GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like a new wing won't be in my immediate future so I've decided to start looking for a GPS. I've narrowed it down to either a Garmin 2610 or a 2720. GetFeetWet has refurb 2610's for $384.95. Wal-Mart has new 2720's for 594.00. For those who have had both which is the better deal? Is there enough difference in features to justify the difference in cost? How much better is the new TFT display in bright sunlight :?:

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Garmin 2610 or 2720

The 2610 is "old stock" let alone it having been refurbished.
I have been looking for a while, and was seriously considering the 2610. However the 2720 is a current model.
Further I have not seen a better price than what Walmart is currently offering.
I will be going with the 2720.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Geeze

Once you decide what you want, check out places like "pricegrabber.com and others. I believe that I found brand new 2610's on there last week for less than what you quoted.

Just a thought.

Bulldog

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like the 2610 display better from a standpoint of the fonts used. The 2610 voice pronounce the words better.

The 2720 is probably a little easier to use. The 2720 is faster. The 2720 has the ability to listen to traffic reports, but you have to pay for it. I've used the traffic report thing once and not real impressed.

If I had it to do over, I'd still get the 2720. I still have the 2610 and will keep it for other vehicles and a spare.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I had a 2610 and sold it a bought a 2720 I like it a lot better for one thing no maps to load some one said the voice was clearer on the 2610 i think the 2720 is better you just need to change it there are several options.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
dgamage said:
... The 2610 voice pronounce the words better...
The TTS (Text To Speech) translation used in the newer Garmin units takes a little getting used to. (Sounds more like a computer-synthesized voice, which it is)

Do you notice the difference when you select a standard (non-TTS) voice on the 2720?

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Had a 2610, sold it and went to the 2720. I like the 2720 better, I like the pre loaded maps, the 3D view option, and the view of the screen in the sunlight better...however, both unit would serve your needs fine....

get the best price, you may check ebay for some deals...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Jon wrote:
Do you notice the difference when you select a standard (non-TTS) voice on the 2720?

To tell you the truth, I realized I could choose different voices, didn't know some were non-tts. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: Garmin 2610 or 2720

pearlblue1800A said:
Don't you believe it...My 2610 was a refurb unit from GetFeetWet and No problems. It's my opinion (for what that's worth) the units are refurbished at Garmin in Kansas City, Ks. and tested there and are as good as, or better than new. Refurbished does not mean sub-standard.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't you believe it...My 2610 was a refurb unit from GetFeetWet and No problems. It's my opinion (for what that's worth) the units are refurbished at Garmin in Kansas City, Ks. and tested there and are as good as, or better than new. Refurbished does not mean sub-standard.

I've used Garmin for several years and would have believed the above, but I've returned my 2720, 3 times with a different one returned all with something different wrong. The 2720 is referbished from Get Feet Wet. I also returned my 2610 recently for problems and had it returned twice. I'm not sure Garmin is as careful as they used to be. About 1 in 5 tech reps would be fired if they worked for me.
[/code]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
dgamage said:

I've used Garmin for several years and would have believed the above, but I've returned my 2720, 3 times with a different one returned all with something different wrong. The 2720 is referbished from Get Feet Wet. I also returned my 2610 recently for problems and had it returned twice. I'm not sure Garmin is as careful as they used to be. About 1 in 5 tech reps would be fired if they worked for me.
[/code]
Hummmm....Guess I must have got a good one! :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have also used both the 2610 as well as the 2720. I bought the 2720 because of the TTS and better display. Took a little getting-used-to, but now I really like it. I especially like the fact that, with TTS, it says the name of the street on which I am to turn, meaning that I do not necessarily have to look down at the display in order to know where I am to turn.

I like the bird's eye view, which is new on the 2720. Previously, I preferred the north-up display on the 2610, but have gotten used to the 3-D display.

I have loaned the 2610 to my sister and brother-in-law, as they want to learn to use a GPS. Just bought a new SUV with NAV in it, so am learning to use its system - not quite as helpful as the Garmin units, but useful nonetheless.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Garmin 2730

For $668, you can get the 2730 (with XM). It's discontinued, but get feet wet just matched another's price and bought it.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
dgamage said:
... I've used Garmin for several years and would have believed the above, but I've returned my 2720, 3 times with a different one returned all with something different wrong. The 2720 is referbished from Get Feet Wet. I also returned my 2610 recently for problems and had it returned twice...
This means that you're probably second to LaMont in the number of returned/repaired units! :shock: If you were Topster, you would've had to change to a different brand after your second return.

People never believe me when I tell them that Garmin has their issues too - they're just not as widely publicized when they fail as the Lowrance units are for whatever reason.

If this is your first GPS, I would go with the 2720. It's a little easier to use and you won't miss the 'advanced features' that they left off of their newer models.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I had a problem with my 2730 when I first bought it. The light sensor on the screen didn't work properly and sometimes the screen would just go totally blank.

I sent it back and they sent me another unit promptly and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Garmin doesn't give you any instructions in the manual about Avoidance Setup and I finally figured it out and now it doesn't route me off the interstate every time I turn around. Very annoying but I have Interstate Preferred now and it is working as it should. There are alot of things that you have to figure out on your own or by asking others which leaves alot to be desired but now it is working fantastic.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Re: Garmin 2610 or 2720

pearlblue1800A said:
I bought my 2610 refurbished and saved money. You can't tell the difference between a refurbished and a new unit and you would never know it if you weren't told. The refurbished unit has the same warranty as a new unit and with getfeetwet.com I got a second year of warranty. There is no down side to buying a refurbished unit, at least from Garmin. I would go for the money savings and buy a refurbished unit again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts