GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for definitive answers on the Garmin 2610. I hope that this post does not turn into a general GPS thread. I don't have a lot of time to decide, so I am counting on you Guru's. I already have an SP III.

Garmin 2610 questions?:

1. I see that it is fully gasketed, but does it have the same water resistance as an SP III?

2. Any ideas on when the connectivity will be 100% compatible with the GL 1800 as far as power and voice?

3. Any ideas on what the upgrade will cost, when the compatibility issues are taken care of?

4. Has Texelent or any other manufacture produced a mount for this GPS?

5. Am I a fool, for even considering a 2610 at this time? Should I wait till they shake all of the bugs out, before purchasing?

6. Does anyone have experience with Garmins coverage in Canada. I have read Garmins propaganda about Canadian coverage, but would like to hear from the users.

Santa is loading the sleigh, so I don't have much time. Thanks to everyone that responds.

Bulldog

·
Registered
405 Posts
garmin 2610

I am completely happy with my 2610. I don't know a thing about the Canada coverage. The improvements over the GPSV are wonderful. I understand that RAM will have a mount and Garmin a voice/power cable out before the end of the year. I am under the impression that both items will total about $100. I currently tie-wrap the bean bag mount to the top of the clutch reservoir and plug the power cord into the left fairing pocket.

It is waterproof to the same extend that the V and the SPIII are. A complete list of features is available on the Garmin website. I am going to purchase a 2 gig chip to replace the 128 meg. The entire mapping program for North America is about 1.5 gig.

woody

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a key pad, that is there is not the toggle key. There are 4 keys that bring up the on screen menues. I have no problem with the touch screen, used full finger gloves only once. I like the remote best. I normally make adjustments and inquiries of the device while stopped.

During set up there is a page that allows you to do some test touching to adjust to you.

the screen should be about the same size as the SPIII, the unit is smaller because the toggle pad portion is not there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bulldog said:
I am looking for definitive answers on the Garmin 2610. I hope that this post does not turn into a general GPS thread. I don't have a lot of time to decide, so I am counting on you Guru's. I already have an SP III.

Garmin 2610 questions?:

1. I see that it is fully gasketed, but does it have the same water resistance as an SP III?

Yes.

2. Any ideas on when the connectivity will be 100% compatible with the GL 1800 as far as power and voice?

Within a month or so per Kennedy and RAM. However, it is possible to wire and mount them now with just a little work. Mine is mounted and totally integrated and works perfectly.

3. Any ideas on what the upgrade will cost, when the compatibility issues are taken care of?

I'm not sure what upgrade you're talking about.

4. Has Texelent or any other manufacture produced a mount for this GPS?

RAM is making a cradle for it that's supposed to be out anytime.

5. Am I a fool, for even considering a 2610 at this time? Should I wait till they shake all of the bugs out, before purchasing?

What bugs? I don't know of any. The software is fully upgradable at anytime just by downloading the current version from their website (I've done it twice already).

6. Does anyone have experience with Garmins coverage in Canada. I have read Garmins propaganda about Canadian coverage, but would like to hear from the users.

Sorry... can't help you there.

Steve Jarrell
Coral Springs, FL
'03 Black ABS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Touch Screen

Ken said:
I wonder about the touch screen. Can the keypad also be used? How does the touch screen work with leather gloves? Also, the screen is smaller isn't?
No keypad.... just function buttons on the right. The touch screen works just fine with gloves. No, the screen isn't smaller. The screen does have 256 colors and automatic brightness capabilities that the SPIII doesn't have.

Steve Jarrell
Coral Springs, FL
'03 Black ABS

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hope you got all of the answers you need....and I'll respond as well to #5. No, you are not a fool!! Unless you DON'T get the 2610! I am extremely happy with mine. I know that other versions are capable, but right now the 2610 is the best thing going, IMHO! Might as well jump in at the head of the game, that way in a few years you won't be so far behind!

·
Registered
20 Posts
eddy said:
The specs on the 2610 does show the screen is a bit smaller.
Eddie
I stand corrected.

The physical size of the screen area of the SPIII is .1" wider and taller (3.4" x 1.8" vs. 3.3" x 1.7").

However, the actual screen resolution on both is the same.... 305 pixels wide x 160 pixels tall. While I haven't compared two side by side, I'm guessing that either the pixels on the 2610 are a little smaller, or the SPIII has a small border around the outside of the active pixel area.

Steve Jarrell
Coral Springs, FL
'03 Black ABS aka "Bear"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts