto the GPS using three cushioned surfaces to prevent damage and when the unit is clamped in place, the angle of the top clamp bracket is such that it can't be lifted up. The unit, by design, is self-locking (this is without the key).

This means that a hard jolt can't cause the GPS to lift the clamp up, releasing itself. The only way to release the unit is to lift up on the back of the release tab at the top of the unit.

The key lock mechanism will keep the unit from being released and the key can only be removed in the lock position - this will force you to lock it in place each time.

The unit includes a stylus (held in place on the back of the mount) and a small clip to hold the power cord in place when you've got the unit removed.

I made a quick prototype bracket to see how it would mount, since the standard clamp is designed to attach to a handlebar. They sell a "universal" mount that will adapt this mount to the handlebar clamp bolts, but it's not tall enough to clear the switch housing on the 1800.

Here's a blurry picture showing the approximate location from the riding position: (seen a little low - I've got a 30" inseam and it just about completely covers the speaker)

Here's a side view:

I have no connection to them, you can buy them direct if you're interested. I might make a permanent mounting bracket for them (what's the use of mounting this on a RAM mount which is easily removable?).

More (and larger) pictures of this installation are available here.

The dash mounting location may be a little tricky because of the requirement for inserting and removing the key from the back of the unit, but I may work on that this weekend or possibly modify it for an electric remote release. :wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Jon, are you going to be selling the bracket for this if and when you get it perfected? It sure looks like a nice setup. I have been looking at the mount for a few weeks, but right now I am using a Ram mount and I was thinking that even with the lock on the bracket, anyone with half a brain could release the Ram mount and walk away with my 2610 and bracket. If you are planning to sell the bracket, there's no reasone for me to try to come up with something, as it seems like you just about have it figured out. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Jon said:
or possibly modify it for an electric remote release. :wink:
You da man! :D

They are the best mount made from what I've heard. But I like my GPS on the dash, so I'll have to come up with a different plan.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,

I'm not sure it can't be dash-mounted, it's just that I'll have to remove my windshield, remove my SPIII mount, prototype a new dash mount, re-install my OEM shield, test, revise and finalize the mount, remove my OEM shield, re-install my CB shield, test, revise and finalize this mount (if different) and then put everything back together again.

I'm sorry, but Bulldog had me on the phone too long last night and I couldn't do all that, plus making the handlebar mount and doing the laundry too! :lol:

I'll take a pic or two when I get it up there - I do intend to put it there, as it's where I prefer it, too.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
anything that adds security to the 2610 mounted on a wing should be a major help.

one of the reasons i didnt get a 2610 was the security concern

this looks to be an answer

loren

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loren,

The best security is for it "not to be there" I use the mount from VP and the 2610 disconnects very quickly and easily. I pop it off and put it in the trunk or take it in with me.

The metal bracket looks great, and I'm sure it's very secure, but I have to have it on the dash to be useful to me and the VP mount does the trick, and it's available now.

Steve

·
Registered
307 Posts
Jon, if you are making a wish list..... I'd sure like to see one of those mounts that fit on the dash WITH a Tulsa windshield with a vent. At any rate, i'm interested in the locking mount, even if Ihave to use it with a Ram mount. Will you be selling these or should I go to CycoActive? I'm in no hurry. I really like the fact that it is rubber shock mounted. let me know.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick,

Cycoactive currently doesn't have any "dealer" arrangements (or so they told me :wink: ) so there's really no benefit to me getting in the middle of a purchase. They currently have the locking units in stock but are waiting for delivery of the non-locking version (as of yesterday, anyway)

I have toyed with the idea of have the unit powdercoated - do you think there'd be much interest in a "glare-free" version? It would have to be broken down and then reassembled, and they said they have no plans to offer that from the factory.

My only involvement (until they offer me a discounted price, which I would immediately pass on to everyone) might be the creation of a more secure handlebar and dash mount option.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Jon said:
Mike,

I'm not sure it can't be dash-mounted, it's just that I'll have to remove my windshield, remove my SPIII mount, prototype a new dash mount, re-install my OEM shield, test, revise and finalize the mount, remove my OEM shield, re-install my CB shield, test, revise and finalize this mount (if different) and then put everything back together again.

