GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is for the 2610 guru! You know who you are!
If you download a map to the gps, can you only view it outdoors?
The only map I see is the demo (china).
Also, on the computer, when I look at a city I can't see hardly any detail. I see only major roads.
I think the more I read the manuals, the less I know.
Help!!

G

·
0 Posts
If you can power it up at least once in view of the sky (satellites) and let it figure out where it is, then each time you power it up after that, it will show the position where it was when you shut it off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Once it figures out where it is, you will not see China anymore!! Unless you drive there.... You're not seeing detail roads for a city because you likely don't have the detail maps loaded for that city. Make sure you've downloaded the maps from Mapsourse then you should see the detail when you zoom in. Also, when using indoors, use the menu button to select "use indoors" so it won't sit there trying to find the satellites thru your roof!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<on a computer -- when I look at a city I can't see hardly any detail>

Are you saying that regardless of how closely you step down to view your computer map, there is no detail or businesses shown on your map of a respective town? What program version are you viewing?

Make certain you also have the most current "map details" version installed too, which is presently V 5.4. If not, then download and install.
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_ ... jsp?id=209

DaleC

·
Registered
837 Posts
I haven't used a 2610 yet, but if it's like all the rest, make sure you have your unlock code set up in the map program. Then, the closer you zoom in, the more detail you get in the cities.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am disappointed in the city detail of my home, Paris, texas. I know there is an address of 505 33rd NE St.
When I search Mapsource on the computer (not on my 2610) is shows no item found. The same is true for several other addresses.
I am I doing something wrong or is the detail lacking?

·
Registered
837 Posts
What I have found with Mapsource is that if a known address is outside the city limits as Mapsource has it identified, you'll get the no item's found message. My cousin's address is a street #, in Asheville NC but a search wouldn't locate it. I found it by looking over the map till I found the street. Although her address is Asheville, she's outside the city limits.

If you know the area the street is in, zoom in and hunt for it. Yes, it's a pain. I don't like doing it that way either.

Good luck, you'll find it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is this it?

The ver 5 and ver4 software seems to think the addresses are running in the 800's instead of the 500's on that street. Turn right off of Pine Mill rd. towards Ridgeview Rd. 505 is five addresses from the intersection of Pine Mill R. and 33rd St. NE. I find it easily on Mapsource Metroguide and it is addressed as 505, but it's strange the ver 5 software is saying 802. I can't figure this one out either, but here is the Metroguide info. N33 39.973 W95 30.944 Is this the place you're looking for?

Garmin's software works well in most cases, but it is not perfect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim H., you are correct. I live in that block so I was aware that the 800 # are wrong.
Is the map you found it on usable in the 2610?
mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Stapler101, I haven't tried the Metroguide software on my 2610, so I don't know if it will work or not. It does work on the SP111, so I would guess it will work on the 2610 too. I really don't like the Metroguide as much because of the outdated info. I would think the mistakes found in ver5 are far less than the old outdated info found in my version of Metroguide (ver3). I have had that software for over two years. I'll give it a try when I have a chance and let you know for sure if it works or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts