GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we just got back from the IHRA Banquet in Covington Kentucky using my 2610 for navigational purposes.
It was unbelieveable how well Cindy worked. (there were 8 of us in the van) so we called her Cindy because of the female voice telling us where to go. :lol:
At any rate this piece of electronic marvel was spot on all the way from Forest Ontario to Covington Kentucky and back. 21 hiway to 402 to I94 to I75 to the Hillton Hotel in Covington which just across the river from Cincinatti Ohio.
We had a great time at the banquet and Steve brought home his Iron Man Trophy, World Championship ring and a $55,000.00 check.
We were rubbing shoulders with all the top IHRA drivers. Can't wait for the drag racing season to start again.
http://www.pbase.com/djstefanik/2003_ih ... n_kentucky
http://www.soslube.com

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have had my garmin ique 3600 for only about a week

i have done some couch trips with it and it works very well also. i even tried to trick it with little roads that are no where, it found them.

even got out the big 80 page state atlas, found some real short out of the way roads and again no problem.

i like my toy alot already

loren

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I started with a GPS-V, graduated to a Stret Pilot III, and plan to get a 2610 soon. The garmin autorouting units have always continued to impress me. there have been a few times I was "sure" the GPS was in error, and I knew where to turn. As it turned out, the GPS was right, I was wrong. I've learned to trust it more thn my own sense of direction.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Just a note to any future 2610 purchasers. Unless you don't care if the voice comes over your headset, there is not in existence. to date, a Kennedy cellset.

You can get a cradle and a Ram mount for it. But not a Harness.

I just received this weekend, an Email from Jon at Kennedy, that he does not at this time have the parts necessary to build the harness. A get well date was not given.

I sure hope, that I don't have to mount my 2610 with the cable and speaker in the left pocket. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 2610 on the bike.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve,

That price can be beat by better than 25% at GPSDISCOUNT.COM and I am sure there are other discount houses with much better prices than Best Buy.

That is a lot of money to save for a trinket.

Bulldog

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I just sent an Email to Garmin. I doubt that it will help anything or anybody. But some times when one gets frustrated, it is good just to vent.

Below, is what I sent them:

Hello,
I am a long time owner of many fine Garmin Products. I have recently purchased the 2610, to replace my SP III. I have been working diligently with the motorcycle after market providers (Kennedy Enterprises).

It is my understanding from them, that Garmin has yet to release the cradles or the harness parts necessary to make the harness and make the 2610 compatible for motorcycle installation.

If this is the case, I am getting frustrated with Garmins response to the motorcycle community. I belong to many Honda GL 1800 web sites, and the 2610 subject comes up very often, in fact daily.

With Garmins lack of response to fill the motorcycle aftermarket niche. I would be very hard pressed to recommend the 2610 to any of my fellow riders.

The riding season is very soon to start. Garmins follow up on a new product has fallen short in my opinion.

Thank You
Luther A, Hitt

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ok now I am going to tilt my head something like when you talk to your dog.

You mean to tell me that all GPS are portable? or least this one is. I have seen everyone talking about them before, but just assumed that you have to have it mounted. I personally dont care for them to be mounted, but didnt know it would work otherwise. Are their any features that you lose by not having it mounted permnamently.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve,

Both the SP III and the 2610 are portable, if you are talking about from one vehicle to another.

The power difference between the two of these, is that the SP III has a battery source to operate, and the 2610 does not.

Mounting in a vehicle, is as simple as locking your GPS in a locking bean bag, with no mounting holes or tape. The early SP III did not come with the bean bag, but both the 2610 and the SP III do now.

I use my GPS in both the cage and on the bike.

Hope this helps.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
SC Steve said:
Ok now I am going to tilt my head something like when you talk to your dog.

You mean to tell me that all GPS are portable? or least this one is. I have seen everyone talking about them before, but just assumed that you have to have it mounted. I personally dont care for them to be mounted, but didnt know it would work otherwise. Are their any features that you lose by not having it mounted permnamently.
Steve,
Most of them are portable. Mounting them is just a way of putting them where you can see them. I take mine off my bike and put it in it's beanbag mount on the dash of my truck, take it in the SO's car when we travel in it.

The 2610 is actually a little less "portable" as it doesn't come with internal batteries, so it has to be hooked up to work, where the others will run on internal battery power.

I liked my GPS V because it is small enough to hand carry. I took it to Hawaii and used it to find touristy places, resturaunts, and to navigate around the island for the 2 days I rented a car.

Nothing permanent about the mounting.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Whiz,

Thanks for that link. Even though it is not available as of yet. ( I kinda knew this). That is a sweet price $39.95 for the Cradle and the harness. The harness that they are showing, is the equivalent to the "Euro Style", that I have seen elsewhere. That is exactly what I want, as I want to hook the GPS "Hot" to the E/C power block.

Bulldog

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but can't you buy an additional power cable assembly (w/speaker) and modify it? Are they not able to ship those additional cables? (I assume so, if Kennedy can't buy them to provide them to everybody)

Personally, I would use the metal Touratech mount over the plastic cradle.

(But that's just me... :) )

·
Registered
115 Posts
Jon, yes as a matter of fact you Can use an additional power cable and modify it. That is exactly what I've done, been working great for a couple of months now. I bought a connector at radio shack, wired it to the audio wires in the cable, and plugged that into my Kennedy Cellset.

Hooked up that way, my V-1 and 2610 both work fine, although the audio level is a little high on the 2610, requiring me to keep the 2610 audio level at the lowest setting. It'll do just fine until the "real deal" hits the market. If I was moving it back and forth from bike to car, I'd build an attenuator of some sort, so I didn't forget, which might do nasty things to my bikes audio. However, mine stays on the bike. :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jon,

Now you have gone and done it again.

I thought I had everything pretty much lined up for my 2610 hook up. I did not even know about this company.

I really like the Locking Mount for the 2610. Only mount that I have ever seen that has a key lock to secure the GPS in the mount. I hate leaving the GPS on the bike when I stop at a gas station or fast food place for a quick stop. This will eliminate my concerns quite a bit.

I did not see on the site how one would mount this on the GL 1800. Says it will kook up on 1/2" bars. I didn't see any half inch bar on my bike. I am going to search that site from head to toe. They might have something on there that I missed.

That is an excellent site, even if you are not interested in a mount. Lots of discussion on vibration, fuses etc.

So you see, you done it again, and I am glad that you did. :lol:

Now I have to go find some more money...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
307 Posts
touratech mount

Bulldog, I just check the web site and it does say you can use a RAM mount. So you don't have to use the 1/2 bar mount. Only problem with using a RAM mount is there would be no way to lock the gps to the bike. Anyone can just loosen up the RAM mount and walk away with your 2610. Still the Touratech mount looks great. I may have to have one. :wink:

·
Registered
276 Posts
You are right, they could also just load the bike on their flatbed truck and drive off. In reality that seldom happens. In the past I have spent a lot of time worrying about my GPS or my XM radio or other toys being ripped off of the bike. But you know, I've watched people looking at the bikes, people always look at the pretty (Orange) bikes, but no one ever touches, not even the kids. The seem to be either mesmerized or totally intimadated by the machine.

My GPS stays on the bike all the time, if I'm traveling, it stays powered on until I stop for the night. The bike normally gets covered when I'm on the road and the GPS does just fine perched there on the handlebars under the cover all night long. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm in New Mexico, Florida, North Dakota, Wisconsin or anywhere else in between.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Glad I could help, Bulldog! Always ready and willing to help a fellow biker part with their money :D

This is the mount that I was discussing with Pete and either adapting it to the Texelent bar, or a custom metal dash mount, depending on his preference.

These things are a work of art, and the lock might be just enough to make someone look elsewhere for their next accessory. I've done like Rodney has with my stuff with no issues yet, but someday someone might decide that they'd like to take the risk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jon:

I've mounted the 2610 using the Touratech mount on my Texelent Bar. It's in the center of the console where it can be seen without having to look off to the side. it's also slightly tilted.

I'll try to take some pics this weekend and get them up here. I also used the 6-hole plate that Texelent sells, I had to remove the bottom plate from the Touratech and line it up with the Texelent pate, then drill out the Touratech mounting holes just a bit to get the 4 stainless steel screws to line up mounting the 2 plates togeter. I then mounted the Touratech bottom plate back in place on the Touratech assembly. Next mounted the assembly to the Texelent Bar. ROCK SOLID!!!!

Regards, David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.