I'm sorry, but Bulldog had me on the phone too long last night and I couldn't do all that, plus making the handlebar mount and doing the laundry too! :lol:

I'll take a pic or two when I get it up there - I do intend to put it there, as it's where I prefer it, too.
SLACKER!! :a13:

But if you used a dash mount, wouldn't it be the same as your reference to using a RAM mount, all someone would have to do is pulled the locked mount off the dash...
Or do you have a plan to make it a more permanent dash mount? What the heck, I've already got one hole in the dash for GPS/radar detector wiring.. I'm not scared to break out the drill again! :twisted:
That is what dash mats are for!! :D

You're the man Jon! Never cease to amaze!! 8)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're right, Mike: what good would a secure bracket be, if the mount itself could be removed? That's why the velcro idea for this application doesn't work too well...

It's a good thing I never throw anything away - last night I dug through my junk drawer and found a cool little micro-solenoid. I "temporarily" modified the mount and removed the lock assembly. (They use Loctite on the lock bolts - it took a lot of work to get out :x )

I then mounted the solenoid on the back of the unit and used it to "pin" the bracket in the locked position. When the solenoid is energized, the release tab can be activated and the GPS removed as normal.

Now all I have to do is re-do it all in a permanent fashion and then get to work on the mounting bracket.

The good news is that it will work, if I need it. I may find that I want to make the bracket extend the unit out far enough that the key access question is moot - time will tell.

My wife might be going to Idaho this weekend, so I may be sleeping in the garage... :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You just keep rasing the bar! You are incredible!

I was looking at the toratech mounts last night, and saw that it appears the lock for the SPIII model was on the top front, not the rear, so it might not be an issue using the SPIII mount. Not sure what route I will go... gotta give it some thought.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Okay, just placed my order for one ot those great Tourtech mounts. The young lady that I talked to told me about a "new" adapter that can be used with this mount and it fits into the threaded hole that is part of the Cycle Gadget ram base that fits on the brake/clutch lever. Take out the Ram ball, and screw this thing into that hole, and it will then support the Tourtech GPS mount. I ordered one and it if will not work I can send it back to them. They are also testing a Ram radar detector mount that will be available in a week or two. Very nice people to deal with. I also cancelled my order from a Garmin dealer for the motorcycle kit for the 2610. That cable is so stupid. I bought another of the standard cables , just like the one that comes with the 2610, I can cut the plug off the end and have a great 12volt cable with the audio wires there too. Its finally all coming together. :idea: Thanks to you Jon :!: :idea:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds great, Rick!!

I hope you told her where you got the ideas from - I tried getting a dealer arrangement set up with them so we can get better pricing, but she said "sorry - we don't do that".

I told her that if she started to get some sales for the 1800, I was going to go back and talk to her again!

Don't forget to post a picture when you get it installed (I was worried about the angle and position of the unit with that type of mount and the possibility of it blocking the view of the mirror - maybe I'm worrying about nothing :) )

·
Registered
307 Posts
Jon, I just called cycoactive back and removed that item from my order :cry: , I asked if it was the same part number you listed in one of your posts and it is :cry: . So...... I'll see what you come up with and see what I can come up with. I did tell them at Vycoactive that I am intouch with someone (you) that is working on a bracket that will work with the Goldwing and they did seem somewhat interested. So if you get it done, try selling them on it again. (any you don't even have to pay me a commission) :lol:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jon,

You have more people waiting and counting on you than a runner in the NY Marathon.

One would be me....LOL

Dawg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jon:

Neat mount, I plan to mount the one I ordered today on my Texelent bar. Hope that works out OK. I just wish the GPS mount was black instead of silver, it would look much better on my black wing.

-David

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking that I might disassemble this one and take it with me when I get my brackets powder coated.

It fits together so nicely that it might need "massaging" to get it back together correctly... another option might be to paint it black, but I'm not sure how well that would hold up. It's made of aluminum and the arm that clamps the radio is Stainless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts