GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2610 and (for now) plan on using the 12 volt power / speaker hook up on my 1800.
I have a cigarette lighter plug in the left compartment but I'm not going to be able to hear the speaker. (assuming I could even close the compartment door)
What I need is a cigarette lighter extension cord. That would enable me to plug in, close the door, and then plug into the extension outside of the compartment. (I know this is gonna look ugly)
All I have been able to find is one with a 10 foot cord. A bit excessive for my application.
Does anyone have an idea where I might find one with a short cord?
Dont get after me to buy a new harness that lets me hear the GPS through my head sets. I dont use the intercom and right now money is tight.
If there is a harness out there that would let me power the unit and have the sound come through the bikes speakers then I would get after my wife to free up more money. :wink:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I contacted Jon a member of this board at http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/ I use a splitter that gives me iPod and 2610 and the voice prompts come through the speakers overriding the music from the iPod on aux. Great product and Jon is easy to deal with.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Radio shack has what u want, two female receptacles comming off 1 male receptacle, both about 1 foot long, just cut one of them off.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'm not "gettin after ya", but this cable is $35 from Garmin and will allow you to hear it through your speakers.

This solution is better than the 12V adapter with the speaker on it. You'd never be able to hear that one.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
What I need is a cigarette lighter extension cord. That would enable me to plug in, close the door, and then plug into the extension outside of the compartment. (I know this is gonna look ugly)
Yes it will ... so
get the extension cord from radio shack (less than $10)
take out the left pocket and if you don't wish to cut and splice your new cord to the back of the old existing lighter
then
at least just cut the wire to length
make a small hole in the side of the pocket
run the cut wire through the small hole
and reconnect the male end of the cig extension.
Plug it in to the existing cig lighter that you have.
Now you won't have to bring the wire out the cover.

Then look down the left side of the "tunnel" where the handlebar comes up
you'll see some black plastic with some Honda wires running under it
there is enough room there to bring your extension cord through there too
leave enough wire to reach where you want to mount the Garmin.

it's much easier than it sounds ...

Dennis

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Eagle Eye said:
Rastoff, "will allow you to hear it through your speakers. "
Bike speakers only & not the helmet,, right?
Well the best answer is...not that simple. I just learned that the audio out on that cable is a 2.5mm not 3.5mm. That means you would need an adapter to hook it up to the Aux in your left pocket. Further, it's only a mono output so it would be best to hook it through your intercom. The intercom only plays through the helmet.

If you hook it through the Aux, it will paly through your speakers or helmet depending on what you choose on the radio.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I found one in auto dept. at Walmart . You could get some place like auto zone to order one if they don't have it . You can always shorten the ext. if your careful .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are all great answers and I thank you for the input.
I sent an e-mail to Garmin tech support and they said:
"You can connect another (external) speaker to the unit. It uses a standard 3.5MM phono plug."
NOT. There is no "audio out" port on the unit.
They might be talking about the wire Rastof was talking about.
I would expect I could get a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter at Radio shack but where in the wiring harness do I plug it in?
I have NO idea what is under the left pocket so make NO assumptions as to my intelligence when it comes to the 1800 wiring. I am guessing that with Rastof’s Garmin wire I hot wire it to the battery and then (with the adapter) plug it into something under the left pocket. Then when I select “aux” on my bike the sound would then come through the speakers on the dash.
Wingwing's idea looks best for me right now. It is the "best for dummies" (It was 6 below this morning so I have plenty of time to figure this out before riding season starts)
Jon at http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/ has some great systems but the wife gave me the "look" when I suggested buying one. The $$$ is not in the budget.
I don't think hearing the Garmin speaker will be a problem for me. In the car full volume is actually to loud.

·
Registered
683 Posts
RK-first, the power/audio cable (of which I have 2) that Rastoff mentioned could be used in the following manner. I just took apart the junction of the cable. (Radio shack has no adaptors) What I found is the white and brown wire are used for the audio output of the unit. They run full length of the cable, but are cut at the junction to add the audio receptacal. IF you (or someone with some soldering experience) could remove the audio connection, reconnect the brown and white wires, you could then add an external speaker where you wanted to. I did find a nice little (2 1/4) waterproof one at West Marine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts